What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

algae and seedlings

• Thread starter marnaudo
  • Start date
hello,
I am a beginner and I am trying to grow sundews from seed for the first time. I guess I kept the mix too wet, and now some pots are starting to develop a film of green algae on top. Is it imperative to remove it? Of so, how do I remove it without losing the seeds right under it (if such a thing is possible)?
Thanks!
Marco

Yeah sounds like things are too wet. Moist is good, sopping wet is not. The algae can easily smother your seeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any amount of moisture is enough to allow algae to grow, the issue is too high a nutrient level in the soil. At this point trying to remove the algae without losing seeds is a nearly lost cause, and to avoid this issue in the future thoroughly rinsing the soil components and perhaps putting a layer of sand on the surface will help.

Depending on what is growning, sometimes these may help: increase light, increase air movement, lower moisture/humidity level. Do you have a photo of it? We could try to point you in the right direction, if there is one.

Back