What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ample Sunlight From West Balcony?

• Thread starter summit
  • Start date
I’ve been in the process of starting up my collection since I’ve moved for school. My new setting is on a 3rd floor balcony that faces west. I am wanting to purchase some Sarras but the only thing holding me back is, are they going to get enough light? I recall reading something about if you can grow tomatoes in the area there’s enough light for Sarras, is this true?

It's a pretty good general rule. Sarracenia will be happy in a place where you would grow garden crops like tomatoes. If your balcony gets at least 5 or 6 hours of direct light I would think that it is bright enough.

It's a pretty good general rule. Sarracenia will be happy in a place where you would grow garden crops like tomatoes. If your balcony gets at least 5 or 6 hours of direct light I would think that it is bright enough.

Awesome to hear. I had the tomato from a small plant and it’s quite the plant now. Is there any way to average the amount of direct light it receives besides checking where the light touches throughout the day?

I don't know of one, are there trees that shade the area as well or is it pretty much sun from when it comes over your home until it sets? As Grey Moss said, having the tomato plant do well for you may have opened the door to at least a test Sarracenia. =)

I don't know of one, are there trees that shade the area as well or is it pretty much sun from when it comes over your home until it sets? As Grey Moss said, having the tomato plant do well for you may have opened the door to at least a test Sarracenia. =)

I’ll pay extra attention today as the afternoon comes but I’m almost positive the building in front of me doesn’t. I’ve had the tomato for about five months now and it’s doing fine so fingers crossed. I was actually able to salvage some of my old collection so I do have some Sarras (Chipola and Rubra x Gulfensis), big pot of typical traps, and one or two of your basic tropical and rosetted Dews. The dews seem to be doing fine but they’ve only been out for about a month and the Sarras/traps are dormant so I can’t judge the light perfectly. I’m just wanting to expand the collection before Spring which is why I question the light levels.

Well judging by my red Capensis's new growth, I don't believe the balcony receives enough sun... I guess I'll have to look into artificial lighting if I wanna continue from here.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="t9JJ9RS"><a href="//imgur.com/t9JJ9RS">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mine are growing on a west facing balcony, open wrought iron railing. For the most part they do fine, flowering (if mature enough) every year and crowding the pots. Some of the sun-lovers like S. 'Adrian Slack' and S. 'Leah Wilkerson' may not achieve their full coloration potential but they still look nice. Flashy reds like "Dana's Delight" (or what ever the preferred spelling is) and S. 'John's Autumnal Splendor' get as colorful as any of the photos I've seen of them.

Mine are growing on a west facing balcony, open wrought iron railing. For the most part they do fine, flowering (if mature enough) every year and crowding the pots. Some of the sun-lovers like S. 'Adrian Slack' and S. 'Leah Wilkerson' may not achieve their full coloration potential but they still look nice. Flashy reds like "Dana's Delight" (or what ever the preferred spelling is) and S. 'John's Autumnal Splendor' get as colorful as any of the photos I've seen of them.

Everything is putting out new growth including the Sarras but isn't a bad sign that the Capensis isn't putting out any red leafs? I've timed the amount of direct sun they get and it's just only 4 hours.. perhaps that time will increase after winter?

Unless your capensis is a specifically red-leaved form, then it's as red as it needs to be already.

Unless your capensis is a specifically red-leaved form, then it's as red as it needs to be already.

Granted it was under my old indoor setup. It was sold to me as a red leaf.

IMG_6792.jpg

It is really awesome but I'm confused about the balcony receives enough sun for its growing. I had a plan to make an indoor garden in your apartment and it was exciting for me. I took best care for those. These best [advertising removed] which are really helpful for my indoor gardening . If it is possible to find space within your house that you can easily turn green by creating a lovely indoor garden there.

Watch out! George is going to build a garden in YOUR apartment. If any mod reads this post I think he is an advertising bot

Watch out! George is going to build a garden in YOUR apartment. If any mod reads this post I think he is an advertising bot

I really like the look of your living room but am not sure is there enough room for my hot tub? :0o::lol:

Last edited:
Back