User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ample Sunlight From West Balcony?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ample Sunlight From West Balcony?

Iíve been in the process of starting up my collection since Iíve moved for school. My new setting is on a 3rd floor balcony that faces west. I am wanting to purchase some Sarras but the only thing holding me back is, are they going to get enough light? I recall reading something about if you can grow tomatoes in the area thereís enough light for Sarras, is this true?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a pretty good general rule. Sarracenia will be happy in a place where you would grow garden crops like tomatoes. If your balcony gets at least 5 or 6 hours of direct light I would think that it is bright enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    It's a pretty good general rule. Sarracenia will be happy in a place where you would grow garden crops like tomatoes. If your balcony gets at least 5 or 6 hours of direct light I would think that it is bright enough.
    Awesome to hear. I had the tomato from a small plant and itís quite the plant now. Is there any way to average the amount of direct light it receives besides checking where the light touches throughout the day?

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't know of one, are there trees that shade the area as well or is it pretty much sun from when it comes over your home until it sets? As Grey Moss said, having the tomato plant do well for you may have opened the door to at least a test Sarracenia. =)
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    I don't know of one, are there trees that shade the area as well or is it pretty much sun from when it comes over your home until it sets? As Grey Moss said, having the tomato plant do well for you may have opened the door to at least a test Sarracenia. =)
    Iíll pay extra attention today as the afternoon comes but Iím almost positive the building in front of me doesnít. Iíve had the tomato for about five months now and itís doing fine so fingers crossed. I was actually able to salvage some of my old collection so I do have some Sarras (Chipola and Rubra x Gulfensis), big pot of typical traps, and one or two of your basic tropical and rosetted Dews. The dews seem to be doing fine but theyíve only been out for about a month and the Sarras/traps are dormant so I canít judge the light perfectly. Iím just wanting to expand the collection before Spring which is why I question the light levels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well judging by my red Capensis's new growth, I don't believe the balcony receives enough sun... I guess I'll have to look into artificial lighting if I wanna continue from here.

View post on imgur.com

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are growing on a west facing balcony, open wrought iron railing. For the most part they do fine, flowering (if mature enough) every year and crowding the pots. Some of the sun-lovers like S. 'Adrian Slack' and S. 'Leah Wilkerson' may not achieve their full coloration potential but they still look nice. Flashy reds like "Dana's Delight" (or what ever the preferred spelling is) and S. 'John's Autumnal Splendor' get as colorful as any of the photos I've seen of them.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Mine are growing on a west facing balcony, open wrought iron railing. For the most part they do fine, flowering (if mature enough) every year and crowding the pots. Some of the sun-lovers like S. 'Adrian Slack' and S. 'Leah Wilkerson' may not achieve their full coloration potential but they still look nice. Flashy reds like "Dana's Delight" (or what ever the preferred spelling is) and S. 'John's Autumnal Splendor' get as colorful as any of the photos I've seen of them.
    Everything is putting out new growth including the Sarras but isn't a bad sign that the Capensis isn't putting out any red leafs? I've timed the amount of direct sun they get and it's just only 4 hours.. perhaps that time will increase after winter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast