What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it safe to ship during cold weather?

I'd like to order some CPs for a new terrarium setup. However, highs here hover between 30 and 45 for the next two weeks, and who knows after that. I've already waited a week due to freezing temperatures.

Is it safe for me to order in plants now, or will the cold damage them in transit? Should I wait until the weather warms up? If the latter, what is a good target temperature to wait for?

It depends on what you're trying to ship. Temperate plants will be completely fine while you will want to wait or get tropical plants shipped with a heat pack.

It depends on what you're trying to ship. Temperate plants will be completely fine while you will want to wait or get tropical plants shipped with a heat pack.

Thanks; I ordered a few in today.

depends.

is it worth risking buying frozen lettuce?

With most of the united states experiencing freak cold snaps
and extreme weather, I would be extremely hesitant to order any kind of plant.

depends.

is it worth risking buying frozen lettuce?

With most of the united states experiencing freak cold snaps
and extreme weather, I would be extremely hesitant to order any kind of plant.

That was my concern too. However, based on the USPS estimated delivery time, I figured where the package would be at each day. Today they should still be on their way out of the South where it's still pretty warm. By tomorrow when they make it up closer to me, our temperatures swing upwards considerably. Temps don't go down again until Saturday, and the package should be here by then. Here's hoping, anyway. :)

I probably still would have waited, but the retailer I ordered from lists on their shipping page that they use heat packs, so I'm hoping that will provide a reliable extra layer of protection as well. And I only ordered the temperate plants; I'll wait for March to order the tropicals.

For these reasons, many young plant growers use a heating system to specifically increase the root zone temperature. A common rooting temperature target is 73 to 77° F. To accomplish this, propagators who grow on the floor use in-floor heating, which is usually installed when the greenhouse is built.

For these reasons, many young plant growers use a heating system to specifically increase the root zone temperature. A common rooting temperature target is 73 to 77° F. To accomplish this, propagators who grow on the floor use in-floor heating, which is usually installed when the greenhouse is built.

This has nothing to do with the concern in this thread, and is an entirely unrelated subject concerning propagation (one which does not apply to many if not most carnivorous plants to boot).

This George Vance guy haha, he just chimes in with irrelevant info on posts. This isn’t the first time. It’s like a computer detecting key words and then pumping out an random somewhat relevant response...

I sent him a PM yesterday, we will see what comes of it.

I probably still would have waited, but the retailer I ordered from lists on their shipping page that they use heat packs, so I'm hoping that will provide a reliable extra layer of protection as well. And I only ordered the temperate plants; I'll wait for March to order the tropicals.

That begs the question: what kind of heat packs are they using? For winter shipments to the "Great White North", 72hr heat packs are often the only smart way to go. And even then, if there is a delay due to weather or incompetence, the heat pack will likely be done before the plants reach their destination. Much a plant's journey will not be spent in a heated area. This raises the odds of cold damage or death.

Hopefully they will arrive safe and sound. Personally, I'd have advised waiting until spring temps have arrived and will stay.

Well, I never received an email with the tracking number or anything, so I contacted the company. They said they track the weather and don't ship if it looks questionable, so they were holding my order until at least Monday. So I feel better that someone with experience is watching things and deciding when to ship. Hopefully everything will arrive safe and sound. :)

Back