Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What am I doing wrong

This is the second time I'm trying to grow VFTs, Drosera's,and Sarrasenta's from seed.
    I did a stratification on them for 6 weeks put them in the soil and have had them under a grow light since the day I sowed them
    in front of a picture window facing the east. their 70 days of germination ended Feb. 13 and we are at 100 days now, does it usually take this long?
    I sprayed them with a fungicide which doesn't work on the mold it keeps coming back.
    Is there something I'm doing wrong or am I just rushing them?

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't speak for vft or sarr seeds, but with the Drosera I have done, I have always had the best results when I put the pots outside in the sun. Don't know if the heat was helpful or even the UV exposure. (There are a number of non carnivorous plants whose seeds require exposure to the sun's UV rays in order to germinate.)

Should it take so long for Dros seeds to germinate? No. But can it? Yes. I have had seedlings pop up months after their siblings have been growing merrily in the exact same pot or even after having given up and over sown with a different species.

For fungus, can try Physan (aka RD-20).

Last edited by DragonsEye; 03-17-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you getting your seed from? Depending on the source they could be too old, or not carnivorous plant seed at all.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most Sarracenia need no more than 4 weeks of stratification, fresh Dionaea seeds do not need a stratification (and older ones not a very long one), and after stratification they need to be on the soil surface with access to light to germinate; if you have mold on the seeds, they're already dead.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post

Can't speak for vft or sarr seeds, but with the Drosera I have done, I have always had the best results when I put the pots outside in the sun. Don't know if the heat was helpful or even the UV exposure. (There are a number of non carnivorous plants whose seeds require exposure to the sun's UV rays in order to germinate.)

Should it take so long for Dros seeds to germinate? No. But can it? Yes. I have had seedlings pop up months after their siblings have been growing merrily in the exact same pot or even after having given up and over sown with a different species.

For fungus, can try Physan (aka RD-20).

I have them in a window and I have them under led grow lights for 14 hours a day , I cant put them outside yet its still winter here in north east NY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What am I doing wrong-img_0511-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Most Sarracenia need no more than 4 weeks of stratification, fresh Dionaea seeds do not need a stratification (and older ones not a very long one), and after stratification they need to be on the soil surface with access to light to germinate; if you have mold on the seeds, they're already dead.
    the mold is on the soil not the seeds and I have them in an east window where they get a lot of morning light plus they are under led grow lights for 14 hours a day at the same time the sun is on them.
    Last edited by Mobious; 03-18-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    Where are you getting your seed from? Depending on the source they could be too old, or not carnivorous plant seed at all.
    I get the seeds from the carnivorous plant nursery in Maryland
    they told me that any off the self fungicide would not hurt the seeds if you follow the instructions
    I am starting to think differently now
    Last edited by Mobious; 03-18-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobious View Post

the mold is on the soil not the seeds and I have them in an east window where they get a lot of morning light plus they are under led grow lights for 14 hours a day at the same time the sun is on them.
    this is my set up the moss is growing very well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast