What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frog Week

• Thread starter PA Woods
  • Start date
I'm an enthusiast of the frogs and toads of Pennsylvania and I've been working on conservation and small breeding projects. I legally obtained my animals and am filing for an educational permit to obtain only single digit numbers of specific frogs. I am working on two things one which is replenishing the native species from the place they occur. The other is to provide conservation and awareness of the native species. I am creating a small week long series of videos coming out daily like Shark Week from the Discovery Channel. I'm going to post them on my YouTube Channel as the source.

I am working with Josh's Frogs who is sponsoring the project on social media, paherpsurvey is asking for my findings and we have talked a little bit, the state fish and boat commission I am asking to interview them and they are aware of Frog Week. I know someone who enforces the fines and rules. I may be working with a branch of Carnegie Science Center. My school biologist who has a masters in Herpetology knows of the entire project and I work diligently side by side with him. I ask and run things by him daily. My vet who has worked in zoos and with Ripley's Aquarium is providing medical Care and information to me for my hats who I am attempting to breed so they can be approved from a nationally-recognized vet before we do anything including the environment. I also have been in contact with Frank Indiviglio who is a nationally known Herpetologist. Look up his articles if you Google him! He is awesome! I am working with another forum Our Reptile Forum to create caresheets and provide other educational articles.

My intention of the project is to make people care about the native frogs. That's why I have a YouTube channel and why I am on here to begin with. I want to help my area as best as I can and my goal is to reach the entire state of PA as my audience to educate them and interest them of frogs. Josh's Frogs will help push the project nationally and so will the forums. I want as many people as possible to checkout the project and hopefully to share it with friends and family to spread the word on conservation of frogs and toads!

Frog Week will be herping adventures of mostly Western PA this year and we will find various species and discuss them and their ecosystems. Along with herping I will have my 125 gallon on displaying and both Frog Week and my 125 gallon will have threads on here so you'll be able to follow them. My 125 gallon will feature my pets and a couple other native species pets will be on display.

The featured animals of Frog Week are American Toads, Wood Frogs and Gray Tree Frogs. My email will feature them as well. so it is about wild conservation and about captive educational care and showing interesting content to make people care about our frogs.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Lol when I wrote this I put frogs and auto correct put hats and I put enclosure and my auto correct put email. Sorry for typos.

Auto correct wins again

Lol when I wrote this I put frogs and auto correct put hats and I put enclosure and my auto correct put email. Sorry for typos.

Auto correct wins again

Another one is from became forum. Interesting post. As a budding batrachologist myself, I am curious about your proposal. You seem to have spent more time assuring us that what youre doing is good than you did showing it is necessary, or even what exactly youre doing. I am glad you included the three species at the end there. Whats their conservation status? What imperils their breeding in the wild that youll be able to circumvent in captivity?
I used to keep frogs (actually, many different amphibians) but not anymore; i just try to make my yard a suitable habitat for them.
It is nice that you're above board and all but whats the purpose and whats the proposal, exactly?

In my initial post I explained the project being conservation and education of frogs in the wild and their ecosystems. I also have the frogs and toads in captivity that are being featured and I'm showing educational content about them so it's two parts.

Frogs are declining due to many reasons and Frog Week is going to show deforestation, it might include information about ranavirus and we will talk more specific later once the project is closer to release.

The three species face different challenges. The toad is not really in jeopardy it is abundant and doing well, but I want people to see how incredible the American Toad is. It's a friend to Farmers, gardeners, plant nurseries and it eliminates harmful insects like ticks, field mice (occasionally) and mosquitoes. I just want people to know they have a purpose and to encourage people to leave them to do their jobs in the wild. Protecting us!

The Wood Frogs are threatened by deforestation and pollution but are not good pets. They like the toads don't have a high demand and the Wood Frog is an advanced frog to keep. I wanted to include them being one of the most unique frogs in the country. They are a terrestrial pond frog and I wanted to encourage the conservation for them because they share the task the toads have in protecting us and our environment.

The Gray Tree Frogs are actually being taken from the state and sold in the pet trade and it's leading to a decline in numbers. They are a species of special concern for Frog Week because I want to offer to the state the Gray Tree Frogs should be added to the list of special concern. These frogs are very important and I want to try to encourage people not to buy them online and promote their decline in the wild.

For those who have these species or related species in captivity already I'm going to offer care advice and help people to keep their animals. I see it as the frogs in captivity need help just like the ones in the wild. If someone owns them they can't release them so they might as well know how to care for it.

These are the big components of Frog Week

The American Toad has officially come out from hibernate in my area!

This is a picture of a Wood Frog. Their season for breeding is about done.
66bd327f52d41b8478ab33ea89901155.jpg
3a8e029d5616bf0a859cfebe50f13711.jpg
630e4b58ed84dc797cb0e9240ed07bdf.jpg

I'm so glad too. I live in nepa, around wilkes barre. The frogs here are one of the most soothing sounds. I live in a very small town in the woods. We have creeks, ice caves, ponds, and etc. It's a frog and toad paradise around here. Unfortunately, they've started building. They tore up a whole bunch of land that was supposed to be a deer sanctuary in nanticoke.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm so glad too. I live in nepa, around wilkes barre. The frogs here are one of the most soothing sounds. I live in a very small town in the woods. We have creeks, ice caves, ponds, and etc. It's a frog and toad paradise around here. Unfortunately, they've started building. They tore up a whole bunch of land that was supposed to be a deer sanctuary in nanticoke.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sad to hear about the land being changed but that's really awesome to hear about your frogs! I'm actually far west of you near Bedford and Somerset

Two major locations of Frog Week have a good bit of film done. We have seen many animals and in one place there is deforestation and in my neck of the woods it's steady. Some trees cut down but a lot of woods. I'm going to call my county and ask about the deforestation in one area and talk to my neighbor who owns the woods next to me and see what his plans are. The woods next to me is the most important part of my project and the other half of Frog Week. If frogs and toads have nowhere to go then how can we replenish their numbers?

The two part episode of the Western Woods will be very interesting to you and you will see many cool animals and hear about them and also what is going on with their ecosystem.

Tonight I was able to save 10 toads and bring them to my pond because they were so close to it anyway. I got them off the street and 10-15 I helped cross the road.

As for my pets Pious (male American Toad) who has been getting treated for nematodes and parasites looks to be recovering well and he's off medication right now but will probably have one more dose of dewormer before he can reunite with my female toad (hopefully his mate) Ace. Ace herself is doing great and the Gray Tree Frogs are doing well. Bane is chubby and happy he and Ace are worm free and you can see in their appearance! Christian the other gray tree frog is steady and he is going to be last of the toads and tree frogs to be treated since he's okay. Wellsboro the other male toad is going to start treatment Tuesday when Pious goes back for a follow-up.

Here are some pictures from Frog Week adventures
58fc1a2af2a7bf5156be7c58cc11286c.jpg
c356df84f92758b9c2f3fb89c671185f.jpg
38d72d721cdfbc9edaf51f7aa2f92a76.jpg
e5c29283348a46a4a2b3894a5dc250f9.jpg
c5b6bbbf12a723f22059014f0262ed19.jpg
dc2ba1f7b58c709cf864c86e907fa7dd.jpg
d5b029cef1503d5182cb3ea5ef3180c9.jpg
4aa806a1a9d1e43795e9a65089297c58.jpg
33e0a7d3b193cfadf7c6a7ac988685e9.jpg
2bf8a8b94103f794cae527188ebf0d31.jpg
a4fb58f994c7ac6414ecd80dc38c0bf7.jpg
d760a57a3576972566ccdfab4f7e9983.jpg
c0075e45cd4063b482709431203de01c.jpg
3077dfd5e56022bf22718d66fa3cce16.jpg

Frog Week is next Week!!
Guys, this update should get you excited for next week, and for the future!

So I'll end with Frog Week to add suspense...

The update for the Gray Army is that they are very soon to all be united! All 5 Gray Tree Frogs will be dewormed and clean to live with each other. Bane and Christian are together and the three new tree frogs are together. So it will be really fun seeing them together and I will be able to include them in future videos for a little bit until they hibernate in the fall. I'm so excited to build the 20 gallon high even though a temporary quarantine for them it will be made so the frogs can have space and I'll be able to invest in plants again for them! Everyone has had it rough recovering from the nematodes but they will soon be an afterthought. Then we will be talking about the Biopod Grand made to accommodate Gray Tree Frogs. 90 gallons to one of my favorite animals! I will be so happy for them and for the mosquito fish who haven't had a home for years waiting in a 10 gallon for the day they would once again live in a large setup. Next year both the Gray Army and Mosquito Fish will be happy.

Wellsboro is finally adding weight and oh my! He is the biggest male toad I've ever seen. Period. He's enormous! He's even grown since being recorded for Frog Week! No news except he's rebounded and will next year be given a large home. I'm thinking slightly larger then the Gray Army, but not by much. My goal is to have every enclosure above 65 gallons for every animal. I have 3/5 enclosures already there.

Ace and Pious have made big progress! Ace seems to be okay from the prolapse and the warmer temperatures suit her well. She's doing much better and in my opinion is the most active and photogenic toad ever. I am very proud of her because she came through so much adversity and still is the same personality and toad that I love. Pious has been recovering from the dewormer it seems he doesn't handle it like Ace and I'm assuming it's because he's not as heavy as Ace so it's harder on him. Pious is doing good and he's still laid back like the toad we all love. He's very calm and is the opposite of Ace. But that's why he's necessary because we see that even toads have different personalities. Ace and Pious have gained massive and healthy weight! Ace was 34 grams in December and Isa whopping 76! Pious was I believe in the 30s as well and is 50 grams! Some plump toads! You will finally get to see Ace and Pious in Frog Week as I have not shown them on camera for a long time for a reason. I wanted it to be a special occasion and for the world to know that these two toads are a story of triumph through trials. As are Wellsboro, Bane and Christian who have had the nematodes as well. The only thing standing in these animals way is hibernation which I will be researching for them and for school. It will be done with the advice from experts and if it is not successful then it will really be rough, but for myself and what I'm trying to accomplish with allowing these toads to do is necessary.

Frog Week is July 21!
It feels like lot g ago when I announced the project last winter! I didn't know how to start or the direction it would take but I do now and I believe you will all enjoy the week of videos each day. There will be 15 videos and they will all be featuring The frogs and toads of Pennsylvania! I hope you will watch Frog Week!

Some big news coming after Frog Week so check back soon!
c17f28d33210ada70e77f702bb3a60d5.jpg

The conclusion to Frog Week is officially on YouTube. Learn the beginnings of the channel and where we are going with keeping our frogs and toads in captivity

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?li...pg[/IMG] Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Frog Week Wrap Up...

My team is talking about Frog Week 2020 plans as we speak so we will have a lot of time to hit the gym and get more fit as well as try to make more connections within the state to get it more professional.

The expeditions were a lot of fun but it was hard work making every moment count. I was not ready to personally give solid info from a point and shoot type of project I got very excited to be searching for frogs and I wasn't able to explain as good as I normally would if I wasn't so excited. That's one thing I have to work on for the next one is the presentation. That's fine with me though I love improvement.

The expeditions will be in similar places and some we will revisit and some we will spend more time with. I'm very excited to plan this upcoming Frog Week and we have a lot we are working on with technology. Talks of a new camera, so we have two possibly and maybe even a drone. This is stuff we are considering right now! I won't ruin everything in this way too early update and conclusion post.

As for the captive side of Frog Week...

There were a lot of holes in this side. We didn't show Babe and Christian, Ace and Pious weren't very focused on either. Wellsboro and the new members of the Gray Army were actually stars and more featured. The 125 gallon wasn't done and there was no real explanation of The Woods. This was done deliberately. You will soon see Ace and Pious as I am hoping to finish the build before September. These toads will not hibernate until later to make sure they are prepped right. I will make the small 30 gallon quarantine tank look more visually appealing to show the unified Gray Army. Christian and Bane are still the two faces of the Army. Wellsboro will have a major role in the native species of the PA Woods and Forests Community. I'm not going to explain in detail any of this but in time most of this will be explained. The channel will still be heavily focused on captive care but will be accompanied by wild adventures now. This was also why we changed the name from vivariums to forests. So we could cover both. This year has been a rest year for the native species as they have been resting. The Five Lined Dumpy Family is carrying the load and now Frog Week will also be another break for the native species. There will be another category added too which will be before the next episode to feature Ace and Pious. But be informed that they will be coming back to YouTube and the public.

I'll end it with that. Starting this week I will go back to updating you on the lives of the animals of the PA Woods Community

Back