What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pests in nepenthes, what are they and how to get rid of them best.

• Thread starter GotTrapz
  • Start date
Time and time again I get these same black small bugs in the moss of my nepenthes, not sure what they are and if they are harmful if anybody knows it would be helpful and how to get rid of them properly.Screenshot_20190504-200446_Gallery.jpg20190505_162216.jpg

Last edited:
Springtails. They are irrelevant (not pests) so you can ignore them. They are common in CP collections.

Kind of contrasting answers. But I know I had them about a year ago the same problem I mean, and it seemed to have done no harm so I'll go with that they are spring tails. All is well then. Thanks for the Info

I assume I have a bit less experience than most on here seeing that I have only been into this hobby for about 3 years now, so it's probably a safe bet to go with a more experienced opinion. I was only trying to help in my limited capacity which is why I didn't answer "directly" but instead tried to look up an answer from someone else for you.
Saying that, in this scenario we both learned something and that is a good thing. You found out your plants are likely safe and I learned something that I could run in to in the future. Win - win!
Good luck and I wish you the best

Last edited:
I certainly wouldn't call springtails irrelevant; they're actually beneficial to have around, so quite the opposite of pests. They eat detritus and mold and so can be a very good thing to have in pots. Not to mention get a good colony going and you can self-feed sundews and other sticky carnivores.

Not saying anything bad towards you're reply I appreciate you taking the time out to go look for answers. I took both into consideration I even looked into your link and It followed the same line saying they were spring tails i just thought since I had them before and they didnt kill my plant that they're at least neutral to my plants but I have also heard good things about them. Just wanted to make sure they weren't some kind of pest detrimental to the health of the plants. With that being said thank you all for your replies and answers I'm sure we can all learn something from each other as we all have different experiences and scenarios for growing our CP's

I personally will only have 2 ish years experience around august. Ventricosa being my first plant. I now have a collection of about 30 naps. What about everybody else?

I'm at 3 years in, but my first 1.5 years was just with 3 neps. Now I'm up to 60-ish that span across pings, dros, neps. Recently got a 10x12x10 greenhouse up so I have a lot of room to fill in now, lol

Sounds good I need to get me one soon I'm lucky most of mine are pretty small I can just mist them but I need more space to get a good size greenhouse going would be more convenient for sure haha

Back