What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum moss

• Thread starter Deleted member 13798
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13798

I am thinking of getting some live sphagnum moss and grow it for my CPs and was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some good tips on how to keep it healthy and thriving even. I know nothing about growing sphagnum moss.

I had wondered the same things a while back. I recommend that you go to YouTube and look up Brad's Greenhouse channel, then search it for live sphagnum moss. He has a few good videos on taking care of it properly. I'm sure others here will have first-hand advice as well.

It's just really high humidity and strong light. You have to understand that mosses doesn't have roots and that they take in water by their "leafs". So a high humidity and high light would be enough.

I had wondered the same things a while back. I recommend that you go to YouTube and look up Brad's Greenhouse channel, then search it for live sphagnum moss. He has a few good videos on taking care of it properly. I'm sure others here will have first-hand advice as well.

Thanks for that! I checked his videos out and they really helped.

It's just really high humidity and strong light. You have to understand that mosses doesn't have roots and that they take in water by their "leafs". So a high humidity and high light would be enough.

I'm guessing that they wouldn't be able to handle direct sunlight? The sphagnum moss I've already got seems to be dried and sterile.. Don't know if by any chance, it would be able to grow again?

Depending on where did you get it from. The zoomed ones are able to grow back. I've had couple strands growing out green leaves. However, you have to keep them under stable conditions and have a ton of patience for them to grow. They are really slow when they start to grow.

Depending on where did you get it from. The zoomed ones are able to grow back. I've had couple strands growing out green leaves. However, you have to keep them under stable conditions and have a ton of patience for them to grow. They are really slow when they start to grow.

I got it from a garden centre here in NZ. It is produced and harvested in NZ. It's sold as "Spagmoss", "Premium NZ Sphagnum moss, harvested from the pristine environment of NZ's southern west coast". Sold by 'Besgrow'. I would add photos but can't..

Keep it water-logged and always moist in bright lighting. It can withstand full sun so long as it always wet. Some people find success in raising it in tubs of shallow water. I find that if it is harvested very fresh, it will usually start growing within a few weeks or months. This temperate moss that you posted will do best in the long run if it is outdoors in an area that has true winters, but it will survive and grow for several seasons in a subtropical/tropical climate before it degrades.

Keep it water-logged and always moist in bright lighting. It can withstand full sun so long as it always wet. Some people find success in raising it in tubs of shallow water. I find that if it is harvested very fresh, it will usually start growing within a few weeks or months. This temperate moss that you posted will do best in the long run if it is outdoors in an area that has true winters, but it will survive and grow for several seasons in a subtropical/tropical climate before it degrades.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go!

I've never had experience with that brand. From the sound of it, it sounds like it could grow. The only thing I know is that you'll have to try it yourself. Everything is different, conditions, temperatures, etc. What worked for one person might not work for another. Good luck and most importantly, have fun. :)

Wait, so it is best to be waterlogged? I always thought that it would drown because the lack of oxygen will cause alcohol fermentation, therefore killing the plant. I guess I have to revisit the old Biology books again. :indecisiveness:

I have never purchased live sphagnum moss. What I have found is that dried long fiber sphagnum moss from garden centers will eventually start growing.

A terrarium of cps panted using the dried moss starts to grow in a couple of months. This can provide a good source of live moss for other plants.

a0b065754827715b4d2cc37a916fb9e1.jpg

The higher the water level the better. This moss was allowed to dry a bit. It will eventually come back.

Last edited:
Back