What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips for germinating CP seeds?

Hey Everyone! I'm new and happy to be here. I've been growing CPs for about a year, mostly indoors under LEDs. I've recently started getting more seeds and have had terrible luck (read: I lack skill) at getting them to germinate properly. Here's my current set up:

• Nepenthes seeds: sown on top of milled sphagnum
  • Byblis guehoi seeds: sown on top of sphagnum after a GA3 treatment
  • Drosphyllum seeds: sown on top of 1:1 pumice:sand
I keep my seeds indoors under soft light in temperatures between 70-75 F. I also have incoming byblis liniflora and VFT seeds.

I'm looking to get more success germinating CP seeds and would love any advice you have, both in general and specific to any of these seeds. Should I be using a heat mat for temperature fluctuations? Do I need to use strong lights? No lights? Humidity domes/bags? Do I just need more patience?

I've never found heat mats to be of any particular use, at least not for the things you list. I've germinated both guehoi and nepenthes seed in similar ways to your current method. Sometimes you just need to be willing to try again. For drosophyllum they really seem to benefit from scarification for me. That makes them germinate much sooner for me. Really, the only thing you need is patience. A lot of carnivorous plant seed can take a while to germinate. Don't give up until you need that space for plants actually growing.

Thanks for the advice!

Is it important to put the seeds under lights or are they better being in dark/low light? I realize the seedlings will need a decent amount of light once the seeds germinate, but I wonder if it makes a difference for the seeds themselves?

On a related note, how do you recommend watering the seeds pre-germination? Should I use tray method, top water, or just mist periodically?

Most CP seeds are designed for surface germination, meaning many of them expect or will do better with light.

Back