What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hygrometers

• Thread starter PhilipS
  • Start date
Are you using a hygrometer marketed for the pet industry or a calibrated one?

I've replaced my pet ones for humidor hygrometers that can be calibrated.

I like the Silver Caliber 4R for its +/- 1% accuracy and the easy to read color range that covers most CP's. Supposedly arrived calibrated. I still went through the no brainer steps to verify, and both units now read the same.

As with any Hygrometer, don't soak it or its remote sensor.

716gG+GBsLL._AC_SL1387_.jpg

Great question!! The more I grow, the less I tend to worry too much about the actual level of humidity and more about is it humid. I do have a OOOOLLLLLLDDDDD reptile one hanging from a string in the greenhouse, but I can't even tell you the last time I looked at it or if it even works. That said, I do have temperature monitoring devices for the greenhouses which happen to have humidity on them, so I'll look at that some times. but that's also the first thing to stop working on the sensors and I generally won't replace them until the temperature stops working too. I do have a pretty good general idea of where each greenhouse sits, so maybe that's enough once you really learn your growing areas.
Andrew

See if you can calibrate it.

I chose the Boveda 75% RH calibration kit. It's just a ziploc bag with the salt type packet. Bigger bags or Tupperware works for calibrating multiple units at a time, too.

Reset the hygrometer, and leave in the bag at room temperature for at least 24 hours. Adjust the offset to be 75% RH if it isn't. Done.

All hygrometers and thermometers are really just a reference.

I have humidity/temperature sensors in each of my growing spaces that are logging measurements several times each hour. I'm growing most plants indoors and a few outdoors, so the humidity measurements haven't been incredibly useful as there's not much I can do to change them. Temperature measurements, on the other hand, have been a (plant) life saver. A closed container of live sphagnum was starting to look really sad and I wasn't sure what was wrong until placing a temperature sensor in there and seeing that it was constantly reaching 40 C because a nearby grow light was heating it up too much.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard that you can give a plant extra humidity by placing it on a container filled with water and pebbles (the pebbles prevent the pot from soaking in water). But I've always wondered if this technique actually increases humidity by a significant amount (I couldn't find any actual data on it). If you have two calibrated hygrometers, you could see if the humidity over the pebbles increases (and if so, by how much) and settle the debate once and for all!

Back