What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the NASC auction be held a little later than normal?

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hey everyone!! The North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC) holds their spring fundraising auction here (as you probably know) and I just noticed they asked on FB if they should hold it a little later. I remember hearing many people talking about it is normally still too cold or things are not awake yet so if you would like to give your opinion on when the auction should be held, you're welcome to post here or directly to their FB post so we can make sure it's held at the best time!

Original post

Original text if you want to respond here:
20200106232253-321e4fef-me.jpg

Growers of temperate species still don't have a lot to show by April and many do participate in this auction. I think it would be good to postpone until later in the growing season. Also, enthusiasm grows in May as people return to their previously dormant collections. Just my opinion.

I agree it should be held later just going by what I see people say about it still being cold and that things are not ready yet. That said, I don't live where it's "too cold" so I'm trying to leave the date suggestions to people that live in said cooler places and can give an opinion based on facts related to shipping temperatures and plant "awakeness" (lol).

Judging by the rise in enthusiasm among local growers of temperate species, sometime in maybe mid-May might work well. But we aren't the last to see the end of the winter here in the Pacific Northwest. I think it is really less about when things are growing and more about when people are ready to grow them.

I think moving it back is a good idea. I usually have a little more spending cash towards the summer as well.

I think it should be timed to end mid May. that way "most" shipping should be completed before the hot days of June really hit.

Yeah, as someone in a much hotter state than most everyone else, it would be nice to stay away from the "summer" months for shipping as well.

[MENTION=7814]jpappy789[/MENTION] Have you had issues? I'm also in a pretty hot place and I ship/receive plants all year including when it's in the 120s and have never had an issue. I have arrangements with my mailman to have them delivered to a safe (weather wise) place and I bring them in quickly. Only time I've lost a plant I've shipped is when they've left it in the mailbox for a couple days (both hot and cold) I know this since they tell me days after it was delivered "I just got it and..." lol?.

[MENTION=7814]jpappy789[/MENTION] Have you had issues? I'm also in a pretty hot place and I ship/receive plants all year including when it's in the 120s and have never had an issue. I have arrangements with my mailman to have them delivered to a safe (weather wise) place and I bring them in quickly. Only time I've lost a plant I've shipped is when they've left it in the mailbox for a couple days (both hot and cold) I know this since they tell me days after it was delivered "I just got it and..." lol?.

I generally don't have issues. But in the past I've had issues with the more heat-sensitive species shipping during the dog days of summer. Especially if shipping gets on the longer side for any number of unknown reasons. Dunno if humidity plays an additional factor here.

Understanding that it's the NASC so most people are buying/selling summer-growing plants anyways, if a happy medium can be reached to avoid when it's still early for some people and when it's even hotter for others, I'd advocate for that!

Last edited:
Understanding that it's the NASC so most people are buying/selling summer-growing plants anyways, if a happy medium can be reached to avoid when it's still early for some people and when it's even hotter for others, I'd advocate for that!

Agreed. Even a couple of weeks later would be beneficial, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back