What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TerraForums has a Folding@Home team, come help us fight diseases!

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date
I've got it going, playing with settings now. I can't necessarily get the priority controls to work well. If I run at "light" folding power, I can't run CPU + GPU. If I go to medium, I can, but then my fans go nuts because my computer is getting old and the airflow is garbage. ;)

Any bit helps! Welcome to the team! =)

We might hit 700 work units today or tomorrow!

Light setting uses half of the cores and not the GPU. Medium uses the GPU and all but one of the cores. Full uses GPU and all the cores.

You can try going into the advanced configuration and under the slot setting the number of threads on the CPU and leave the power set at medium. Or remove the CPU slot from the configuration and run the GPU only. On my new system once the fans on the GPU go over 60% it gets pretty noisy. The case fans at 100% are only just noticeable. The GPU runs much hotter than the CPU for me.

That's kinda surprising. From the calculation-intensive things I've looked into in the past, GPU cores were always way more efficient. I would have thought they'd have baked in more ability to control what gets used.

Anyway, interesting stuff!

Ah! Okay, feeling slightly better, I thought they may have given me a WU that is way too big for the time allotted. But I see now that there is a timeout and an expiration. I'd been treating them as the same and going "there's no way I get this done by the timeout." Looks like I have ~2days more than I thought, so it should be possible.

Still, I guess my hardware is showing its age. haha

Yay! You completed a work unit and are now officially listed on the TF team. =)

Do you know if it will run on Linux? I want to put my Raspberry Pi to work.

I'm sorry but it's not compatible with my Raspberry Pi.:blue: Online it said that it could be compatible soon, and when it is I'll do my best to install it as quickly as I can.

Woohoo we've passed 1k WUs!

FoldingAtHome-wus-certificate-137547.jpg

We're over 2500 work units, great going! It's not too late to join the team. :)
We are currently ranked 2975 of 255084 0_o I think that's pretty good!

20201008195016-e681169c.jpg

I'll be sure to hop teams now that I know this is a thing!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back