What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Um, help?

• Thread starter alex111
  • Start date
Is my pitcher plant dead?the way I have my plants is in a pot with Sphagnum Moss and that pot is in a slightly bigger one that is filled with distilled water.

When the virus hit us. The pot(bigger one) was empty of water, BUT the moss was wet(spongy). I couldn’t buy distilled water. None around. So I was trying to get whatever I could from rain.

So now it looks like this. The (tulips?) are dried out, crispy, crunchy like a really dried out leaves.

So. Did I kill it?

Attachments

• 67FAA26D-FAE8-466F-9F24-928468A51331.jpeg
    67FAA26D-FAE8-466F-9F24-928468A51331.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 61
It is not dead yet but if it stays dry for a while longer then it will be dead. Try getting a Zerowater filter or a reverse osmosis system. If you can't find either regular water is better than no water.

It is not dead yet but if it stays dry for a while longer then it will be dead. Try getting a Zerowater filter or a reverse osmosis system. If you can't find either regular water is better than no water.

I was able to get 2 gallons of water. so I have soaked right now. is it just dormant?

No, the leaves will not go like that when Sarracenia goes dormant, the leaves just slowly turn brown from the top down. but S. purpurea don't really lose their leaves like other Sarracenia do for me. If it comes down to letting a Sarracenia go bone dry or watering with water that may not be ideal, I would top water with the not ideal water letting the water run through the pot hopefully keeping mineral buildup in the media to a minimum. Bone dry will kill a plant quicker than some water that has a bit of minerals in it. I would definitely keep it wet and watch for life though.

No, the leaves will not go like that when Sarracenia goes dormant, the leaves just slowly turn brown from the top down. but S. purpurea don't really lose their leaves like other Sarracenia do for me. If it comes down to letting a Sarracenia go bone dry or watering with water that may not be ideal, I would top water with the not ideal water letting the water run through the pot hopefully keeping mineral buildup in the media to a minimum. Bone dry will kill a plant quicker than some water that has a bit of minerals in it. I would definitely keep it wet and watch for life though.

thank you. I googled looking for info about the plant. I read somewhere that I could trim it. I am not sure about this.

If the leaves are crispy like they look, you can. If they're still soft, I would leave them and hope they're still doing some of their job.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If the leaves are crispy like they look, you can. If they're still soft, I would leave them and hope they're still doing some of their job.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ok. Now I think I have a problem. Pic now from before

Attachments

• 4D49D8E2-0E9D-442F-86DF-319593D3ACAB.jpeg
    4D49D8E2-0E9D-442F-86DF-319593D3ACAB.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 50
Because there are not many leaves? If the rhizome has any life in it, it will send up new leaves.

Because there are not many leaves? If the rhizome has any life in it, it will send up new leaves.

Ok. Thank you. I will just wait about a week or so. But I am not feeling positive

Ok. Thank you. I will just wait about a week or so. But I am not feeling positive

Keep the faith, brother. All established carnivorous plant growers have seen disappointments but they kept at it to succeed. Cp's are different than most plants but not really difficult. They just have different rules, and sometimes different rules for each plant. You might find these growing guides useful: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/guides

Back