Informational! Informational!:  7
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pics post!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd really, really doubt that any of the original "thorelii" crosses have any thorelii at all since literally no one had it; kampotiana and bokorensis are the primary culprits, and I'd bet even that "thorelii" x campy cross is involving one (or both) of those two. Concerning the spath x ham cross, spathulata is known to have boring upper pitchers so that may just be what you're seeing on that...but putting more hamata into it might make something really good.
    Also really don't see why hamata x campy is an abomination; campy has small teeth but unquestionably it has teeth, and looks like that trait pairs nicely. I crossed lowii x campanulata with hamata x platychila, and I expect at least a few offspring will sport some impressive teeth off that (and some nice upper pitcher shape; don't know why you hate lowii, it's such a fantastically odd design). Should cross the hamata x ventricosa with a hamata x campy if possible.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    I'd really, really doubt that any of the original "thorelii" crosses have any thorelii at all since literally no one had it; kampotiana and bokorensis are the primary culprits, and I'd bet even that "thorelii" x campy cross is involving one (or both) of those two.

Concerning the spath x ham cross, spathulata is known to have boring upper pitchers so that may just be what you're seeing on that...but putting more hamata into it might make something really good.

Also really don't see why hamata x campy is an abomination; campy has small teeth but unquestionably it has teeth, and looks like that trait pairs nicely. I crossed lowii x campanulata with hamata x platychila, and I expect at least a few offspring will sport some impressive teeth off that (and some nice upper pitcher shape; don't know why you hate lowii, it's such a fantastically odd design). Should cross the hamata x ventricosa with a hamata x campy if possible.
    Definitely doubt bokorensis but maybe kampotiana might be a good culprit, but the dusky color of it really lines up with 'thorelli' better than it does to kampotiana. It was an EP cross originally so I've got my eyes peeled if I ever hear a final word on it or not. Either way, love the plant! Everything I ever grew that had kampotiana in it was amazingly gorgeous color-wise (RIP my N.xTriffid), and this plant just... it's not the same color palette, and the campy is certainly not adding anything from that angle. That being said, I wish there were some more nice kampotiana hybrids out there. Like a nice kampotiana x dubia x khasiana or something... I think that's pretty much just remaking xTriffid though hahaha! RIP Sam's shop again. And RIP Tony P.'s shop because that's who I got the thor x campy from.

The lowers on the spath x hammy are uninspiring too. Here they are:
    Pics post!-img_9441-jpg
    It's ok if I just got a 'miss'. If it was male, I'd get rid of it. I guess it's an ok pod-parent though. Actually looking back at my thread the uppers look sort of like the gracilis I've got so maybe I'll cross them when it grows up and see what happens.

And the last comment - because traditionally you have campy for the shape of the pitcher and the hammy for the teeth, so crossing the two really just... you're crossing the streams! I guess for breeding and making hybrids it'd be a good parent for that, if you're looking at making teeth, but I usually don't grow plants just for that. I guess the (spath x hammy) and (xSplendiana x xMixta) are the exceptions. The former accidentally, the latter purposefully.

And I've hated lowii from the first second I saw it The uppers are totally a monstrosity. The hairs under the lid are creepy. It just looks plain wrong, hands down. I'm frown/cringing as I write this lol... same with ephippiata. I'm glad I don't like it though because those hybrids seem to be the more expensive ones!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, your comments on N. lowii have hurt all my lowii hybrids’ feelings. We like weird things in this hobby, that’s why we joined it(at least that’s why I did). What’s weirder than a weird thing in the middle of weird things that eats poop. THATS REALLY WIERD. Now that you mentioned you are going to put all those plants on the NASC auction I am in a complete mental divide. Buy Sarrs from Mike Wang? Buy nepenthes? ARGHHH

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking very nice, haven't seen anyone with spect x talang uppers yet. They seemed to have worked out well. That edwardsiana is looking great too.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looking really good! I'm not a big fan of the photo uploading either. I use my other site to host my images for here usually. The sideways images is usually an iPhone thing. I don't remember how they said it was, but if you turn your phone one way the image is sideways and if you turn it the other way it's correct. I don't understand why they can't fix it in the software for the forum.... I think they're lazy and that's an example of why I'm going to try a new forum software this winter!
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    Looking very nice, haven't seen anyone with spect x talang uppers yet. They seemed to have worked out well. That edwardsiana is looking great too.
    Huh, didn't know it was like that? Mine makes uppers all the time. I think it was from a private grower so maybe it's a different clone that makes uppers... idk.

Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Looking really good! I'm not a big fan of the photo uploading either. I use my other site to host my images for here usually. The sideways images is usually an iPhone thing. I don't remember how they said it was, but if you turn your phone one way the image is sideways and if you turn it the other way it's correct. I don't understand why they can't fix it in the software for the forum.... I think they're lazy and that's an example of why I'm going to try a new forum software this winter!
    Thanks ... and thanks!! Weird thing is at least one of my pics is a different direction than the others and it's all taken on the same iFrustration so they're lazy *and* buggy

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With how individual parent clones can severely affect appearance and how variable offspring can be, I wouldn't put too much stock in a particular color tendency for one species, and many of the "thorelii" are Indochinese hybrids themselves, so a mix of traits is even more likely.
    I wouldn't call that spath x ham uninspiring; the color is attractive and it's still more teeth than most Nepenthes. But to each their own I guess; I like almost anything that gets dark colors.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    With how individual parent clones can severely affect appearance and how variable offspring can be, I wouldn't put too much stock in a particular color tendency for one species, and many of the "thorelii" are Indochinese hybrids themselves, so a mix of traits is even more likely.
    I wouldn't call that spath x ham uninspiring; the color is attractive and it's still more teeth than most Nepenthes. But to each their own I guess; I like almost anything that gets dark colors.
    Yep, I realize I don't have 'the popular' interest in what Neps are nice or not from day 1 and just accept that I'm constantly going to get harped on for saying I don't like big and red, black/brown parts, or lowii in my plants. But campy crosses are nice, and relatively cheaper, so I'm actually pretty happy with my little corner of the Neppy world!

With Nep ID posts, who's to say someone doesn't have a maxima but that it's actually some very convoluted mess of fusca, reinwardtiana, maxima, and/or eymae you know? So based on guessing along those lines, totes thorellii. Based on who know what went into it and what the actual DNA of each plant is, you could put quotes around every plant everyone has in their collections. I guess what I'm saying is I still think thor x campy is a good label for it vs. say kampotiana x campy.

Here's a few more pics, of the terrarium this time:

H.minor recovering from the ant & pesticide incident earlier in the year. If it fills the pot again come NASC, I might pull a few clumps to add there too
    Pics post!-img_9548-jpg

D.paradoxa looking like trash. At least it's split so if some of the plants die maybe at least one will survive.
    Pics post!-img_9547-jpg

'purple' Cephalotus - if I can actually get ceph to root for once you might see this one on NASC too! And maybe some of that D.prolifera at the bottom too.
    Pics post!-img_9546-jpg

Typical Cephalotus and D.xAndromeda. Most likely will put some of the latter on NASC too.
    Pics post!-img_9545-jpg

Prices these days ... man!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast