What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics post!

• Thread starter thez_yo
  • Start date
Looking really good! I'm not a big fan of the photo uploading either. I use my other site to host my images for here usually. The sideways images is usually an iPhone thing. I don't remember how they said it was, but if you turn your phone one way the image is sideways and if you turn it the other way it's correct. I don't understand why they can't fix it in the software for the forum.... I think they're lazy and that's an example of why I'm going to try a new forum software this winter!

Looking very nice, haven't seen anyone with spect x talang uppers yet. They seemed to have worked out well. That edwardsiana is looking great too.

Huh, didn't know it was like that? Mine makes uppers all the time. I think it was from a private grower so maybe it's a different clone that makes uppers... idk.

Looking really good! I'm not a big fan of the photo uploading either. I use my other site to host my images for here usually. The sideways images is usually an iPhone thing. I don't remember how they said it was, but if you turn your phone one way the image is sideways and if you turn it the other way it's correct. I don't understand why they can't fix it in the software for the forum.... I think they're lazy and that's an example of why I'm going to try a new forum software this winter!

Thanks :D ... and thanks!! Weird thing is at least one of my pics is a different direction than the others and it's all taken on the same iFrustration so they're lazy *and* buggy :-))

With how individual parent clones can severely affect appearance and how variable offspring can be, I wouldn't put too much stock in a particular color tendency for one species, and many of the "thorelii" are Indochinese hybrids themselves, so a mix of traits is even more likely.
I wouldn't call that spath x ham uninspiring; the color is attractive and it's still more teeth than most Nepenthes. But to each their own I guess; I like almost anything that gets dark colors.

With how individual parent clones can severely affect appearance and how variable offspring can be, I wouldn't put too much stock in a particular color tendency for one species, and many of the "thorelii" are Indochinese hybrids themselves, so a mix of traits is even more likely.
I wouldn't call that spath x ham uninspiring; the color is attractive and it's still more teeth than most Nepenthes. But to each their own I guess; I like almost anything that gets dark colors.

Yep, I realize I don't have 'the popular' interest in what Neps are nice or not from day 1 and just accept that I'm constantly going to get harped on for saying I don't like big and red, black/brown parts, or lowii in my plants. But campy crosses are nice, and relatively cheaper, so I'm actually pretty happy with my little corner of the Neppy world!

With Nep ID posts, who's to say someone doesn't have a maxima but that it's actually some very convoluted mess of fusca, reinwardtiana, maxima, and/or eymae you know? So based on guessing along those lines, totes thorellii. Based on who know what went into it and what the actual DNA of each plant is, you could put quotes around every plant everyone has in their collections. I guess what I'm saying is I still think thor x campy is a good label for it vs. say kampotiana x campy.

Here's a few more pics, of the terrarium this time:

H.minor recovering from the ant & pesticide incident earlier in the year. If it fills the pot again come NASC, I might pull a few clumps to add there too :D
IMG_9548.jpg

D.paradoxa looking like trash. At least it's split so if some of the plants die maybe at least one will survive.
IMG_9547.jpg

'purple' Cephalotus - if I can actually get ceph to root for once you might see this one on NASC too! And maybe some of that D.prolifera at the bottom too.
IMG_9546.jpg

Typical Cephalotus and D.xAndromeda. Most likely will put some of the latter on NASC too.
IMG_9545.jpg

Prices these days ... man!

With Nep ID posts, who's to say someone doesn't have a maxima but that it's actually some very convoluted mess of fusca, reinwardtiana, maxima, and/or eymae you know? So based on guessing along those lines, totes thorellii. Based on who know what went into it and what the actual DNA of each plant is, you could put quotes around every plant everyone has in their collections. I guess what I'm saying is I still think thor x campy is a good label for it vs. say kampotiana x campy.

The taxonomist in me would have to vehemently disagree with this notion on grounds of known distribution patterns and techniques already in place for labeling unknowns; the Indochinese group was messed up coming into cultivation early on but other species and their traits are fairly clear and better kept for the most part, and unknown hybrids with really complex backgrounds don't tend to be broadly distributed outside a few heavily produced TC plants. You certainly wouldn't confuse a reinwardtiana x fusca cross with a pure maxima etc. and even hybrids with close species (like "Gentle") show clear signals that they are hybrids, and EP's done a few experiments with extreme backcrossing that showed even such introgression shows signals of hybridization several generations in.
With this group, I think the best thing would actually be to label them "sp. Indochina" x campanulata ex., rather than mark it with a known species label, particularly one that we know was not in cultivation until its rediscovery a couple years ago.

Moving on from that though: I've yet to get my Andromeda to flower, I think that's from their being relatively unfed in a slightly overly shady spot though; Cephalotus has been one of my nemesis for a while, and I got some seeds about a month ago that I'm hoping will germinate, but still not holding my breath.

The taxonomist in me would have to vehemently disagree with this notion on grounds of known distribution patterns and techniques already in place for labeling unknowns; the Indochinese group was messed up coming into cultivation early on but other species and their traits are fairly clear and better kept for the most part, and unknown hybrids with really complex backgrounds don't tend to be broadly distributed outside a few heavily produced TC plants. You certainly wouldn't confuse a reinwardtiana x fusca cross with a pure maxima etc. and even hybrids with close species (like "Gentle") show clear signals that they are hybrids, and EP's done a few experiments with extreme backcrossing that showed even such introgression shows signals of hybridization several generations in.
With this group, I think the best thing would actually be to label them "sp. Indochina" x campanulata ex., rather than mark it with a known species label, particularly one that we know was not in cultivation until its rediscovery a couple years ago.

Moving on from that though: I've yet to get my Andromeda to flower, I think that's from their being relatively unfed in a slightly overly shady spot though; Cephalotus has been one of my nemesis for a while, and I got some seeds about a month ago that I'm hoping will germinate, but still not holding my breath.

Yes, it's been a good 'argument'. I totally agree with you!

So that whole terrarium of mine is about a foot, cube. The 26W/100W equiv bulb is literally sat on top of it so the plants are just inches from the bulb. I couldn't get queensland dews or cephs to grow for the life of me until I put them in there. I just moved the queensland dews down a few inches instead of sitting on top of 3" pots so they're sitting in the water at the bottom to stay wetter, so we'll see if they do so well being further away or not. They were drying out a little too fast because the water in there was evaporating up and going down the sides of the terra as condensation draining into the bottom. As for cephs they immediately die on me if they're not in there, confirmed with a decade history of that happening. And if I water them at all the top growth all dies back. So, high humidity, couple inches away frrom a bulb, never water them is my advice :-)).

Queensland dews, despite everyone saying they're 'lower' light, I blast em and they bloom all the time. I didn't feed them at all except for maybe 3 flies a piece this year (oops). It seems like I can only ever grow anything (cps or otherwise) if I completely disregard conventional growing advice or do the opposite of what 'they' say lol. I've got one little N.ampullaria in there that's supposedly from ~850masl that didn't look too hot til I moved it in there. It's warmer where I keep the rest of the neps so I'm thinking of moving it out, to make room for a D.adelae that I just got (oops) and hoping that both the adelae survives, and the ampullaria survives the move. I'd think that amp would like it where a clipeata, thor x campy and platychila live better than where an H.minor lives but I can't do plants 'how you're supposed to' so we'll see I guess.

So the internet told me aroids want to be in essentially a dirt-y chunky Nep mix so I repotted this morning, and I also put the vanilla in a cocohusk/perlite/peat/sphag mix. I really hope this move doesn't kill everything but considering how bad I am at 'normal' plants lmao... just :lol:
IMG_9693.jpg

Vanilla will want something tall and moist to climb, it doesn't really care about what's at the very base; all the aroids I have are in a very aerated standard compost mix, but then they're not philodendrons etc. Vanilla is about the only orchid that seems to be okay with me (though the Masdevallia veitchiana I put in the highland house seems happy again...).

I don't really have anywhere to mist plants though, so that's why I'm wondering about that Vanilla. I have some cork slabs but I'm not even sure how I'd rig it up. I'm going to be starting the process to transition my cps out of a small closet/room sorta deal into some of those cheapo wooden plant racks around the house to see how they do, and maybe I need to rig up some tupperware-with-cork-slab thing on one of them. I gotta think through this for sure.

Mine's in a greenhouse so I don't mist (and I don't recommend really misting anything unless it's a near-constant light application), but keeping the media moist and not the plant is more important (and also healthier for the plant). If you set them up vertically on dowel backing etc. and then just soak the boards/moss by running water down them that should work.
I need to find a place to set up and mount my vanilla on something larger though, as what it's climbing on right now is fairly small and it's starting to wander up into the Nepenthes above it.

Mine's in a greenhouse so I don't mist (and I don't recommend really misting anything unless it's a near-constant light application), but keeping the media moist and not the plant is more important (and also healthier for the plant). If you set them up vertically on dowel backing etc. and then just soak the boards/moss by running water down them that should work.
I need to find a place to set up and mount my vanilla on something larger though, as what it's climbing on right now is fairly small and it's starting to wander up into the Nepenthes above it.

I got some big cork slabs from repotme when they were having decent sales a few years back. Haven't mounted anything to them yet, don't want to think about how much they cost, but maybe I'll figure something out this weekend. I originally wanted to mount my Phals to it but still haven't really gotten a set up for that (like, getting a greenhouse). Maybe I'll do something temp out of bamboo, zipties, cork slabs and sphag this weekend for the vanilla if I become un-exhausted. If it works, I might set up similar for the cute little Monstera collection I've started up. I've recently discovered there's plenty of pretty smaller species in the genus and well... I've got a plant problem lol!

Back