What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics post!

• Thread starter thez_yo
  • Start date

thez_yo

instigator
Maybe I should just make a running post again like my old balcony post... maybe this will be it!

Anyway, here's a pics update. I finally have pitchers a good 3ish months after getting some LED panels in! I've got garden plants (veggies, etc.) in with the Neps and stuff at the moment because it is a plant room after all. If I get a cheap estimate for the septic to sewer conversion I might be able to afford a greenhouse this year so I don't have to keep the plants in for a good year and a half, but we'll see!

aaaaalmost! N.inermis
uAPNJSml.jpg

D.paradoxa
oxoo3U4l.jpg

Nep gaya
R9hA39Ol.jpg

VY93AOVl.jpg

Sarras, cobra and vft's outside
WOVBX0Sl.jpg

The mouse patrol agent :p
3CMk9tMl.jpg

Strawberry towers (mixed varieties - some from dormant live plants, some from seed)
erZqn1Jl.jpg

D. multifida
I0k0YLNl.jpg

The tomato jungle - I neeeeeed to get stuff outside already!
VuS3Tiil.jpg

N. ventricosa xxTrusmadiensis (B)
DjKMXtHl.jpg

7jzOnhkl.jpg

an anemic little looking pitcher that developed in the dark of winter without supplemental lighting

N. boschiana
UfLGLPRl.jpg

N. tenuis with some developing platychila and I think thorellii x campanulata pitchers. It went a little brown cuz I fed it some milipedes and a stinkbug...
Z9ZHRDGl.jpg

uCoaCbQl.jpg

D. prolifera and N.ampullaria - look at all the ants that pitcher gobbled up!
LPJ81Lgl.jpg

N. burbidgeae my first pitcher!!
MVzXyfSl.jpg

N. jacquelineae x eymae
Kv3Oqlel.jpg

a 'purple' Ceph
6P5a6pml.jpg

a 'regular' Ceph (thanks Nan!!!!) with my first mature Ceph pitcher I've ever sprouted!
I1ArjAfl.jpg

Brom's blooming again :D
He0JGiQl.jpg

N. edwardsiana
bL4kQA8l.jpg

Purple shamrock - thanks Ed from CSUF!
rXgT1RVl.jpg

Phal mutt
8Qs9TYIl.jpg

Phal... rainbow's something. Thanks Chib! I think this one was from you!
uoKRpPkl.jpg

Office plants that I rescued right before the world went on lockdown - they don't know how lucky they are! Thx to Ed from CSUF for the spiderplant!
EsNVH4El.jpg

N.hamata x platychila
5lr2WOwl.jpg

So the ants decided to nest *in* my Heli minor. AAAaaaah!! That's how so many got in the N.amp pitcher cuz they were all in the terrarium - so I sprayed it all down with poison and most of the plants looked worse for wear for a few days or week, but the Heli. It lost a LOT of pitchers but luckily it's still alive. I just trimmed off all the dead growth:
z8pbRB8l.jpg

D. x Andromeda
r54kOrol.jpg

Better shot of the D.prolifera
ExLaOffl.jpg

I don't know if you can see them, but those are D.madagascariensis from seed in there (thanks NaN!). I planted them what seems like years ago and they're still microscopic :O
4orQeNpl.jpg

N.izumiae x xTrusmadiensis x (the rain washed away the pollen donor tag! oh noes!) seedlings
mdDAfNdl.jpg

bunch of garden veggies
dKqOUUol.jpg

Gy7Ljoil.jpg

I put the rhubarb (from seed) outside already - if just one survives I'll still be happy enough :D
6JuZgAol.jpg

I think it's something like N.thorellii x khasiana... still 6mo after the move I need to go pull all the tags out of the potting mixes and stuff but it's just too packed in the plant room with the garden veggies right now to move around at all!
Fxs6pmkl.jpg

N. glabrata
jvOydMfl.jpg

N. campanulata x maxima
gX0zv04l.jpg

N. platychila
EXyZxorl.jpg

So I love N.hamiguitanensis. Too bad it doesn't grow for me because it wants super humid conditions. Like I'm guessing living in the clouds like a Heliamphora conditions - I ended up putting it in a terrarium too like my Heli and it still died back to a stick in the ground! I kept watering the dead stick and lo and behold - a sprout!
c1EkQErl.jpg

Rejoice!!

I got edible fruit producing cactus seeds late last year because it seemed like a good idea at the time:
PVAhgGgl.jpg

U. alpina looking terrible but there's a very nice fern developing in the pot too...
vZh8fJXl.jpg

Well, the flower was too close to focus but there's photographic proof of it hahaha - P. laueana. The brom underneath is B.reducta I got at a LACPS meet last year finally!
3tnZ3mTl.jpg

The other pings - thank for the purple one NaN!
c1rLstkl.jpg

Mixed succulents from yard scraps in San Diego
6oaMuCXl.jpg

The succulents I bought, the cactuses were yard scraps too
YoITBcUl.jpg

A 'garbage' fern from Calicarn
zPb8mQXl.jpg

My first batch of Lithops from seed!
EtGDLGXl.jpg

They turned out better than the second - I think its cuz I used slightly different soil and also transport to here from San Diego went rough for wee baby seedlings :O
VrjclJJl.jpg

N. clipeata
g9WyUk9l.jpg

N. splendiana x xmixta
iwFLemzl.jpg

N. ovata x (spectabilis x talangensis) seedlings!
kYhJvX6l.jpg

N. peltata
2ibDdZzl.jpg

Please give me pitchers again one day?? Please?!

Last but certainly not least,
VFT seedlings from last year:
v5xhOrBl.jpg

I'll try to get better pics once there's actually standing room open.

Last edited:
Looks like everything is settling in really well for you. It's always a very rewarding feeling when you see plants beginning to pitcher again isn't it? I'm especially jealous of that jacq x eymae.

Great looking plants! Is that your indoor growing space, or Jumanji?

Great looking plants! Is that your indoor growing space, or Jumanji?

Definitely jumanji! You get there through the magical wardrobes...

Very nice, I'm glad to see things are responding well to the new lights! Congrats on the N.hamiguitanensis, I hope it's a good sign! I've had Neps that I was trying to nail down conditions do the same, just to have that new growth point die soon after. :-\ Love the N. platychila =)

Nice neps 'n dews! I've got a ton of cacti seedlings as well. What species are those ones?

Nice growing! Love the platychila!

Nice neps 'n dews! I've got a ton of cacti seedlings as well. What species are those ones?

Perfect timing, I was just taking pics earlier to make another post! I ordered a ton of seed from mesa gardens and got Eulychnia acida, Harrisia fragrans, Stenocereus gummosus and Trichocereus lobivioides because I heard those make the tastiest fruit. I know I've got years to go from this point, but ... I mean, I like growing plants :-)) Here's an update - they've done seemingly nothing lol
wPak7col.jpg

In no particular order--

N.inermis with a pile of pitchers finally! I fed them the slugs I found on my fennel a few mornings ago :O
399bmTHl.jpg

I'm working on polinating this N.vent x TM bloom with spectabilis x talangensis pollen
ifE3gpul.jpg

The white/sleep sapote. Still small, still hanging on. Still don't know what it wants but on the dryer side is for sure
BAV6Arel.jpg

I was just rewatching my old vlogs and in the first one or two I pointed out that these nodes were maaaybe sprouting teeny tiny little growth points and I thought it was a glabrata without checking the tag because it looks pretty similar to mikei without pitchers on it. Yup, glabby!
EG6ERr7l.jpg

N.ovata x (spectabilis x talangensis)
9Qjlbdul.jpg

And more seeds - I can't believe I've actually finally sprouted some Neps!
XfiZRnyl.jpg

mKr5L2Hl.jpg

Guess what I harvested today :D
eQMJ9JQl.jpg

(it begins with a rob and ends with a spectalan :p)

N.campy x bosch (or is it the other way around?)
InpbS9Jl.jpg

Pings a bloom!
XVElfgEl.jpg

Oxalis still having a great time. Don't know what I'm doing right but I'm never moving that plant so I don't make it drop all its leaves again!
g250XqRl.jpg

clippy
JlqczGJl.jpg

Just repotted my rubber tree - I gave the bigger part of the plant away to a dear friend before I left San Diego because it was just too bit to transport and took this top cutting with me. I think it's grown a foot since I got here and if you notice, the pot still looks too small, but I tend to over water and keeping stuff like 'regular' houseplants in smaller pots limits the amount of water I can give things
P0r73kXl.jpg

All the little baby Neps I got at the end of last year. So cute when they're so small!!
MyqPwtnl.jpg

The tillies they hang out with
pIEyfoxl.jpg

They're all in the 'baby plants' section aka 'not 5+ feet tall' area
vX5h2K8l.jpg

Ffim2Ltl.jpg

And the eddie in there finally is the proper color
55djvGnl.jpg

The tentaculata 'maroon spotted' from a now defunct store
KoC9kcyl.jpg

The terra - N.ampullaria finally pitchering again
AHzph5Gl.jpg

and so is the H.minor - finally putting up new leaves after the ant incident :O
zjXyBFKl.jpg

N.platychila uppers
6iKeiqJl.jpg

Vft babies from last year's blooms/seeds. They overwintered with the big plants in the cellar but are now in the plant room so some bird doesn't rip them up outside with the other bigger plants.
pIf1xNrl.jpg

N.ventricosa x inermis intermediate
zvT38lrl.jpg

N.peltata (the red one) and N.hamiguitanensis (the dead looking twig)
VFJclxSl.jpg

Some of my finally increasing fern collection!
bvdrmeWl.jpg

My surviving dwarf mango finally putting up new growth after I moved it to the plant room.
vrotlg6l.jpg

This vent x TM stalk I pollinated with densiflora x robcantleyii
40XvESql.jpg

stupid little lid aside, N.hamata x platychila uppers never fail to impress
Tjl3WJyl.jpg

N. xsplendiana xMixta and campanulata x maxima pitchers. I'm soooo happy to finally have pitchers again!
8JFanj6l.jpg

Variegated N.sibuyanensis growing in not variegated. Hmmmmmmm
GneYtw2l.jpg

My office plants enjoying the darkest corner of the grow room. I guess neps like it brighter than most plants?
BsrqFBll.jpg

Flowers for more flower beds outside!
hhAdpmml.jpg

uyvqeWBl.jpg

ferocious guard-beast
3yaHKX0l.jpg

An update on that N.jacuie x eymae now that it's grown in. So red!
gELbEbWl.jpg

N.campanulata x maxima basal awww!
ceVftVfl.jpg

Vanilla orchid vine. It looks bad but... I need to sort out what to do with it. Maybe drape it down a rack? It was definitely unhappy in the hallway with the mango so both of them are now in the plant room. It was supposed to be all variegated but I actually like having the contrast.
CeeX1rLl.jpg

N.campanulata x thorelli (or is it the other way around?)
kZoRKNdl.jpg

trXQZvnl.jpg

Weeeee little N.mikei basal pitcher
sNOV1Y3l.jpg

And an upper at the same height as me
Nh9G2pDl.jpg

I'm starting some veggie seeds for a dear friend of mine
FQL1rOOl.jpg

...to be continued...

Such a nice collection! That eddie and jacqu x eymae are incredible!! What lighting do you use?

Such a nice collection! That eddie and jacqu x eymae are incredible!! What lighting do you use?

Thanks, and welcome back to the hobby! I bought these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0761KKJGQ/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016CZMOK0/

And not necessarily this brand, but the same wattage/spectrum 100watt equiv/daylight with cheap metal bells around them. This stuff you can probably get from Home Depot pretty cheaply
https://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-263...ds=ge+26w+cfl+daylight&qid=1590502504&sr=8-13

here's the outside stuff -
I grabbed shots of my veggie garden how it's coming along!
9xrB2Eal.jpg

rBwu5oQl.jpg

mrDNu7Ol.jpg

cRqcIyvl.jpg

bare dirt where I should have parsley. Come on parsley, where are you??
hxQaUQAl.jpg

Corn, beans and squash... and eggplant. Of course suddenly we're supposed to have a cold wave and have 48F at night next weekend. I'm covering everything with bubblewrap and hoping for the best :O
17nu6w1l.jpg

This is either tomatillo or ground cherry...
8HBr0yul.jpg

...because this is either ground cherry or tomatillo
CiV02rZl.jpg

Ok so I thought the seeds off of really tasty strawberries I had in San Diego last year were sterile so I planted over them in my seedling trays with Dieghito Jalapenos - nope :O suddenly little leaves were sprouting up in the peppers and I thought it was the lemon balm invading at first but no, the tasty medium sized red strawberries are popped! I hope they survive my brutal ripping out from when I thought they were lemon balm
Nwl0pkpl.jpg

Ok excuse the focus not being on the pitcher but I was excited to finally show off my first opened up pitcher of the year! Dark veined S.flava ornata semi-dwarf! It had a bloom but the :censor: squirrels that I assume are ripping up my sunflowers also pulled the bloom off this :censor:
KmSpBNbl.jpg

One of the sunflowers I put inside the deer fencing to keep at least 2 sunflowers unharmed from the critters. Inside started so they came up a little wobbly so I'm attempting to stake them straight while they're still supple
gABE3gAl.jpg

I've got my potatoes set up to chit in my cellar - I was expecting them to already have little sprouts up when I got them but... fine. I can wait. I guess. The white ones are in the lead!
8nwIqsCl.jpg

Rhubarb, from seed. I'm starting more because I've decided the 3 that I already have just isn't enough...
TrbLYSHl.jpg

The ladybugs have voted my garden a great place to set up shop
R7Tj0Edl.jpg

I want to show off the nice big Thistles I've got in my yard :-))
Mo7ZrUHl.jpg

5WzTazKl.jpg

I hope they're protecting the sunflowers I planted from the horrible squirrels that keep digging them up and decapitating them :censor:

A whole row of sunflowers if the dang varmints stop ripping them up
2PF9rgkl.jpg

tsc4UnFl.jpg

I planted the supposedly good companion flowers in the veggie beds to try to help with the bugs situation - zinnias and marigolds and nasturtiums all over the place. Oh and calendula too
h0tWRa3l.jpg

Strawberry glamour shots :p
phxOMSql.jpg

aFCIISCl.jpg

Those alpine pineapple strawberries I started from seed
8fMjmo2l.jpg

D.multifida's been out since I kicked the Sarras, vfts and rhubarb out too. When we had that surprise frost a couple weeks ago all its leaves died back but then it resprouted again.
LBihWVpl.jpg

S.umlautiana my second open pitcher of the year! I fed it a caterpillar already. The flava got the beetle grubs I found while I was digging out holes for the sunflowers in the sod
6ykJk9cl.jpg

Vfts mainly
Z00DZc1l.jpg

Nasturtium - I ordered a little later in the season so all I could find for a decent price was dwarf nasturtium so that's what I'll be growing!
JscpX3Sl.jpg

Hey so my S.minor antho free still hasn't popped up. Is it dead? does it usually take a while to come up in the spring? Help! Everybody else is showing signs of life already including an okee giant minor so I know it's not a minor thing.

And some nice flowers around the yard that are popping up this year :)
JMF5ffJl.jpg

There was a nice yellow rose too but I wasn't quick enough to get its pic
ZTPo4FDl.jpg

Ok, this was a big post!

Last edited:
Nice! I have stenocereus, haageocereus, echinopsis/trichocereus/lobivia (same thing), melocactus, echinofossulocactus, and a few arrojadoa cacti seedlings. Nice nepenthes! I'm hoping to see uppers on my larger glabrata soon

You're just not doing enough. Surely, you can rescue a couple of Home Despot Nepenthes mutts, a capensis or two, to round out that paltry collection. Looks too, like a varmint has invaded your house . . .

Last edited:
Nice lookin garden!! Your strawberries look really happy! We have harvested a few but its been so cool around here that everything is slow. Heck usually my lettuce is ready to bolt by now but this year its barely big enough to harvest yet. Im looking forward to seeing your garden grow.

I found this interesting plant growing in my rhubarb patch this morning. Seems to be some sort of scaly root vegetable - must be a rutabaga :-))
M4mptATl.jpg

It's about time I updated here - I finally took some halfway decent pics, but some of these are a little old because I haven't gotten Imgur to work for a little while now. So I've uploaded here. The forum wants a lot of them to be sideways though so... enjoy the neck stretches after a long day behind a computer, staring into the void:

Oops I bought a new plant. Not only is it a new plant, but an expensive new plant, and also a cross of a couple plants I don't particularly like on their own, lowii x tentaculata, that actually comes together to form a pretty nice plant. As a bonus, it's a naturally occuring hybrid from what I've read.
IMG_9511.jpg

Here's the only N.tentaculata I actually like - the now-defunct Ft Bragg Hortus Botanicus maroon spotted clone. Keep your eyes peeled in the NASC for this one if it roots!
IMG_9538.jpg

N.aristolochioides lower that looks like a nice juicy strawberry. Also keep your eyes peeled on NASC for this one :D
IMG_9540.jpg

N.hamata x platychila lower. You're going to find him on the NASC too :D
IMG_9541.jpg

Variegated ficus elastica finally chugging along again after overcoming the shock of the cross-country move, growing like the weed it is!
IMG_9543.jpg

A couple pitchers off of Simon, my ventricosa x hamata. He bifurcates sometimes which is totally wild and I'm glad I picked him out of all the plants I had gotten (back in the day I got a handful of vent x hammies and picked just one to keep). If the cuttings from him root, you'll be seeing him on NASC too!
IMG_9514.jpg

IMG_9516.jpg

IMG_9517.jpg

Four of my ferns in my very small collection of ferns. I've got that rabbits-foot looking fern I got from Exo back in the day lurking in my Nep pots too. I think three are weeds from D'amato's shops' Nep collection.
IMG_9522.jpg

IMG_9524.jpg

IMG_9519.jpg

IMG_9525.jpg
(this last one is really supposed to be a U.alpina, which I'm doing terribly at, but the nice dark ribbed maidenhair fern they sell at D'Amato's shop is coming up as a volunteer in the pot!)

N.robcantleyii from the original SG release. She always makes stupid little lids, because somehow I can't grow Phillipine species well if at all for the life of me.
IMG_9531.jpg

N. xBriggsiana 'Peter D'Amato'. Back in the day I got about a meter of this and another named briggsiana cross - I lost a good 8-12 cuttings I had taken of it all except for this one, so it's a survivor! I took cuttings of it too, so if it roots, once again keep your eyes peeled for NASC!
IMG_9528.jpg

N. pulchra lower. Bought it from Wistuba's shop, almost a year ago. I guess the lowers look like every other spotty or striped Nep...
IMG_9536.jpg

N. xSong of Melancholy
IMG_9518.jpg

Commonly called 'Wandering Jew' vine, blooming. I didn't even know they bloomed like this. Nice!
IMG_9520.jpg

N.spathulata x hamata. Ok, same-ish sort of cross as Simon but entirely lacking the teeth. This plant is a disappointment, and it's exactly the reason you buy really-well picked clones from BE instead of seedgrown releases in case you don't want to be underwhelmed. I don't know if this is a feature of spathulata mixes or if I just got a terrible plant lol... at least it's a female. So I'm making some seed - I think I crossed her 3 blooms (it's been a rough year for the Neps) with hamata x platychila pollen. We'll see what happens.
IMG_9527.jpg

Another two expensive 'oopses'. N.spathulata x diabolica. Hopefully not a disappointment.
IMG_9512.jpg

...and a red spathulata. Because the brown peristome on the circulating green clones is just not my cup of tea.
IMG_9513.jpg

N.campanulata x (spectabilis x talangensis). Campy :love:
IMG_9529.jpg

N.ventricosa x xTrusmadiensis (B). It was hitting the ceiling already. It's got at least 6 growth points on it. So I cut it back! Keep your eyes peeled on the NASC if the whole meter of vines worth of cuttings root!!
IMG_9530.jpg

N.gracilis. It's a nice green one. Thanks to Ed at CSUF! It's finally growing - I thought I had lost the whole plant because the original cutting died back but luckily the basals have taken off. I think I need to go through and repot a bunch of things soon, and on the list is the N.vent Madja-as, lingulata, boschiana, this gracilis, sibuyanensis, vogelli, and eustachya x tenuis are on the list. The N.Gaya was on the list but i just repotted it today because I had some potting mix left over after getting something new in a pot.
IMG_9533.jpg

N.tenuis. Guess who else is on the shortlist for NASC candidates :D
IMG_9534.jpg

N.thorelli x campanulata. After the re-discovery of thorelli and looking at those pitchers, and comparing to this plant, it definitely looks like they got the right 'thorelli' in this cross. I hope she blooms this year because now that I can actually sprout seed, I'd love to get some little plantlets going! Time will tell if I can actually get stuff past 'seedling' stage though.
IMG_9535.jpg

N.hamata x campanulata. I just had to. What an abomination :-))
IMG_9537.jpg

N.clipeata. Or Clue-peata as we call it here :p
IMG_9199.jpg

My lithops! They're a year old now in that pic, from seed. As a swamp plant grower, I'm trying really hard to not water them!
IMG_9195.jpg

N.(lowii x veitchii) x campanulata. Yes, I hate lowii. Yes I hate the lowii-looks in this cross. But yes, I like how it adds longevity to the pitchers. Also keep your eyes peeled for this one!
IMG_9200.jpg

N.boschiana x campanulata. Blast from the past from the days that M.catalano ran a shop - he'd turn them around as soon as they got off the plane from SE Asia so you'd get a soft, in-shock plant but you knew that going into it lol... of course, being a desert grower, that meant I had it bagged and it didn't grow one. stinkin. milimeter. for a whole YEAR.
IMG_9201.jpg

Ok... apparently, I'm limited to 30 pics. Will need to continue in the next post...

Whew... continuing on, and I guess I don't have more veggie garden pics I want to post (it's been an exhausting year... I should have taken more pics but didn't, you know?)

N.spectabilis x talangensis upper. Keep your eyes peeled on the NASC for this too!
IMG_9212.jpg

N.edwardsiana. Apparently, they're sorta spotty. Either that or just mine is?
IMG_9496.jpg

N.glabrata. Wish I woulda gotten it in focus, but the nice pitchers are now gone... because I took cuttings for NASC :D Thanks to chibae for this plant back in the day!!
IMG_9464.jpg

N.bongso lower. This is the old Malesiana clone - I guess there's new seedgrown ones on the market now, but this one's pretty good too. I took a cutting of one of the old main growthpoints - mine's got a good 3? Or had. All about a 8-10" tall, I don't remember when they all grew in, and that's as tall as it ever gets for me and has never bloomed yet in the about-decade I've had it. Anyway, another NASC item to keep your eyes peeled for!
IMG_9444.jpg

N.densiflora x robcantleyii. The pitcher's a good foot tall. the plant is a beast!
IMG_9442.jpg

N.Gaya. Ok, so it might be St.Gaya? But I bought it without the beatification so... I'm not sure which it is. But it's a dead-ringer for that nice khasiana cross that is the St.Gaya. I always love khasi crosses!
IMG_9439.jpg

My succulent collection! Still miraculously alive!
IMG_9423.jpg

Seedlings... before I accidentally dropped the container :O I hope they survive. I've never done this before!
IMG_9221.jpg

N.Nephthys. My only surviving Sam Estes cross from my trip to his nursery back in the day. RIP his shop because a volcano ate it.
IMG_9214.jpg

N.xSplendiana x xMixta. If only I had written down where I got it because it has a strange embossed metal tag with it so I'm a good 99% sure it didn't come from a shop. I wish this one would bloom, and at the same time as my campy crosses because I'm certain it would make the best hybrid ever.
IMG_9202.jpg

N.campanulata x maxima. The only bad thing about this plant is that the pitchers are as tender as a hamata's. Other than that, really wonderful plant.
IMG_9203.jpg

N.burbidgeae x campanulata. I mean it's campy. Crossed with white and spotty/striped. What's there not to love!
IMG_9204.jpg

N.ventricosa x inermis. I remember when everyone and their mother was selling these and nobody wanted to buy one. Now they cost how much??? So I took cuttings and am rooting for NASC too :D
IMG_9210.jpg

Last but very not least, my cute little double-campy hybrid seedling! It's N. (maxima x campanulata) x Hamakua 'Ninole' and I hope it lives up to my hopes and dreams!!
IMG_9498.jpg

And I guess that's it for now. I hate the picture uploading thing here (sorry adnedarn :-)))

I'd really, really doubt that any of the original "thorelii" crosses have any thorelii at all since literally no one had it; kampotiana and bokorensis are the primary culprits, and I'd bet even that "thorelii" x campy cross is involving one (or both) of those two. Concerning the spath x ham cross, spathulata is known to have boring upper pitchers so that may just be what you're seeing on that...but putting more hamata into it might make something really good.
Also really don't see why hamata x campy is an abomination; campy has small teeth but unquestionably it has teeth, and looks like that trait pairs nicely. I crossed lowii x campanulata with hamata x platychila, and I expect at least a few offspring will sport some impressive teeth off that (and some nice upper pitcher shape; don't know why you hate lowii, it's such a fantastically odd design). Should cross the hamata x ventricosa with a hamata x campy if possible.

I'd really, really doubt that any of the original "thorelii" crosses have any thorelii at all since literally no one had it; kampotiana and bokorensis are the primary culprits, and I'd bet even that "thorelii" x campy cross is involving one (or both) of those two.

Concerning the spath x ham cross, spathulata is known to have boring upper pitchers so that may just be what you're seeing on that...but putting more hamata into it might make something really good.

Also really don't see why hamata x campy is an abomination; campy has small teeth but unquestionably it has teeth, and looks like that trait pairs nicely. I crossed lowii x campanulata with hamata x platychila, and I expect at least a few offspring will sport some impressive teeth off that (and some nice upper pitcher shape; don't know why you hate lowii, it's such a fantastically odd design). Should cross the hamata x ventricosa with a hamata x campy if possible.

Definitely doubt bokorensis but maybe kampotiana might be a good culprit, but the dusky color of it really lines up with 'thorelli' better than it does to kampotiana. It was an EP cross originally so I've got my eyes peeled if I ever hear a final word on it or not. Either way, love the plant! Everything I ever grew that had kampotiana in it was amazingly gorgeous color-wise (RIP my N.xTriffid), and this plant just... it's not the same color palette, and the campy is certainly not adding anything from that angle. That being said, I wish there were some more nice kampotiana hybrids out there. Like a nice kampotiana x dubia x khasiana or something... I think that's pretty much just remaking xTriffid though hahaha! RIP Sam's shop again. And RIP Tony P.'s shop because that's who I got the thor x campy from.

The lowers on the spath x hammy are uninspiring too. Here they are:
IMG_9441.jpg
It's ok if I just got a 'miss'. If it was male, I'd get rid of it. I guess it's an ok pod-parent though. Actually looking back at my thread the uppers look sort of like the gracilis I've got so maybe I'll cross them when it grows up and see what happens.

And the last comment - because traditionally you have campy for the shape of the pitcher and the hammy for the teeth, so crossing the two really just... you're crossing the streams! I guess for breeding and making hybrids it'd be a good parent for that, if you're looking at making teeth, but I usually don't grow plants just for that. I guess the (spath x hammy) and (xSplendiana x xMixta) are the exceptions. The former accidentally, the latter purposefully.

And I've hated lowii from the first second I saw it :-)) The uppers are totally a monstrosity. The hairs under the lid are creepy. It just looks plain wrong, hands down. I'm frown/cringing as I write this lol... same with ephippiata. I'm glad I don't like it though because those hybrids seem to be the more expensive ones!

Ok, your comments on N. lowii have hurt all my lowii hybrids’ feelings. We like weird things in this hobby, that’s why we joined it(at least that’s why I did). What’s weirder than a weird thing in the middle of weird things that eats poop. THATS REALLY WIERD. Now that you mentioned you are going to put all those plants on the NASC auction I am in a complete mental divide. Buy Sarrs from Mike Wang? Buy nepenthes? ARGHHH :hopelessness: :headwall:

Looking very nice, haven't seen anyone with spect x talang uppers yet. They seemed to have worked out well. That edwardsiana is looking great too.

Back