What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping kittens from snacking on plants

I have three lovely little rescues that I share a house with, unfortunately they enjoy my indoor gardening for all the wrong reasons. I've found that RO water and ghost pepper powder make a nice wash that keeps the snacking to a minimum. I'm wondering what other methods any fellow cat owners have to keep the kittens in check. Pics of the culprits included for reference.
d5f39825b693edaf68d26accd053976f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Clear packing tape around the edge of a shelf works.

You place it sticky side up and when they try and jump up, or place their paws on it, it sticks! Replace as needed. Be sure to use small pieces so (1) they don't remove all the tape and give other cats access and (2) so they don't get entangled in a long piece of tape. Taking a two foot long piece of tape off a cat is not fun for anyone.

The packing tape is clear and they can't see that it's there, so in a few weeks to a few months, they will leave the area alone thinking it's still sticky and then you can remove the tape. Six months later, you may have to use tape again, or they may leave it alone forever. It all depends on the cats.

Good Luck!

PS thanks for posting the photo, cute cats!

Last edited:
I'll keep that in mind. Right now the bog is living on my computer desk, so they are getting up there any time I do work.

Just changed the setup. I also picked up some wheat grass. Hopefully it will distract them.
6701ab3484175babd7700f9cc22e5e45.jpg
82936fea50b7cfded40d646cb394ca3d.jpg

I make pepper tea and spray it on the plants. They take one taste and decide they’re not all that attractive after all. :) doesn’t hurt the plants or the cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's this double sided clear tape called 'sticky paws' that I've put on the couches and on the counters to train the cat. The packing tape is ok but getting it to stay put is interesting - with the double-sided stuff it sticks down so you can lay it vertically (couch corners, etc.) and you still have a sticky side up. One roll was enough for everything I needed to dissuade the little monster from. Here's a link to it on amazon, and I'm sure other stores have it too (I got it from my local petstore)

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-...ywords=sticky+paws+tape&qid=1600171356&sr=8-3

Great find! How does it hold up to fur buildup?

The first time he touches it and it steals some fur off his tail, the little goblin gives it a wide berth :-))

Goblin in question-

Attachments

• IMG_9300.jpg
    IMG_9300.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 58
Man I’m loving all these cute cat photos.

Tree cats!

And how cool is it that you've got all of them harness trained! Will they actually walk with you leashed, or do they just run around the yard safely on the leash?

And . . . I love the faces in photo 2 and 3. So expressive! lol

They're only about a year old (they were feral kittens when I found them) so they only really make it to the end of the block before the dogs spook them. I usually bring them to the tree after as a way to let them feel some controll over the situation. Clicker training with freeze dried shrimp was also a huge help.

Back