What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant of the Month November 2020

• Thread starter thez_yo
  • Start date

Vote for the top 3 best!!

• DragonsEye - D. hartmeyerorum

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • bluemax - D. 'Watari'

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • hcarlton - D. schizandra

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • adnedarn - D. scorpiodes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • jerrysmith - S. 'moorei'

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • murrkywaters - Utricularia (unknown species/hybrid)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • corky - D.hilaris

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thez_yo

instigator
1. Only ONE (1) Plant per member may be entered in any particular month. This means one Nep vine, one Sarr Rhizome, one pygmy dew etc.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. All entries must be clearly identified.
4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 11/30/20
6. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher, unfurling of a leaf etc. are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
7. If, for some reason, a single pitcher/plant/whatnot cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher/plant/whatnot entered must be clearly identified in your post.
8. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo, or sprouted from seed by the owner.
9. I didn't like this rule. You can keep entering the same thing month after month and if people still like it without getting sick of it, so be it.
10. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
11. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 12/01/20, closing 12/05/20 and using this forum in this thread! Voting will appear at the top of the thread at the close of the contest entries.

** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!!**

Contest will be closed on November 30th 2020 at 5:00PM EST

Good Luck!

Since Thez said I needed to post to the POTM but didn't have the chance to last month, I figured I'd start this one.

So without further ado I present Drosera hartmeyerorum. (click on image for larger view)

Drosera hartmeyerorum dark red A.jpg Drosera hartmeyerorum dark red B.jpg

Drosera hartmeyerorum dark red w trichomes.jpg

I've had a number of hart.s over the years, but this is the darkest red I can recall having. Also seemed to produce more trichomes than many.

Last edited:
NICE!!! :D and thanks!

A worthy opponent! And a species I still cannot get to survive past a quarter inch tall...

Since Thez said I needed to post to the POTM but didn't have the chance to last month, I figured I'd start this one.

So without further ado I present Drosera hartmeyerorum. (click on image for larger view)

View attachment 5567 View attachment 5568

View attachment 5569

I've had a number of hart.s over the years, but this is the darkest red I can recall having. Also seemed to produce more trichomes than many.

Certainly bigger and better than I have ever managed with this species. Nicely done.

I hereby pledge to bring you some competition this month.

Drosera 'Watari'

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

This plant is said to be the hybrid Drosera (linearis x rotundifolia) x spatulata. It is not really rare but not often seen, just the same. A pleasing thing to grow. The second photo shows the exact plant I am entering into the competition.

They call the maternal parent "linearis x spatulata" because that's what D. anglica originated from. It's anglica x spatulata.

Does the photo have to be of a CP? Can it be of related bog plants? I just took a bunch of photos on 10/31/20. Have to wait till Saturday to get some more shots.

Does the photo have to be of a CP? Can it be of related bog plants? I just took a bunch of photos on 10/31/20. Have to wait till Saturday to get some more shots.

Nope, it can be any plant you want! We had a non-cp last month in fact. It has been nice so far having an 'everyone has great sundews' month this month though because usually the focus is on the bigger plants like Helis and Neps.

How's this? Since you all are on Sundews, how about three? But that breaks the rules. And I took it in October.

D. filiformis, D. intermedia, D. rotundifolia 0.05 mm per div 2 Paint 3D.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

What are the size limits for uploading photos? I tried some that are 2 MB and they didn't upload. The above one was about 450 KB on my computer and uploaded about 60 KB.

How's this? Since you all are on Sundews, how about three? But that breaks the rules. And I took it in October.

View attachment 5576

- - - Updated - - -

What are the size limits for uploading photos? I tried some that are 2 MB and they didn't upload. The above one was about 450 KB on my computer and uploaded about 60 KB.

I don't think it meets the requirements of the contest, but I love the photo you posted. Very nice! I guess you could designate a single seed as your plant?

As for posting photos, you might find this useful:How to Embed Photos in Your Posts and where to host them. Most of us use an external photo-sharing service. I'm currently using ImgBB here: https://imgbb.com/ It's free.

Last edited:
Mark, it was a joke really. I don't have many photos taken in November. Hope it is not raining on Saturday, although it is calling for rain. Most of my plants are preparing for their winter rest.

But if you want a single seed? Here is Drosera intermedia, scale bar is correct: 0.10 mm.

rsz_d_intermedia_4.jpg

Yeah I think the spirit of the competition is an already growing plant because I don't think a seed technically counts as a plant yet.

The forum will adjust sizes to minimize load/hdd space of images. To help keep bandwidth down, large files are not allowed to upload even though they will be downsized, it's still a lot of MB into the server. I believe 2mb is the cut off for a upload. I don't think that's per photo though, so you can't upload 3 1mb files at the same time for example. Hope that helps!

The forum will adjust sizes to minimize load/hdd space of images. To help keep bandwidth down, large files are not allowed to upload even though they will be downsized, it's still a lot of MB into the server. I believe 2mb is the cut off for a upload. I don't think that's per photo though, so you can't upload 3 1mb files at the same time for example. Hope that helps!
Thank you Andrew. I used to use Photobucket when it was free, as I'm sure a lot of you did too. I think I have tried ImgBB as suggested. I just forget about it, since I don't use it much. I used to use Photobucket a lot when Forums were really active. Facebook has really taken over. Don't like it as much as Forums. Your thread gets buried so quickly.

Posting here has an entry pic tax :p You got some scorp sprouting yet??? :D

Posting here has an entry pic tax :p You got some scorp sprouting yet??? :D

Opps my bad. Nope, not growing yet.

D. scorpiodes gemmae :p

20201118011647-9319bd57-me.jpg

OK. I bought 13 unlabeled divisions of Sarracenia from Sarracenia Northwest in 2018. This one is S. x moorei (S. flava x S. leucophylla) according to SNW. They kindly looked at photos I sent them and got back to me. This particular plant just sent up a small pitcher rather than more Phyllodia. Just in time for me to take a photo. I'll include links to the same plant from earlier this year to show other pitchers and the flower. But the first two were taken 11/22/2020.

Pitcher 11/22/20 https://ibb.co/p3Lrw0D
2020-11-22-SNW-5b.jpg

Pitcher 11/22/20 https://ibb.co/chCMcZC
2020-11-22-SNW-5h.jpg

Pitchers 6/15/20: https://ibb.co/Ks10DT6
2020-6-15-SNW-5e.jpg

Flower: 6/15/20: https://ibb.co/z7srsqt
2020-6-15-SNW-5f.jpg

Pitcher 7/30/2020: https://ibb.co/x2F1D1F
2020-7-30-SNW-5b.jpg

Last edited:
S. x mooreana is oreophila x leucophylla; x moorei is flava x leucophylla.

Back