What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes super grab bag from Predatory Plants (Photos)

Arrived today. I am a little upset at their shipping, I ordered this on the 14th, as Michigan was having a stretch of weather with lows above 40. They didn’t ship until Saturday, where it sat over Sunday and arrived today when it was 20 overnight and most the morning. If they shipped it like they say they do (2-3 days) it would have arrived Friday, Saturday, or Monday, which were warmer.

HOWEVER the plants appear fine so far with no visible damage…

All 5 potted up.

N. zakariana x maxima “Tentena” (N. Fanciful Machine) 2 plants in pots.

N. (veitchii x platychilia) x maxima “Tentena’ (N Vivid Machine). Beautiful deep color on a young plant.

N. sanguinea

N. Ventricosa. Was hoping I would miss this one in the mix but got one anyways.

N. glanduifera x tenuis

Overall I am happy with the purchase. I got it on sale for $105. They are back in stock now but the cost is up. I got a coupon for a free Nepenthes zakriana × (maxima × veitchii) "big yellow", or as they call it N. Fancy tapestry, right after I ordered. Figures. Guess I’ll have to order again before the coupon expires. I am excited to see how these go. They are smaller with smaller pitchers than I saw on other reviews, bit it is a decent mix and for the price you can’t go wrong. I am happy all 3 hybrids are fuzzy Neps :), those are my favorite.

Once a package is in transit the seller has no control over the length of time it takes to arrive, and the postal service has been having severe delays all year long due to COVID-19; additionally this is also beginning the holiday high volume season which makes even more delays. High volumes of orders right now can also push out estimated shipment dates, so if there is a concern over weather any time within the following 2 weeks of making an order you should make a point to contact them directly about shipments and if things need to go out quick or be held. An order on a Saturday for many stores is also right at the end of their queue for packing the following week and may not be guaranteed for rapid packing and shipping.

I understand about current delays. Just thought it was weird it went out on a Saturday. I wanted to purchase their cold weather shipping kit but they removed it from the website. This package did make it in a timely manner once they did ship it.

On a side note, here is some interesting news related to the USPS Detroit distribution center: I recently got some inside information (not verified so take it with a grain of salt) that they knowingly had active Covid positive workers on the job, which led to extensive shutdowns. I also heard they have had multiple Covid deaths related to bad sanitation procedures and poor actions against cases.

Again, it's not really their fault about the package. It was just really stressful working open to close knowing I had a package freezing in the mailbox on the one cold day. Nobody wants to see their new plants frozen to death due to inconvenient package arrival dates.

I'll tell you it's a real toss up ordering anything right now because of the Detroit distro center. I could have 4 packages show up in 2 days but then have a time sensitive package take 2 weeks. It's frustrating but it is what it is.
-Nick

Those plants all look really great, actually. I've received some way worse over the years.

You're probably getting nice sales because people aren't really buying because of lack of funds because it's been a *rough* year, and because people don't want to take a gamble with shipping services given the state that it's in right now. It's costing less money but more anxiety right now. I've ordered and shipped some stuff in the past month because oops I'm a plant addict, and it's a gamble I accepted. I just had an unrooted cutting spend an extra 5 days in the mail because USPS seemed (based on how the package looked - attached here) to want to dropkick it and then lose it somewhere in Colorado, but the plant ended up being ok because I think I've used up my luck for the rest of the year. The heatpack was completely cold. That being said, I'm not ordering any more plants. For reasons:

USPS logistics
Second wave of COVID is horrible. Plants aren't a necessity so I won't make the infrastructure deal with them.
Too cold to non-anxiously rely on heat packs
I'm sick of plant things for the year. I've got a couple trickling in still but I don't want to repot anything for 6mo. I've had enough!! :lol:
I need to stop spending money because I've got other stuff I need to spend it on

IMG_9669.jpg

The N. glanduifera x tenuis pitcher has popped. I'm surprised to see this adult looking pitcher on such a small plant.
IMG-20201210-212929363.jpg
IMG-20201210-212945911.jpg
IMG-20201210-213014579.jpg

Back