What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much water?

I keep seeing a lot of threads about buying water getting pricey etc... How much water could ya'll possibly be using?? Aside from bogs I don't see how the plants can be soaking up all that much water. Even if you use 3 gallons a day, thats only a buck or so out of the machine. Sure its a pain to go to the machine and fill up 21 gallons a week, but is it really denting your wallet that much???

Casper

I am currently using about 5 gallons a week for all my plants. And yes it was getting extremely pricy buying it from the grocery store. Fortunately I have found a R/O water machine that sells pure water for $.25 / gallon. It's not too much hassle as the machine is right in the same plaza where I do my grocery shopping, so whenever I go to the store I just grab up the empty 5 gallon bottles and fill them then. I expect that some of the other growers use quite a bit more than me, especially those with very large collections and lots of Nepenthes and other plants that require constant misting and artificially generated humidity.

Steve

I have two potted VFTs. I go through a gallon about every 2-3 months.

With my greenhouse, outdoor plants and the indoor growchamber I go through about 5 gallons a day. So 35 gallons a week at most. If it is a hot hot day or long hot week then probably 40 gallons a week.

I have 3 terrariums, a small indoor green house and a bog (two small ponds along side). I go through 5 to 10 gallons a day with the ponds. I have three 30 gallon trashcans I collect water in so its not too bad. During the summer I have to rely on my filtering system a little.

i have an average size collection of cps and someother plants that reguire filtered water . i go through about 6 gallons of water a week but i don't pay anything because i have my own reverse osmosis system but its really slow and the bad part is not carrying the jugs in and out its waiting and filling them up , it takes about 5 minutes or more to make 1 gallon and only 1 gallon a day .

It varies for me depending on the weather...lots of hot sun and no rain, I can go through quite abit for the outdoor plants--bogs and VFTs. Indoors not so much...maybe a couple of gallons a week.

Last summer during the extreme drought (NO rain) it was rough...the water evaporated about as fast as I could put it in. So it was costly buying distilled water. Now I have access to the RO machines so that helps.

Suzanne

I'd say I use a half gallon everyday, and about 3-4 gallons a week. It only costs me like $1.50 per week so it's not that bad, I just buy distilled water from the store.

I'd like to start collecting rain water somehow though. Or a r/o water system would be nice, but i'm sure that costs a pretty penny.

yah , weather also depends on the amout used too , when it is hot and dry which was my summer and fall and i used a bout a gallon a day but in wointer when its cold humid and rainy i use less .

During the summer, I was using up to 1½ to 2 gallons of water a day.  In the past 2½ weeks I have used about 2 gallons of water and that was mostly on my indoor plants.  I haven't watered my outside plants in almost 2 weeks.  Mother nature was doing it for me.  And even though we haven't had rain in a week or so, I am still waiting for the plants to dry out.
rolleyes.gif

I use about 2 gallons of water a day. I use more when it is above 80°F. Sometimes I get lucky and it rains on and off for a few days. Currently, I am using water from two 30 gallon trash cans that I have setup under my eve spouts. I also use distilled water for my seedings.

Hello,
I go through 8 every week, But most are outside, and mineral counts are low so I fill up a big bucket.
Kevin

A gallon about every month to month and half.

Travis
smile.gif

Geez, Travis! I use at least two gallons a week!

I've used 5 gallons a day on hot summer days. on cool moist days, maybe a gallon a day.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ Sep. 17 2003,05:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Geez, Travis! I use at least two gallons a week![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I try to fit as many cp's into a 10 gallon tank but gets hard. Plus, my house is dry maybe I will move to Brazil and live in a hut.
wink.gif
smile.gif

Back