What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid addicts

Did you see the "60 Minutes" program on TV last night about people who are addicted to orchids? I found it interesting, especially the part about how they are cloned nowadays versus years of pollinating and re-pollinating them to get the desired or un/expected results.

I think they should do a report on CP addicts. If they got a lot of mail about the subject, maybe they would do one. Or...as Andy Rooney always says, "Prob-a-bly not."

Oooh, I saw that last night! I found one of the statements misleading. Somebody mentioned that "the first thing humans ever cloned were plants/orchids" or something close to that. I don't know if that's true, but it may confuse people. When people talk about cloning nowadays, they think of sheep. Tissue Culture is cloning, but a very different process. They should have clarified.

I found that last guy snooty. He looked down upon orchid growers for the mass market. There's a place for both kinds of growers. We need the mass market AND specialized growers. Newbies can be introduced to orchids when they buy one from Home Depot, and when they catch the Orchid Fever, then they can buy from specialized growers like him
smile.gif

I saw it too. He was opretty snooty, but I liked the paphiopedium!
biggrin.gif

My father called me to tell me it was on. The snooty guy said he sold an orchid for $20,000.00! That guy does have some really cool paphs.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww! I didn't see it! I wish I had known it was on.
sad.gif
Sounds like it was really good.

No one should ever be snooty about growing anything. Everyone has to start some where and not everybody desires to be a world expert on a given plant. Hobbyists can enjoy their plants just as much as the professional growers enjoy theirs.

Suzanne

Back