What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy Photos

Alright i want the more experienced people to show there pics of going to dormant and dormant vfts sundews and neps
i also want them to explain what they need during dormancy to secure a healthy plant

Ummm.... There is a posted thread at the top of the list on dormancy that should have all your questions answered
wink.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Pics could be nice though for reference.

Oh, and Neps never go dormant

Also, your request is phrased badly. Something like "could someone please" would probably work better.

pyro can you fix it to Dormancy Photos
with a caption of post them here

I'm not sure how many folks would have photos of dormant plants...they are usually not much to look at. I know I don't photograph pots of crispy pitchers and blackened flytraps.
smile.gif

Its a little too early here for plants to be in full dormancy...things are still growing albeit slowly.

Maybe someone has a pic of hibernaculae though.

Here are a couple photos of plants that are dormant or starting to go dormant.

D_intermediaHibernaculum.jpg

Drosera intermedia
This is a photo from last season.

DionaeaDormancyStart.jpg

Dionaea muscipula
Here you will see that the traps and leaves are starting to blacken and die off.

S_cat_and_rubra_dormancy_start.jpg

Sarracenia catesbaei and Sarracenia rubra
One can see that most of the pitchers have browned and only a few newer pitchers remain. This photo was just taken after a heavy rain. The amount of water in the tray has been reduced.

Well....................

If these aren't dormant now, they should be.  They got froze the other night when I forgot to bring them in.  It got down to 22°F.  Of course, since then it hasn't gotten below 40°F at night.  Probably because I've remembered to bring them in at night
wink.gif

rolleyes.gif

VFTs%20-%20bet%20they%20go%20dormant%20now.jpg

i have never seen a goin dormant plant b4

Been there, done that, killed them... That is my story and I am sticking to it.
confused.gif
They should redo the makeup of a flytrap that does not require dormancy time. I have no problem putting them to sleep - they just do not know when to wake up.

Travis

Here is what my Drosera filiformis ssp. tracyi currently looks like at the growth point.

D_filiformis_tracyi_hibernaculum.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jmenprkr @ Oct. 16 2003,12:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Alright i want the more experienced people to show there pics of going to dormant and dormant vfts sundews and neps  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I have some neps that are dormant. They're in the great final dormancy.

LOL Ozzy! They're in "permanent dormancy"! I have a couple neps that languished in the mail for too long before I got them that have entered that phase. I'm hoping that extra humidity and light will reverse the process, but in reality I'm just keeping some lfs wet and warm.
biggrin.gif

Capslock

That Drosera filiformis ssp. tracyi looks like an octopus is strangling it to death. Its so icky looking.

Here are a couple photos of my D. rotundifolia as it enters dormancy.

D_rotundifolia_dormancy_winterbud.jpg

D_rotundifolia_dormancy_Stage1.jpg

Here is a Venus Flytrap Showing its winter leaves with one live summer leaf and several dead summer leaves. This give a good idea of the differences between the two types of leaf growth.

Dionaea_winter_leaves.jpg

nice vft pics nick , where did you get the plants from and what company , they have a really nice coloring .

any more (bump newbs are asking)

thx
i will be skipping it this year

Back