What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scorpions in south florida?

I was just wondering if anyone collects scorpions as pets? My other question is would anyone know where I could find Florida Scorpions in the wild in Florida?

Hey Lenny,
I love scorpions, and have kept many. You can see a pic of mine here

There are a couple Centruroides scorpions in florida, look for them under large flat rocks. My favorite one from florida is the C. gracilis. If you find some, hook me up!
biggrin.gif

I think scorpions are neat, my wife will not let me get any though. I was on vacation in the Keys a few years ago. Under the deck, were I needed to turn the hot tub on, I saw 2 scorpions in there. I went and got my camera and took some pictures. I would look for them to be in damp dark places, under fallen decaying logs and stones.

C. gracilis(aka Florida Bark Scorpion) is also my favorite one in Florida. I just wish I knew a place near by my house that I can capture a few of them. Larry, as soon as I find a couple I'll hook you up.
confused.gif
I'm still clueless where to find them around my area?? I didn't even believe my friend when he said there were scorpions in Florida.

Has anyone ever gone hunting for them?

Is there special equipment you need like a uv blacklight?

When's the best time to look for them day or night?

Lenny,

The few scorpions I have found in Titusville were under rotting logs and such. I found them in late evening but that is about the only time I can handle the heat there so... A black light might work for night hunting, maybe try your garden or junk piles and the like. Some place that has lots of "snacks" for them.

Look in dry sandy places. I found a few under an old board behind a motel down in Orlando.

Do you mean as close as the beach? I live accross the street from the beach.

I live in NW Fla and run across quite a few scorpions.  I have no idea what kind they are never really paid attention.  Just stayed clear.  I seem to find them around wood piles or in area's of water oak.  Have also seen them close to the Gulf as long as there are some downed tree branches around.  I'll keep my eyes open for them.

We have scorpions in S. FL. The wood piles around a place where I used to work was infested with them. When we showered and changed clothes after a shift it was SOP to shake out our street clothes, especialy our shoes. Two guys were stung and the pain was described as intense but no lasting damage resulted. I have no idea what kind they were but the biggest were about 3 to 4 inches long and a light tan color.

Back