What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calling Attention to

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
I just thought I'd call attention to the wonderful field report written and lavishly illustrated with photos by Barry Rice.  He posted a topic on it in the Conservation Station (NOT the Conversation Station...
wink.gif

tounge.gif

rolleyes.gif
 ).  Some people may not visit this forum too frequently and might miss this fantastic journey.  It is a report on a recent expedition to North Carolina to hunt for native sarracenia and the rare Venus flytrap (there are sundews too! ).  An easy read, funny and lots of photos.

He provides a link in his post which will take you directly to the article.  Its a fascinating read.  Sad too as there is much evidence of poaching.  Greed has to be one of the worst of human evils.  
mad.gif

Anyway, I encourage anyone who hasn't read this already to check it out...the photos will make you drool.  
smile.gif

Suzanne

Edited: because I am dumb.

Feel free to delete this post, I mis-understood the original post.

lol...I'm sorry Casper!   The "Conservation Station" is one of our forums.  
biggrin.gif
 A good forum too...lots of info on bogs, poaching, restoration and other informative subjects.

Barry just posted this today. Let me see if I can snag the address without losing this post.  Better yet, I'll edit it in.

Sorry for the confusion.
smile.gif

Suzanne

OK...here is the info:

"Hey Folks,

I recently returned from a field trip to the mountains and coastal areas of North Carolina. I had a great time, and had the honor of seeing some endangered mountain pitcher plants as well as the usual squadron of plants you'd expect to see when I toured the coast. Unfortunately, the trip was marred with a number of observations of poaching (S. oreophila, S. minor, S. flava, Dionaea.)

If you want to see my photo essay, take a look at  CP FAQ entry that I just uploaded.  It's not all depressing, btw, there are some pretty nice photos of great plants.

Cheers!
Barry
ICPS Director of Conservation"

OK...apparently the link didn't copy over so here that is:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq7611.html

Hope that helps.

Hmmm, server is over the limit. Guess we blew its fuse, lol.

It was working this morning so I hope its freed up now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">He posted a topic on it in the Conservation Station (NOT the Conversation Station...        ). [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Gee, glad I never made that mistake before.
wink.gif
Ha Ha Ha k/d...Yeah, I there are a few forums that I hardly ever visit such as the conservation forum and butterworts forum and so on.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Greed has to be one of the worst of human evils.   [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I agree.

Thanks PAK I will take a looksE.
smile.gif

Travis

Gee Travis...I know YOU didn't call it the Conversation Station.
wink.gif
lol

You might want to try checking into some of the forums you don't usually go into. The conservation forum has some great articles and you might find yourself enticed by some plants you've never had any interest in. People underestimate pings. I didn't used to have much interest but NOW...I want pings! They are really lovely, fleshy, sticky plants.
smile.gif

That truly was a wonderful field report from Dr. Meyers-Rice! Very interesting, indeed!
Thanks for sharing that, Suzanne!  
biggrin.gif

Back