What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moderators

Hello,
I was wondering, how do you become a mod.? I see mods. of all ages, so can anyone become a mod? Thanks
Spectabilis73
smile.gif

Well first you gotta send in for a form and fill it out and mail it back they (Phil and Jeff) will send you a test to take which is fairly easy and you mail that back with $50? Im not sure if the price has changed since I became one. Then you go on a waiting list and wait for a topic to become available. Once it does they will contact you via email and you have 48 hours to respond or they go on to the next person in waiting.

Ok Ok so Im full of it
tounge.gif

basically I think Jeff and Phil have contacted us and just asked us if we wanted to be mods sometimes when a new topic was formed they have asked who wants to moderate it. And Yes anyone can become one if they show respect for the forum and forumites and dont make it a habit of being an ***, of course they need to be knowlegeable on certain subjects but you dont have to be an expert heck Im no expert
tounge.gif

I don't think I could be one I always offend mallets...
tounge.gif

...Frankly I do not need that kind of pressure put on me
wink.gif

travis

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">forumites[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Oh yeah! Go *forumites*!
biggrin.gif

(n/m)

Ditto to UC's explanation, but I believe P&J have now adopted a 'prize patrol' style of mod-selection (i.e. t.b.a. after the Super Bowl etc.).

No, seriously, P&J requested our modship based upon a variety of factors, schmoozing unincluded. Additional mod positions, I suppose, are not currently required by admin (it helps if you think of mods as volunteers in an organization; too few and the admin need to recruit more, too many and the organization becomes unmanageable). When new rooms are started, P&J often put out a notice asking for volunteer mods. If you have some knowledge of the room's subject, you may be interested in moderating/helping moderate the room. Also, keep in mind that if you (meaning anyone) have an extremely bad reputation on the forums as a result of blatant disregard of the forum rules (basically,treat others as you want to be treated), P&J may deem it innappropriate that you become a mod. Wouldn't you do the same?

BTW, the above par. is simply my interpretation of the info provided to me by the admins, Phil (Phlitrapguy) and Jeff (Jaie).

Is the "Golden Rule" some kind of a religious thing
confused.gif
? I think Borneo (among many other people) should be a moderator. Do you think I could be fit for the job, despite how I often brag (but you guys know I'm always joking
smile.gif
) ?

Haha Travis, theres realy no pressure involved with being a mod but it can become time consuming going over everything and making sure everyone is playing nicely, things are posted in the right place, certain stuff people post sometimes needs editing, gotta make sure people are giving and getting propper advice to the best of our knowledge. Trust me it isnt as exciting and glamorous as some may think and we dont get anything special for doing it aside from knowing we are helping out 2 of the greatest people (Phil and Jeff) and of course everyone else.
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (unknownclown @ Oct. 27 2002,12:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well first you gotta send in for a form and fill it out and mail it back they (Phil and Jeff) will send you a test to take which is fairly easy and you mail that back with $50? Im not sure if the price has changed since I  became one. Then you go on a waiting list and wait for a topic to become available. Once it does they will contact you via email and you have 48 hours to respond or they go on to the next person in waiting.

Ok Ok so Im full of it
tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
HA HA HA ........ You really had me going there at first I was like huh its that hard and what you got to pay
tounge.gif

HA HA
tounge.gif

_-West-_

You just want to be a mod spec because I whomped you with the mallet then locked to topic so you couldn't talk back! I got you figured out!
smile.gif

LOL

Seriously though, mods are barely needed on these boards due to the general good behavior and high quality of individual we generally attract. As such, we have as many mods on the entire board, as many forums have on a single thread...

I don't see the imediate need for new mods at this point, especially considering that some of the crap we have seen posted is never seen by you guys... our response times are pretty darn fast.

Rampuppy,
You guys are good. I did catch sight of one of those crap posts you guys have to deal with. It sounded like the guy that posted it was at least three sheets to the wind and had cross threaded his head when he screwed it on that morning. I couldn't believe somebody would post that sort of derogeratory thing on a CP forum. I went to a previous post then tried to check that one again and it was gone. Thank you and the other mods for being so vigilant.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

well, of all of them, I am probably the least vigilant, but thank you any how! I am sure all of us appreciate it...

yeah, that guy was a punk, and his IP is banned, he can never return. That would be Phil and Jeffy with the super big hammer there...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is the "Golden Rule" some kind of a religious thing
confused.gif
?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, kind of...the link explains it.

How to become a mod:

1) Be nice
2) Be helpful
3) Be patient
4) Be veryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryve

ryveryveryveryveryveryveryvery nice to Phil and Jeff
5) If #4 doesn't work, send a small "donation" to Phill and Jeff's PO box

wink.gif
wink.gif

hehehe

Haha Thats what Im wondering too! DE which link would you be refering to?
tounge.gif

ahhh ok THAT golden rule
tounge.gif

yes i got it. i'm not cruel just wanted to know so i could better myself and others. with your great wisdom

Back