What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous plant photos

For years and years, I have been interested in carnivorous plants, but
have often found it difficult to locate a photo of a plant or flower.
The Internet is a wonderful tool, but sometimes finding a particular
item requires wading through lots of irrelevant files.  So, I created a
Web page of over 2,500 links to photos, organized by genus and species.
I have at least one link to a photo of almost every CP listed in ICPS
Carnivorous Plant Database.

After months of searching, I have been unable to find photos for only 13
Drosera, 2 Nepenthes, 14 Pinguicula, and 99 Utricularia.

So far, my Web page design is very primative (ugly), but this is just
the prototype. Hopefully, you will find it to be useful.  Take a look at

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

Let me know what you think.  If you can help with suggestions or can
direct me to sites to fill in missing photos, drop me an email.

-BobZ-
rrz7001@humboldt.edu

Great Idea!! I like it. Two things:

all links to sundew matt's pages are outdated... try updating them. He made a new site a little while ago. His new page is at:

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Sauna/9219/
and at
www.sundewgrower.com

Alvin... The red piranha link should work. The originals are found at:

http://www.geocities.com/lacps//D_RedPiranha_.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/lacps//D_RedPiranha2_.jpg

...and worked just now for me.

yeah, keep it up, I'll email you links that you don't have as I find them. Thanks for the page!

-noah

I don't know what it is with the www.geocities.com links. The images are at the location that I linked, but geocities often returns the error message that "the page is not available". With persistence, I can get the page to show. Strange.

Any thoughts?

-BobZ-

Geocities limits bandwidth (majorly limits bandwidth) that may be the problem.

Great site though, you've done a wonderful job

I'd have to say very imprssive , very impressive indeed . although you have yet to find more vfts because people just keep cloning them and making new and different ones , I've heard that a person in the forums was looking for a pic or vft bart simpson and a person has a pic of albino . I hope you soon suceed in getting pics of all cps and probably you could even make a book called " Pictures of All current Carnivorous Plants " , I was wondering has anybody ever suceeded in publishing a book .

Awesome site!! I bookmarked so now I will know where to go to find pics. Great idea saves the hassle of trying to find pics.
A++++++
John
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Very cool! One or two problems though. First, links get outdated fast, so it may work one day and not the next. Second, many companies like Geocities, Club Photo, Tripod no longer let you link directly to images on their server. If you have enough webspace of your own, then you can put all these photos on your website (ask for permission to use photos from the owner first). You can have the net's largest archive of cp photos, how cool is that!
smile.gif

Bob that's a great job
even if few links doesn't work all the rest is great
Arie

Thanks for all of the kind comments. I realize that there is a problem with the Geocities links, not because my links are not valid, but because Geocities blocks them. The way around it is to go to the orginators base site and navigate from there. A real pain.

BTW SundewMatt has recently migrated his site from Geocities to www.sundewgrower.com and I will be replacing all of his links and reposting my Drosera page within a couple of hours. Again, thanks for the comments!

-BobZ-

Just wanted to chime in as well and say great job on the page, especially with the Utric photos
smile.gif

I have now installed a Perl script that automatically tests all links and reports on their status, including broken links. This should make maintaining the site more managable. I have now either removed those links that are are on antisocial servers (those that do not allow access to images directly) or I have replaced the link to point to a page that is accessible (this will require a bit more work on the part of the user to find the actual photo).

All suggestions are welcome -- particularly if you are aware of a photo of a species that is not on my links.

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

-Bob Ziemer-
rrz7001@humboldt.edu

Hi Bob, nice seeing you here at the Forum!

This is yet another great contribution from a long standing member of the CP community. Congratulations on your wonderful work, and for all the sharing you have done over the years.

To those who do not know, Bob Zeimer was a former director of the ICPS Seed Bank, and a generous contributor to the CP community.

It's a great honor to have you here, sir!

Hello Bob,

A most interesting and undoubtedly useful site and I really do applaud the effort it must have taken. However, is it generally regarded as ethically acceptable to link to parts of other people's websites without asking their permission or crediting them? I'm not really criticising, just raising a point. Some of those photos may possibly have legal copyright issues. For example, a few of the photos on http://www.borneoexotics.com are not legally reproducible outside that website's domain without permission, as varous book publishers own the rights to them.

Having said that, it's a great concept if you can keep the links updated!

Bob,
Great work - I can only imagine the amount of time it took to research all those links. Thank you for giving your time to do it.

From a rights issue I do not think there is a problem since the images themselves are not reproduced, just a link to the original location - this is no different than going to the website that contains the image and viewing it there.

I noticed that you have links to a few websites that I manage, I will attempt to ensure you get notification in the event I make changes and the images would move and require relinking, I would not want all this effort to go to waste.

Also, I have a couple of N. hurrellii images from Phill Mann - I will ask him if I can put them up somewhere that you can link to them, what other Nepenthes are you missing?

Cheers,

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">From a rights issue I do not think there is a problem since the images themselves are not reproduced, just a link to the original location - this is no different than going to the website that contains the image and viewing it there.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Really?  What if the website concerned has a copyright statement that is bypassed  by the link?

It comes down to how the individual court would decide to interpret the laws. Currently there is an understanding that any item published to a website is inherently covered by a copyright. It can not be copied, reproduced or used in a manner other than that intented by the publisher. In this case the images are not being copied, reproduced or used in any manner other for for public viewing. Since the websites in question are in the public domain (no private signons or memberships necessary to view these images), providing just a link to them seems to fall within the constraints.

My personal opinion is that it is better to to be cautious and approach the website owners to ask first, this will result in less bad linkages and no room for embarassing errors (as in swapping out different pictures with the same name once the link is in place). Also I feel that credit should be given whereever possible for the image. I recommend that the copyright and credit be embedded in the image itself to ensure that this is done.

My 2 cents and it is only how I interpret the copyright laws, others I am sure will read them differently.

Bob - I will contact those folks whose sites I am maintaining to ensure that they have no issues and let you know.

Cheers,

Hmmmmm. You raise interesting points. I was simply trying to be helpful to CP enthusiasts not be subversive or bypass anything. I guess you can't do anything in this world without someone taking offense.

The way that some folks have their web set-up requires a great deal of navigating to find what you are looking for. I thought that by simply pointing to the image directly would be of service to the user. They can always back-navigate to find the details of that image. Perhaps I should encourage that in my homepage. I did not put my pages up as a business or expect any remuneration. Also, since this is a hobby, I do not have unlimited time to contact everyone and get permission and then file that permission so that if someone complains in the future, I can prove I got permission. Actually, I probably could not "prove" that I had permission because all I would have is someone's email saying it is OK with them.

There was some discussion in the CP List that even putting a link to another site on your web page without permission was morally wrong because it increased traffic to that site! This seems to me to be an extreme view that would logically extend to links generated by Google and all the searchbots.

Some people actually put the copyright information on their link, for example,
http://bestcarnivorousplants.com/CP_Phot...._01.jpg
and/or with information on their photo.
http://www.sarracenia.com/photos1/dadel01.jpg

I guess my interim solution is to wait until someone complains and then simply remove all of the links to their photos, if that is what they demand. An alternative, for those that complain, is to find some close entry-point link that is actually better than an individual photo, for example
http://perso.club-internet.fr/epbb/pages/plantes/pinguicula_fiorii.htm
or
http://www.gluch.info/pingu38.htm

Thanks for your comments. This is a work in progress and hopefully it will evolve to be useful and mutually acceptable to most folks.

-BobZ-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BobZ @ Dec. 10 2002,9:O3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There was some discussion in the CP List that even putting a link to another site on your web page without permission was morally wrong because it increased traffic to that site![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Why would you put up a website if you didn't want people to see it.
wow.gif

The human race is in dire need of psychotherapy
wink.gif

confused.gif

I think your plan is good Bob. If someone complains then you can act to change things, but for now I would just continue wth your good work and see how it goes. As you have pointed out, no one has made any complaints yet, and this holds much promise!

Back