What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ohio bogs?

i live in youngstown -ohio - where is the nearest bog in ohio that i could see flytraps or something else at? are these places setup like a park or do you just have to guess where they are living?

The closest place you can see flytraps are North Carolina, It's the only real place they grow in the wild. Most of Ohios cps sites (that are left) are preserves. I think the closest one to you is Burton bog.

how owuld i go about finding out where this place is ?

hi there tuff guy i'm from ohio as well (20 min west of cleveland) and its good to hear from other cpers within this state.  i think this will help you my dude; its a list of preserves so check it out.its not n. carolina but its convenient

hey guys - yes that looks pretty cool- are we able to see the sundews and stuff up close though? if its on a saturday i have no problem being able to go. i will bring my buddy who likes flytraps and stuff. email me at flusz@aol.com and let me know all the details thanks

Since none of us have been to the next site that we plan to visit, I can't give you any details. Most of the sites that we have been to so far we have been able to get as close as we wanted. The last site at Kitty Todd preserve, the sundews were growing in the middle of the trail.
Keep watching, we will post the info on the next trip as soon as we can.

alright- cause i'm always busy thats why i kinda need to know.

Hey Ozzy,

The Burton Wetland Nature Preserve is 2 minutes from my sisters house. I never knew it had a bog! I will definately check it out the next time I visit her. I will post what I see and think of the place. It may be a month or two before I visit.

I visited a very cool quaking bog or fen this weekend in Northern Michigan (Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore). It had thousands of Drosera rotudifolia. This spot does not have boardwalks so I did'nt venture out too far for fear of falling through or worse yet, trampling the plants. I did see Utricularia machroriza in bloom in a wet depression. The Drosera have'nt flowered yet so I'm hoping to return when they are in bloom, this time with a camera.

It's great to see healthy wild populations of CPs!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's great to see healthy wild populations of CPs!!!!!!!!!! [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

*nods head emphatically in agreement*
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
alien.gif

Back