What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The everglades, dark, spooky and...

The largest bog in The United States, the Everglades, is located here in South Florida. The area must have been explored and the plants catalogued. There are dozens of species of orchids but are there any CPs indigenous to the Glades? If not, does anyone have a guess as to why this huge sub tropical bog…the habitat seems to be perfect, replete with a lot of insects that need to be eaten…would not have spawned at least one species of a plant that has populated most of the known planet? I have spent a lot of time hunting and fishing in the area in the past and never thought to look for any. I have access to an isolated hunting camp, an airboat and a Cessna 150…low and slow…and would like to explore for some of the exotic plants that must grow there.
wink.gif
confused.gif

Actually there are. You can see them right off the alley, the problem is that invariably the CP seem to grow in the gators favorite basking spots... I personally haven't felt brave enough to argue with the 15 foot gator to find out what kind of ping that is he's sitting on...

Maehem,

When you say 'alley', do you mean 'Alligator Alley'??

SF

Hey Maehem, back in the old days,a fifteen footer simply meant we were going to have a really big dinner and a very nice lunch the next day. Please elaborate on the types of CPs that are out there. Have you actually seen any of them up close and personal?..a mile marker would be helpful. I was thinking of wading Monument Trail to the old Lane camp and seeing what I could find.

Falcon, Yep, Alligator Alley. Billy and Red's camp...best darn swamp cabbage this side of Immakolee.
smile.gif

Actually they are all the way along, you just really have to look. Unfortunately I haven't seen any in bloom nor really felt like hopping the fence (the gator issue again) to get a close look so I can't give you a personal ID however, there is a link here to the plants national data base. and if you type in a name (ie sundew) it will give you a list of species and farther down the page a handy map to show you what states they are in. which you can then (once you have selected a specific species) click on the state for a break down of couties. This might help you see what to look for and where.

I read in another post that there are Sarracenia leucophylla there too. Probably other sarrs as well.

Thanks guys...and Kate. I will see what I can find.

Back