What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

I've had it!!!

I'm gonna kill that ###### ####### bird!!!!!!!!  
mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

I'm normally a very nice person, but this ######## has stimulated my amygdala and he's gonna <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>PAY</span></span>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So anyway, what pelletgun do the sportspeople here recommend that I get? I want to get a rifle (for greater accuracy) that can be hand pumped (so i don't have to buy co2 gas cartridges) but that's cheap. I've shot pellet guns before (once with my uncle) so I know how to aim, I just don't know what to buy. A website would be useful, but so would any advice that you can give.

Thanks in advance.

Jœl aka "El zorzalero" ( "The thrush hunter" in english
tounge.gif
)

well, my most favorite is my daisy power line 880. i got it from walmart. got an adjustable scope. and the setup is really accurate. don't remember the exact price though. it shoots bbs (cheeper) and .177 pellets (more accurate) the pellets must be loaded 1 by 1 though. as most pellet pump guns. hope this helps. here is the web site with the rifles...
daisy power line rifles
lates,
andrew

I agree with adnedarn.

My first bb/pellet gun was a Daisy, and I have fond memories of plunking away at cans and paper targets with it.

My father used it to kill a grackle that was pecking at one of our dogs when it was sick (dog recovered, Grackle did not). So a hand pumped daisy from walmart will do ya. (no waiting period I think either&#33
wink.gif

Happy hunting.

If you want to kill a small animal get one of the multipump ones, I think they are around $30+. For just injuring or scaring away animals get a cheap Red Ryder type daisy for about $10-20.
I had the Crosman Powermaster Air Rifle 664SB but I didn't like the scope so I took it off. It lasted about 10 years until somehow the air resevior busted and it no longer held the air I pumped into it. It was strong enough to kill a bird with a good shot in the upper body, but If I was going to kill a bird nowadays I'd use a 22 caliber or better to make sure I don't just injure the bird and it has to fly somewhere and die a long drawn out painful death.
Crosman Pneumatic Airguns

Could be worse Jœl. Around here it's deer, skunks, and the occasionall bear that come through.
wink.gif

You could also get a hand gun style of pellet gun also. But it requires CO2 cartriges. But they are not expensive and they last a life time! So say you bought 10 in a pack you got 10 for as long as you like (or as long as they are still in the box) You might have a war with this bird.
smile.gif

Thanks everyone.

BCK

hehe
smile.gif

I know that I'm lucky since I can keep my Neps outside, and there aren't any bears or anything like that around here, but this little thrush is really doing some damage.
sad.gif
He (I know he's male since he has a red beak) has already destroyed 5 pitchers on my ventrata, 3 pitchers on my truncata, 1 pitcher on my albomarginata, 4 pitchers on my gracilis, all of the pitchers on one of my raffs, all of the pitchers on my  merrilliana (
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
), and has pulled out 2 plants from their pots (a bicalcarata and vieillardii).
mad.gif
I could (a very big could) tolerate destruction of pitchers if it happened like once in a long while (a month or 2) but pulling out plants from their pots was the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't want to cause any pain; I just want to eliminate the problem as quickly as possible.

NG

I was thinking of getting handgun style pellet gun, but I much prefer the accuracy of a rifle. After I kill this ###### ###### I might actually go to my uncle's farm and shoot some of the pigeons that are plagueing him.
smile.gif
I did that a long time ago and it was sort of fun (even though I don’t really like to see the blood and stuff
sad.gif
).

I’ve done a little research ( here ), and I think I’m gonna go with either a hand pumped rifle or a spring air rifle. Everything around here is more expensive than in the states, so I’m willing to spend a maximum of $100. I’ll post a pic of whatever I get sometime next week.

Again, thanks a lot everyone.
smile.gif
(That ###### ###### won’t know what hit him >=] )

Jœl

You can get a good pump action air rifle here for $40-50. The spring kind aren't very strong, that is what the Red Ryder type are. I doubt they could penetrate skin. The only thing I kill with my Red Ryder type Daisy are those giant grasshoppers.

Awwwwww....can't you try something else that won't kill it? Its a shame to kill him just because he's doing what nature tells him to do. And YES, I know how you feel because the squirrels have done the same to my plants...repeatedly. And as mad and sick as I was over my losses, I still couldnt kill them. How about one of those windmill things that spin around? Or a rubber snake??
sad.gif

Suzanne

I'm with PAK,
there must be something else you can try, rather than killing the bird... who say's it's just one bird anyway, will you have to keep killing them till there's no more in your area???
what about one of those garden ornaments that look like the outline of a cat with sparkly eyes?

hope you can resolve your problem without killing anything

H

PAK and Helena

I understand how you feel, but I refuse to let my plants get eaten by anything. I thought about getting something that would scare this bird away, but I'm afraid that it won't work. This particular bird (Margarops fuscatus) is a very aggressive creature that will attack larger animals than it (like a cat) when threatened. I once kept a baby Pearly-eyed Thrasher, and even when small it would attack you if you put your foot close to it. Rubber snakes or anything like that won’t work on it. I don't like killing things, but I care a he11 of a lot more about my plants than I do it. Believe me though; I wouldn’t resort to killing anything if it weren’t for a good reason.  If I don’t get rid of him soon, I will loose my merrilliana.
sad.gif

Joel “the reluctant hunter”

EDIT: The problem is only with 1 bird, everthing else leaves my plants alone.

http://www.salonhogar.com/est_soc/pr/avespr/zorzalpardo.htm

you should do what i do,i got a screened in porch that allows full sun to come thru and no birds,but if the particular bird species was not in danger of of extinction then by all means kill the little bugger
wink.gif

Just do not get caught...some song birds illegal to shoot. Also if you are the city make sure you are sly about it. Good Luck, happy hunter.

travis

You don't need to go the expense of a pellet gun. I had a pigeon problem a couple of years back, and I made a blow gun with a 4 foot plastic tube (from one of those $3 plastic battle axes the sell around holloween), a paper cone and a nail. Shot the sucker dead. No more pigeon poop on the deck (and chairs and table, and one morning, in my cofffee).
Real easy to make, and accurate to about 30 feet, if you're good
wink.gif

If you like, message me and I will give you detailed instructions on how to make. The dart is the toughest part, but I got good at it in 3 tries. Can't be that hard!
wow.gif

i dont thimk there is any thing wrong with killing a bird ive lived in deep south ive eaten my fare share of birds and squerels for breakfast with my grits. But there is a way so that you dont have to waste a bird, get a trap at a local feed store or do-it yourself pest control shop, or even wall mart or K-mart or home depot. they are substantially less thana a good pellet gun,oh and im sure you can order them online. Hey and its more politicaly correct and you dont have to wait for the thing it waits for you. after you have captured the thing release him far away. Then if he comes back shoot him, or trap him again and have him with your grits,so as not to waist a perfectly good bird. Or you could keep him as a pet which would be my way.
biggrin.gif

You know those rubber snakes work rrrrrrrrrreeeeaaaalllllyyyy well... and are a lot cheaper, (just get the ones with the fangs) keeps squirrels away, too
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
And no one has to die... Give one to your uncle, too. or a fake owl, our friends have one, and they haven't seen a bird, squirrel, mouse, rat, etc. since... just my $0.02
smile.gif

GOOD LUCK!!!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Hi everyone.

I agree with PlantAKiss on this! We don't want another big argument <grin>, but just consider me peacefully protesting at the side with a big banner
biggrin.gif

I go for peaceful yet fun. Maybe you can find a used Super Soaker 2000, I have one. It was taken off the market for being too dangerous. 45psi of constant water stream, almost a gallon tank. You can hit light posts and people on the other side of yours AND their yard. Plus it doubles as something that you can aim at people (though I recommend eye goggles for protection).

I would go climb up the tree and act like a nut
confused.gif
...wait I am not a Tree Rat, sorry.
tounge.gif
My bad...
wink.gif

travis

Back