What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone familiar with this word...

• Thread starter Vertigo
  • Start date
Hmm, I have no clue what language this is anymore, but is anyone familiar with the word "gezacht"?

That's german, but you've spelled it wrong. The word is "gesagt" and it translates into "said" (I said to you "hey!"). You might have also heard "angesagt" which is "announced."

Note these are both in the past tense.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I've found that exact spelling over and over again in german and russian pages though, as well as pages from the netherlands.

Hmm, the only other thing I can find is it may be slang, kind of like chutzpah?
tounge.gif

I'm so confused. All I know is it's a form of dionaea without a description and no pictures, yet people seem to say they have it.

Hmmm. If that's the case, find out the origin of the name...That could be a big help. Makes no sense "D. musipula 'said' "
biggrin.gif

BCK,

Yeah, I read that, not that I wanted to when I finished.
tounge.gif
Didn't really make much sense, but it seems like they're just made up words. The way that article has the word listed it could be anywhere from night to gravy.
tounge.gif

It is indeed spelled wrong, but not in the way shloaty pointed out. I believe the correct word is "gezackt", which means "notched" or "jagged". The spelling given might be a jiddish or dialect form, or dutch?

-noah

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (noah @ Sep. 16 2003,4:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It is indeed spelled wrong, but not in the way shloaty pointed out. I believe the correct word is "gezackt", which means "notched" or "jagged". The spelling given might be a jiddish or dialect form, or dutch?

-noah[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks Noah. You solved a mystery.
smile.gif

So, I guess from now on if someone sees D. muscipula f. gezackt, they'll realize that it's just another dente type trap. Now if we could only figure out if it's just a name in a different language or not.

Back