What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum

Sphagnum is a huge group of plants and I've seen photos of many types.  They can grow as slow as 1 mm a year and as fast a 6cm a year.  A microscope is required for spiecies ID, but on the macro level they can look quite different from one another.  Currently I have two types.

Type 1, "fluffy".  I call this type fluffy because it has much finer featherlike leaves then what most photos of Sphagnum show.  It grows about 3cm per year and spoors every month or so.  Only about 1cm at a time is alive and is slightly yellower then grass green.  It is also somewhat pale and the dieing parts turn to a rusty brown as they form new lightish colored peat.  This was an ornimental Sphagnum strand placed next to my origenal flytrap (to survive) by "Little Pot of Horrors".

Type 2, "Standard".  this poped up in my first bag of peat moss.  I had planted fluffy in it, but I have recently noticed that this thicker more traditional type has started growing among it, in fact, their is actually more of it then the fluffy in that culture.  It is grass green.

Type 3, "bright".  This is a bright spring green that nearly glows with it's intense color.  This appeared in a dark peat pellot and is not old enough yet to discribe further other then the color difference.

So, I am curious, what sort of Sphagnum do you have?  It can come in a rainbow of colors, shapes sizes... Perhaps we can begin a little mini data collection of the types we find growing in out plants, and some day set up a traid system to help increase our collections of this secondary helper plant
smile.gif

-Darcie

I've got three types of Sphagnum.

First type is a green type. I call it "Green" Sphagnum

Second type is a red type. I call it "Red"  Sphagnum

Third type is a brown type. I call it "Dead" Sphagnum

tounge.gif

I tryed to add the scientific names for my sphagnum but all I could come up with was red green and dead. Sorry .
confused.gif

I just read that page. So when my red sphagnum starts growing green leaves, it means it's not acidic enough?

hmmm... I don't see Sphagnum on the site droserafan, and when i click on a link on that site, you have to have java!  
mad.gif
lol

You have to click browse,and type in sphagnum in the upper right search box.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (larry @ Mar. 13 2003,06:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just read that page.  So when my red sphagnum starts growing green leaves, it means it's not acidic enough?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I wouldn't worry about that. Live Sphagnum actually makes acid for changing it's enviornment.

...Anyone want to traid a few sprigs of red sphagnum to me for some fluffy?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PinguiculaMan @ Mar. 13 2003,06:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This link may be of some help:

http://www.botanik.univie.ac.at/pershome/temsch/basics.html[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
yup, that is an awsome page. It's partly what sparked my interest in the plants. Would you by any chance still have a link to that page with the specs on all the different organic and inorganic potting materials? It was set up in a table and I think the page was brown, I've missplaced the URL ;P

A truly awesome sight. Thanks for the info.

Back