What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bugs

This will be my last time posting about my substrate terrarium. As pretty as it is, none of my plants seems to be doing well in the conditions I provided. Enough lights, humidity, potting mix... These also seem to be a perfect breeding ground for these little bugs. Bugs the size less than a millimeter. They are small, and look a shiny silverish color. They are shiny, lights reflects off them very well. They are everywhere, and was wondering what they are. Hm......I think they are killing all the p;lants but I'm not sure. PLEASE HELP!!

I have those bugs in failed seed sowing pots and only when things are rotting.....
sad.gif

SF

oh, one of my drosera burnt up a long time ago, and it started to rot, I moved it out a couple days ago, but the bugs are spreading...Are they going to harm my other plants? What methods can I use to stop them? I can't drown them out because its in a substrate terrarium. I tried misting them out, but I think they like the mists =(

Hi. Sorry to hear about your terrarium. I'm not sure what the bugs are but have you tried a pesticide on them?? I'd recommend a contact pesticide that is also systemic. Systemic pesticides are absorbed by the plant and then circulated in the plant's sap. So if any bugs eat the plant they are poisoned. The only problem is it could take a week or so for the plant to start circulating it. But the contact part of the pesticide should kill the alive adult bugs. If the bugs have laid eggs in the soil then the systemic part should kill any new bugs that hatch. So hopefully this will wipe them all out. Hope this helps.

-buckeye

Hm......I'm going to go look for a brand of pesticide tomorrow, I got to make sure its safe for cps, cause I don't want to end up losing more then I was. People recommended me not to use a substrate terrarium. I thought it would be pretty cool. Hm....I guess these are some of the reason you don't use it at all =(.

Are these springtail? If they are thats so cool =D. I wanted to get some springtails, all I know is they are really really small, and dey like to jump around. They jump pretty far for all I know. If they aren't springtail, just tell me.

I'm sure that if you had any way of getting a good closeup picture of one, id. would be simple. As it is try to match their porfile ( size, behavior, environment, etc. ) to known species.

They could be springtails, BUT, they could easily be a number of other critters.

Brant

This is the time when you want to take Nick's Camera away from him. I am trying to buy the same thing, but all of us aren't as fortunate as Nick is =(

Back