What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to cps

Hello everyone! I have had a single cp for a few months now. I got him from home depot. he has been doing well in my greenhouse. Recently I added a sundew from my local nursery. while I was there today, they had a pitcher and a butterwort. I bought them. I am quickly realizing how addictive this hobby can be. Anyway, I planted all of the cps together in a 9'' ceramic pot. I placed a 2 inch ceramic pot within the large pot and filled it with distilled water. the plants all remained in what they were planted in and I added some sphagnum to the bottom to elevate them slightly. The humidity in the green house, is usually around 50-70 percent depending on the time of year and what orchids I have out there. I guess what my question is, is this setup going to make my plants happy? or will they need something else? Are these plants compatible? I live in Gig Harbor, Wa so I dont think that they sun will be too much, I also have a shade cloth that stays up all summer and into fall. Please, tell me where my setup is lacking. Thanks

Your setup sounds great. I don't think there will be any need for a shade cloth. Your cp's should get as much sun as possiable.
The only concern I have is with your pots. You shouldn't use clay or terra cotta pots. They can release minerals into the soil. This is bad news for cp's. The only exception to this is for glazed pots, they are fine to use.

Welcome to the addiction and our forums.

thanks for the relpy. I just got back from home depot with my mom and we bought a new pot as well as another type of sundew, another pitcher and a tropical picture. they will all be going into a new bigger pot.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BugEater @ July 09 2003,5:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">thanks for the relpy.  I just got back from home depot with my mom and we bought a new pot as well as another type of sundew, another pitcher and a tropical picture.  they will all be going into a new bigger pot.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
tropical pitcher plants should not grow in the big pot. they can get root rot eaily in bog soil... I would ask tony or swords about the soil mix, they are pretty much the gods of nepenthes!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

welcome to the forums,
-Spec

Oh, how rapidly they get sucked in
smile.gif

Welcome to the forums!

If you get a chance, snap some pics of your new treasures....we'll do out best to I.D. 'em for you. This is fairly important as different species, even within the same genus, may require quite different cultivation.

Your set up does sound pretty good for the more basic cp's (except for the tropical pitcher, or Nepenthes), but like Ozzy said, they could use some more light. VFT's, N. Amrican pitcher plants (Sarracenia...hope I spelled that right&#33
wink.gif
and most sundews (Drosera) are real light lovers.

Good luck!

Ill try to get some pictures later today. They have plenty of light, vft is pinkish red in the center. but thats a rare sight because it catched so many bugs. the shade cloth is mostly to keep the heat down. most of my orchids dont do well above 85

Back