What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pests

would you believe it???!
i tried leaving my vft outdoors overnight and came back in the moring to find it had been attacked by slugs, snails and a weevil!!!
it survived the orrdeal thoughh and i'm bringing it back indoors at night now. *fumes at the pesky pests*

HEHEHE the same happened to mine when i left it outside one night to get the rain-a green ant got caught in a trap then it's pals cut the whole trap off to get out there dead commorad-they cut off 3 traps! But my plant seemed to get over it and i think it toughtened it up...

Too bad! You should have put it in a dish of shallow water. Then it wold have been safe!

By the way, what is your pest hate? Mine is scales and mealies. They come together very often. And root mealies are deadly!!!

I have never had anything attack my plants, it may be because I live on the second floor, but as of yet, the only thing to take up residence in or on my plants, is a tiny little spider in my terrarium... I leave him because I figure someday, he will take one wong step... you see he strung his web right over the sundews! HAh!

But in all seriousness, the only real pest i had this summer was the 4 and 5 inch long grasshoppers... I swear, it was like a plauge of biblical proportions... I ended up having to execute them by sneaking up with scissors and cutting them in hald... the only other thing that worked on them was hornet spray, and that does not have nice effects on your plants... this spring, I am going to start a bunch of praying mantis's, and let them go into the woods behind my house... all the ladybugs are wonderful, but they don't do jack squat against grasshoppers... maybe I should put one of those scoprions on a leash on my porch...

I HATE APHIDS! They attacked my sundews! I almost lost my D.intermedia cuba! I got revenge though....I drowned all those &#36%^&s! lol
smile.gif

My vote for nasty pest would have to go to the root mealy bug. I, thankfully, have never gotten them in my CPs but I fought a prolonged battle with them in a collection of cacti some years ago. There are some root structures that you CANNOT get them out of. Frustrating. The other epic battle was with a catapillar that could eat an entire rose bud in one night and disapear into the mulch at the bottom of the plant before the sun came up, took me two weeks to track him down. That might be why I like CPs so much hehehe. Revenge is a dish best served green.

LOL nep g the green ants just skimmed across the dish of water i had my flytrap in-and it was 2cm deep!
The pests i hate r the ones not easily detected-like those tiny little mite things that i see crawling on my plant-i can't do anything about them though cause my mother just thinks i'm over reacting....

Mondo,

You know what i suggest when Mom's and Dad's get in the way of your hobby? Educate them.

First, get on the internet and identify what you have, if the 'little mites' are red, they are spider mites, if not, look until you find out what they are... use a magnifying glass. Nepenthes Gracillis (The person not the plant) seems to be pretty up on his bugs, and he might be able to help you out.

OK, armed with info on this bug, and how it will effect your plants, present this info in a paper to your parents. Yes, I said a paper... it doesn't have to be long, like a page or so, put notation in your teachers would be proud of.

Your paper should:

1. Outline the species of pest
2. Identify Control Methods
3. State clearly WHY these pests need to be controlled

After the effort you put into that, I am pretty sure your parents will help you eliminate the pests, if for no other reason than the effort you put into the paper, it shows the plants are a part of your education...

And NO... I AM NOT A NERD!

Well my plants haven't been attacked by bugs so my vote on pests would have to be the annoying irritating roomate. You can't poison them, drown them or squash them (without going to prison) and unfortunately they're still too big to stuff into my nepenthes. C'mon plants GROW!!!!

Ahhh... the ever so wise Swami Ram_Puppy has a solution for you as well...

Get your roomie a 'friend' of the opposite gender, and make sure their new friend likes to go lots of places! Your roomie will never be around!

I apreciate the suggetion Swami Ram Puppy but she has another half and they don't go anywhere
mad.gif

oh well we won't be here for too much longer, I hope.

Hmmm... time to break them up! No.. Just kidding! Ha!

Back