What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcherplants

• Thread starter scootertrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly
S

scootertrash

please can someone tell me how big pitcher plants get im new to this and what about fly traps how big can they get thank you mindreaverr@aol.com

Moving this to the general discussions forum as umm it's kind of a general discussion! hehe

Pitcherplants is a common name for many different genera of plants. Cephalotus are only a few inches across. Some Sarracenia will get several feet tall with thin upright pitchers. Some Nepenthes will get 6'+ across in diameter (although most are smaller)

A good place to start would be to get a copy of "The Savage Garden" by Peter D'amato. It covers all the genera of carnivorous plants along with culture and descriptions of many different species.

Tony

The biggest cp I ever saw was a S.flava in the wild. They were almost 4ft tall.
The biggest Vft I ever saw was at the Cleveland Science Museum. It was about 2ft tall, the leaves were about 3 ft long and the traps were about 1 ft wide!!!!
This is not a misprint, and it's no joke either.

Oh yeah, did I mention that the flytrap was plastic?
Latin name (Dionaea muscipula cultivar plastik)
biggrin.gif

The flava's were real.

Back