What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fruit flies

• Thread starter joseph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly
What should I feed my cute little fruit flies so that they make more cute little fruit flies? I'd rather not order fruit fly food, I'm think apples and bananas.

joe

Bananas sound good.  You know the old saying,

"time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana..."
wink.gif

Well don't know the old saying but i'll take your word for it.

joe

where do I get flying fruit flies from? you know the type that feed themselves to the plants.

joe

Um yeah I think I would go with fruit since they are FRUIT flies
tounge.gif

Go ahead and say it I know I'm a smart ***
wow.gif

I'm curious about these "flightless" fruit flies. I'd like to raise some but don't know where to get them. Regular fruit flies won't do... I'd get some major crap from the girlfriend if I let loose a bunch of winged insects in the apartment.

fish stores sell flightless flies.

clown..

joe

My mom tried raising fruit flies for her plants not long ago, while my dad was away for a few days... I went home for the weekend that week and she had a huge bowl of rotting grapes between a couple of nepenthes... Basically, you can feed fruit flies grapes, and they will multiply very quicky, but it creates a smell not unlike, well, rotting grapes. She's tried it with parts of bananas as well... I keep trying to convince her the plants will be fine without her breeding food for them, but no, she has to keep rotting fruit and flies for them.
sad.gif

Btw, I thought the old saying was "time's fun when you're having flies".

I think I would tell your mom to ditch the grapes thats just gross I dont think apples get stinky when they have been out or maybe some orange peels not banana peels they get too slimey!

Cchang you can buy them at petsuply stores or there is another thread here in general discussions titled "Which would be good for cp's? " I listed a few places there that sell them off the internet.

Ok, I went with apples, strawberries and blackberries. (had them on hand)

joe

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I'd get some major crap from the girlfriend if I let loose a bunch of winged insects in the apartment.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Cchang, I see your girlfriend and raise you a wife...
wink.gif

Carnivorous23. LOL!! Only if you're a CP!!
wink.gif
wow.gif

Unknownclown, I KNOW your talking to your plants, right
(Bite me....please)?
wink.gif
wow.gif

Um yeah sure... the plants... thats it ....how did you guess?
wink.gif
God you just gotta love them when they start getting nippy!

Back