What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting peat to sink...

Hello,
How do you get that annoying floating peat to sink? I need to know soon because my u. gibba has been in it's little ziplock bag since mon. Thanks - Spec73
smile.gif

well put a layer of your cp sand over the peat moss. this will keep the most of it down. the rest should settle over time....
or if you want to start over... make your mixture. put a layer of sand down. then put the water in. put a small saucer down for the water to hit so you don't move the sand and let the peat up. then the water should be nice and clear. be carefull not to dig it up too much when "planting" the gibba in the soil.
later.
andrew

My U. gibba is floating in water with a bit of peat in it.

But...

If you want the peat to sink, you will need to put a layer of moistend peat on the bottom of the container covered with a layer of sand. Then, slowly pour water into the container being carefull not to mix up the peat and sand.

I also understand U. gibba can be planted in the sand/peat layers and allowed to grow. I have also read it works well as a floater.

I hate floating peat.
mad.gif
Here's what I do to conquer it when I have no batch ready for my new plants:

1) Fill a container with the amount of soil mix.
2) Add distilled or purified water.
3) Cover the tank with plastic sheet.
4) Place the tank out in a sunny spot.  
biggrin.gif

5) Wait around 10 mins

Boom.
biggrin.gif
You have urself ready made soil within 10 minutes. All the water sucked up by the peat moss and now it's ready to be planted in.

CAUTION: I would wait around 15 mins to cool down as it would fry the plants' roots.
Also note: The process depends on the intensity of the sun. For example if the sun is shining intensely this process would go faster. But if the sun is not, this process might take longer as evaporation and condensation wouldn't won't occur quickly.

It's wierd but works.
biggrin.gif

Back