What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've been looking for CP in stores like Lowe's and in tropical plant nurseries for a while now. This is what I've found:

Drosera spatulata
D. adelae

Dionaea muscipula 'Typical'
D. muscipula 'Dente'
D. muscipula 'Cross teeth' (only appears on every few traps)
D. muscipula 'Giant' (Don't know which type, but it is a giant)
I also found two other types. One with the coloration on the outside and inside of the trap and another type with coloration extending into the cilia.

Nepenthes ventricosa 'Red'
N. x Ventata
N. x hybrids

Pinguicula primuliflora

Sarracenia rubra ssp.
S. purpurea ssp.
S. x hybrids

If you found something not on this list at a store/non cp nursery. Post it here. I'd like to compile a list of every species/hybrid sold at retail stores like Lowe's and Home Depot.

Mike
smile.gif

I have found some the following not on the list:
D.californica
S.flava
D.capensis
D.capensis "alba"
I have heard that P.'Titan' and mexican Ping hybrids are also found at HD, Lowes, but rarely.
How do you know that the flytrap is a "giant" clone and not a well-grown typical clone?

I have found the following in stores:
D. capensis
Commmon Vft's
D. pygmy
S. purpurea
Some kind of Butterwort...Did not buy it.

Travis

The traps on the Giant VFT were much more than 1.5" long, and they were on leaves about an inch long.

I have have found in addtion to the above lists:

Darlingtonia californica
Sarracenia rubra
P. primuliflora

3 years ago I found P. ionantha.

Nick,

D.californica, S.rubra, and P.primuliflora were mentioned on the above posts
wink.gif

monkeyman,

Many of the "giant" clones in the U.S. are well grown typical flytraps. 1.5 in.traps is a possibility for a well grown flytrap.
I am skeptical that the traps are more than 1.5 in...

I have found :
vft:
typical
red variety
blood red traps

sarrs :
purpurea venosa
flava
rubra
leucophylla
minor
pssitacina
x wrigleyana
judith hindle
catesbaei
chelsonii

darlingtonia californica( these were very big 7 - 9 inch ones that were sold for about a buck each and were bareroot with no soil ) and there were samlelr oens in pots

sundews ;

capensis
spatulata
filformis
filformis tracyii
binata
adelae

cephalotus

nepethes hybrids

Goldtrap2690,

The Darlingtonia sounds wild-collected...what company are they from?
Cephalotus in a general gardening store, are you sure?

I know for a fact that the traps on the VFT were at least 1.5", if not more. But, it may well have been a typical VFT.
smile.gif

goldtrap, a Cephalotus at a Lowes or whatever? Highly doubtful, I'd like yo here about that one.......same with the Sarracenia minor. Well not on the lists below, i have found N. Judith Finn and N. truncata, the N. truncata had no roots, so i didnt get it. But it was a truncata,
                                               Kevin

Ah, the joys of leaving in the middle of a post. I left in the middle of my post and came back to finish it. Looks like a few others posted in between that time.

So far the list is:

Drosera spatulata
D. adelae
D. capensis
D. capensis 'alba'
D. pygmaea
D. spatulata
D. filiformis
D. binata

Dionaea muscipula 'Typical'
D. muscipula 'Dente'
D. muscipula 'Cross teeth' (only appears on every few traps)
D. muscipula 'Giant' (Don't know which type, but it is a giant)
D. muscipula (misc. red types)
D. muscipula (color on both sides of trap)
D. muscipula (color extending into cilia)

Nepenthes ventricosa 'Red'
N. truncata
N. x hybrids

Pinguicula primuliflora
P. ionantha
P. x hybrids

Sarracenia rubra ssp.
S. purpurea ssp.
S. flava
S. leucophylla
S. psittacina
S. minor?
confused.gif
?
S. x hybrids

Darlingtonia californica

Cephalotus follicularis?
confused.gif
?

I've seen:
Nepenthes? Probably Nepenthes x judith finn
Drosera spatulata
Sarracenia rubra ssp. (I think ssp. rubra)
Pinguicula primuliflora (or it could be ionantha [spelling?])
Sarracenia wrigleyana
Drosera adelae
Common VFT

ps- don't forget:
Nepenthes villosa
Nepenthes rajah
Sarracenia oreophila
Nepenthes # 6

Just Kidding!

the darlingtonia I think was collected , i do not know for sure , my nursery gets alot of plants that they don't know where it came from the the cobras were abreroot and had no tag on . the cephalotus was a lil itty bitty seedling but it died . the plants that i found at my nursery were from companys like gub;ler , boomna floral , and cooks .

In addition to yours, I've seen-

D. capensis typical
D. capensis narrow leaf
D. binata typical
D. x Marston Dragon

S. pittstacina

N. x judith finn
N. ventricosa
N. 3 other types of hybrids

P. lutea

Dionaea muscupula? (venus flytraps)
typical
dente
clumping form

And, I think that's it.

Nepenthes maxima from Home Depot (Gubler).

The Company that sells at lowes is called Botanical Wonders they are a big conglomorate so i don't think they are harvested. and i found a Sarracenia wrigleyana at a local lowe's.

I found what looks like a D. rotundifolia at Home Despot about a week ago that was in very poor condition. All of the original growth was dead, but there were several very small plantlets coming up from the dead growth so I asked a "salesperson" (oxymoron) if I could get a discount. He made the mistake of taking an attitude and told me that they did not discount plants, that they wrote them off and threw them away. So I bought it anyway, took it home and replanted the plantlets. Then I waited a few days and returned the dead stuff to the store for a refund (They claim to have a 1 year guarantee, take advantage of it). The dipsh$$s that work there may think they are on top of things, but I can show them they are not.
Now if I can just make the sprouts survive that would be wonderful.

I've seen all the plants from botanical gardens at Lowes, including quite of few nepenthes. I bought two small ones and planted them in the same pot as my N.bical. They look like they are about to take over, they are very fast growers. Looks like I'll have to repot them very soon.
I can't remember who it was but somebody asked for the the phone number for botanical wonders a few months ago. If you still want it let me know, I found it.
My prize find was at a greenhouse about 2 miles away. I drove by it everyday so I decided to stop and ask if they had any cp's. The woman said they have sold out, except for one pitcher plant. I asked what kind it was and she said she didn't know. She took me to it and it was a medium sized nepenthes. It didn't have any pitcher and it looked stressed so I asked if she could give me a discount. She said what about $2? Of course I said said yes. It's now the biggest one I have. It has it's first pitcher just starting, so maybe soon I'll be able to tell what kind it is.

Ozzy, sounds like you got a great deal. Buying Neps without pitchers is no big deal, because you know that they will make them once you get them into better conditions.
I'm fairly new to growing Neps, only starting to grow them last summer, but I got several in various states of decline just to test my ability to grow them. I figure that I can bring a plant back to health from poor to healthy, then I can be relatively sure that I can grow them with some measure of success. Then I bought a few neps from Exotic Gardens and nothing compares to them. Those have decided to overextend their alloted growing space and are too quickly overtaking my enclosure. Thanks alot PFT (just kidding).
Lowe's and sometimes independent nursuries are good about giving discounts, but Home Depot seems to be less likely to.

One more thing, I did find what looks like a N. truncata at a HD recently and that's the first time I've seen one of those in my area. Didn't even ask for a discount because it was in great condition other than having no pitchers but hopefully it will be making it's first one soon.

Good luck with your new treasure!

Alan

Back