What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scale insects

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I am looking for advice on treating a infestation of scale insects on my S. psittacina. I have been picking them off, and I did cut a few pitchers off that just had too many on it. I am looking for others who have had experience removing these pests. What methods work, which did not, and what chemicals are safe for cps.

I have thought about cutting the entire plant down and letting it regrow hoping the scale did not hide in the new leaves. I have also thought about dunking the plants in water for a few hours to drown the scale insects.

Thanks,

Nick

This should be very interesting! I hate scale insects! I had them on a Drosera I purched bare root, no leaves, just a crown and manged to pick all of them off before they got a foothold. I was very lucky (so far)!
mad.gif

I have had infestations on non CP plants and have never been succesful in ridding the plants of the infestation. I don't like using chemicals which does'nt help.

Good luck Nick, I hope people post some good advice!

Glenn

I have used Orthene for years. It is a systemic and gets scale, thrips, wooly aphids, etc. It smells awful, but it works. I have never had it damage any of my CPs. Either spray it on the plant or use a q-tip soaked in Orthene applied to desired locations.

If metasystox is still on the market, that will also work. Rubbing alcohol should get them, but experiment with it first, to make sure it doesn't hurt the plant.

The whole complex of aphids, scales, etc.. are difficult because of their waxy outer coatings. Stuff like the pyrethroids just bounces off them.

I start with a 50/50 mix of 99% isopropyl alcohol and water.
Then I increase the alcohol concentration as far as the plant can take it. this usuallyy takes a few weeks to nock things completely out.

Back