What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have two questions

i bought some more plants from Lowes- one is nice size square pot with a lid onit and it has three big plants in it. sundew -pitcher of some kind amd flytrap- my question is they are all grwoing together and look healthy but when will i now that they need to have there own pots from lack of space? is space a issue? also i bought another cobra lily since i'm not sure the other one i tryed to save will come back- these one looks pretty healthy - i took the plastic lid off while it was outside and i check on it acouple hrs later and all the plants were very wilted... so i watered it really good and it drank the water but didn't purk up at all. so i put the lid back on the pot- should i leave the lid on acouple days until it comes out of the shock or whatever made it unhappy? thanks

I got the same cube of plants a couple of months ago.  Basically, I would wait until they resume growth and get over their shock, before repotting.  Then by all means repot!  I had 3 plants crammed into a 1inch square.  Their roots were all tangled up and it was a nightmare.  I would leave the covers on the other plants until they are touching the glass/plastic.  I find they help tremendously in plant's growth. Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

The first thing I did when I got that combo pack. I got home and repotted the plants into sperate pots. I did before there roots would become tangled. And I threw away the cube thing I came in, since it has no drainage holes.

PT2

yeah all the plants i bought there - cobra in its little pot was full no roots out the bottom. the cube was packed full so thats why i took the lid off. they are all growing right on top of each other so i'm scared to try to repot them and harm them doing so..... i drilled four holes in the bottom of the plastic cube for drainage. but like next year or whenever what kind of sign would they give me if they needed more space? like in the wild are they growing on top of each other and other plants? thanks again

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SnowyFalcon @ Aug. 02 2003,8:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I had 3 plants crammed into a 1inch square.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
HOLY CHRISTMAS CRAB!!! (there I go again with my bizzarre figure of speech! ) And what h*** hole did you find this in?! That's just... wrong.
mad.gif

lowes - but like i said they are all very big and healthy looking

Wow... I can't believe anyone would put anything in a one inch pot... that's just... GAAAAAAAH
mad.gif

no diff then cacti being in one pot- acouple plants- cacti love to be in small pots- i have some large ones i have had for years......... and are in small pots still

FTG,

When I said 1 inch, I meant all the growth centers were basically crammed right next to each other. The pot (one of those cube things) was bigger, my estimate would be 4 inches wide. It was like brain surgery trying to separate them. But it was from Lowes, what do you expect!!
tounge.gif

SF

Oh... I see now. I was about to say, "Do they even make one inch pots???" LOL!

I took a ride up there after we had chatted the other night and the sales girl told me to save the receipt, all Lowes plants are guaranteed for one year. She also told me that they have to be in the original pots, so save them.

i bought one of those "bug biting terrariums" once.  same deal, it had a cobra lilly, a sun dew, and a vft in it...

got home, separated them and potted them up in 3 different pots...  i feel for ya, jeff.  i really do!  i know what you will go through trying to separate them!

now i have a cobra in one pot that's growing, but nothing spectacular as it's outside with all of my sarrs with no special attention given to it, and literally a 6" pot full of d. adelae!

my belief on the wilting is that the sudden change in humidity is the cause.  you can slowly open the lid over time and let them acclimate gradually.  i just pulled the lids off and transplanted them right away.  

good luck!

peace,
technoracer
also in ohio...

you dont cool your darlings roots?

believe it or not, no. at first i had it potted in a 4 inch pot, and the birds kept digging it up. about half a dozen times in all! finally, i potted it in a 6" pot that's about 6" deep, in a mix of lfs, peat pearlite, and orchid bark (if i remember right). i made the mix kind of "airy", hoping that it would help keep the roots cool. so far, it's worked. of course, it's been kind of cool this summer in ohio, with lots of rain, so i am sure that has helped a bit.

technoracer

I have several small pots with various plants in them. One is a beautiful Japanese bonsai pot with dente and spatulata in it. They might be a little crammed, but they don't seem to mind and they look wonderful. If you really don't have to move them, why not let them grow together... like a little mini bog. They compliment each other very well. If tons of roots come out of the bottom of the pot, think about repotting.
smile.gif

That's my two cents...
smile.gif

One issue you must remember when you buy these plastic cubes of plants is the dormancy factor. Those packaging the plants just stick a variety of CPs in there without regard to the fact that they each may require different care (sunlight, water, humidity, soil mix, dormancy).

They are usually packed with a VFT, an s. pupurea and a sundew or butterwort. The sundews are typically tropical (adelae or capensis) which does not need dormancy but the other two do. So at some point you must separate them to provide dormancy in the winter.

They look cute all crammed together in the cube but it is far from the best way to care for them. Remember the seller could care less what happens to these plants once they get their money.
confused.gif

Suzanne

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PlantAKiss @ Aug. 02 2003,9:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Remember the seller could care less what happens to these plants once they get their money.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
*Sigh* Unfortunately that seems to apply to a lot more than just CPs....
sad.gif

Steve

thanks for all the help guys/girls

Back