What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidity

I've seen the hygrometers sold in the pet stores, but they are rather expensive. About &#365 for a small piece of plastic and a needle/pointer. Is there another way to measure humidity?

Your only other option is to get a digital thermometer/hygrometer instead of the little plastic thing. However, the digital stuff is much more expensive. I saw it in a store named brookstone, and it was selling a &#3660. It's very precise, but i would rather spend &#365 on a not quite as precise piece of plastic (which i did
smile.gif
).
Just some FYI.

Joel

Yeah, that hair hygrometer would make a great project for all you DIY people.
smile.gif

Seriously, I bookmarked the site and may try it sometime. And thanks Dyflam for the ultra-obscure tidbit!

BTW, I too use a cheap plastic meter from HD.

Chris

There is another way to measure humidity!!!!
You need to use 2 thermometers' you hang both of them at the same place leave the first one as it is. Surround the second thermometer knob with cotton shoelace that it other end in glass of water the water is going up the shoelace and bring the thermometer knob to humidity environment to 100%.
It called at that way dry and wet thermometers the dry one measur the air temp. with his humidity and the wet one measur the air temp. as in 100% humidity.
The reading of the 2 thermometers different temperature can translate to the air humidity by a table you sure can find in the right science books.If you wouldn't find it I think I can find it for you scan and e-mail it. I'm not sure how cheap it would be but as you asked for another way to measure humidity I hope it could help you.
Sorry my English isn't so good to explain it in better way but I sure if you get in contact with science teacher he could help you with.
arie

(Edited by arie at 6:27 am on April 3, 2002)

Thanks all,

When I find time, I'll try both you guy's suggestions. I've got plenty of thermometers laying around
smile.gif

arie,

What you described is called a psychrometer or relative humidity meter. Good idea and thanks.

you are right
and the only thing you need to use it is that table to calculate the humidity
arie

I jst use the &#365.00 plastic ones I found at Walmart in the fall. Bought 3 of them, they are maybe 4 inches high and sit in a corner out of the way in the terrium.

I like the concept described by Arie though. Would have made a good science project when the kids were in jr. high. Will have to try it.

Linda ö¿ö

Back