What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Since I have misslocated my Plant progress thred and it was getting to long to easly be read. I'm picking up here. So after a few months too bussy to do this, here it is again
smile.gif

Overall News: Ooops!
During my insain summer, I managed to burn all but two pots of plants when forgetting to water on time. Thankfully, casuaties where low.

VFTs:
Snapper (Typical): While suffering a light singeing, this plant shruged off it's little misshap and is currently behaving in it's standard mini rossetted way. It has also been weened to living without a terrarium.

Big Red (Typical): Not as big as it can reach, but sporting many lovly magenta mouthed traps, this plant is A-OK. It also ate a cool fly thing in frunt of me the other day.

Green (Typical): Well, it still looks like it's dieing, but it looks more alive then it has since last erm... november when it crashed on me. Heck, it even fully forms traps now, lol. Still poor pigment and wimpy little stubs for most leaves, but a marked improvment overall. I figure next spring it will be as good as new.

Little Red (Red Dragon): Doing quite well, but lost a good 7 leaves from the burn. However, it has 12 or so left so not too worry. Actually, it seems in a rather good mood making traps much much larger then last year. Unfortunetly, the sphagnum living with it is doing less successfully and still battles with that odd fungi.

Babies: Oh my gosh, they ate a gnat. Is that weird or what, they are so super itty bitty. Oh and they are growing very well.

Neps.
Little Gulp (Ventricosa 'Red&#39
wink.gif
. Outch, lost three leaves and two pitchures to the burn. On the bright side, it's still growing strong and making new leaves and pitchures weekly. However, little can be said for overall growth since December.

Sarrs.
Northern Purples: Two babies, yes, two! Of all TWO to sprout are growing strong!
biggrin.gif
They even have started to turn purple and one has an itsy bitsy 'mature' pitchure already. Total plant size is about 1 inch long for each pitchure and 5 pitures each. They sprouted this spring so that seems like good growth to me.

Sundew:
Alicea: Not much in the growth department, but still kicking along.

Spatulata: About the same as Alicea.

Mini Mystery: AHHHH! Grow DANG IT! ... For those coming in late, these things sprouted in october of 2002 and quickly grew to about 1 cm in diameter. Then they just stayed their. You can hardly even see the dang things and my camera can't focus on them, thats how tiney they are. In all other regards however, they are doing fine, and are nice and super magenta. Amazingly, all survived the burn without signs of damage.

Capensis:
Typical: The Burn took out a few, but one very large and a few smaller ones survived. A good thinning meathiod I guess.

Alba/Albino/whatever: They took the burn a bit worse. I think just the one big plant survived, but I thought it was just the one typical untill some tiney new shoots poped up in the last day or so. Hopefully I'll have one of each seed batch surviving. On the bright side, the surviving plant has it's first two mature(long) leaves, aws.

ButterWarts:
Mexican: Ahhhh, 4 aborted flowerstaulks, why, why does it keep making them and then stoping after the first inch! Oh yah, and as you may have guessed, this is a newcomer. I don't really know this plants rythems yet... actually, it doesn't seem to care what the heck I do to it because all it does is make 1 inch flower staulks and abort them while kicking out 3-5 new leaves a week. Ovious an exact subspiecies can't be asigned untill it flowers so it's extra anoying. However, it's seemingly unkillable nature sugests that it's a good starter plant and I'm starting to think that should it ever learn to reproduce it would make an interesting weed. Oh well.

So thats it. I basically spent my summer abusing and nearly killing my plants, feeling stupid and then repeating the process. The scary part is, they still look better then they did when I got them so I can't be doing everything wrong
wink.gif

wow! I'm glad your plants are OK! Try raising the humidity for your pinguicula, it should help the stalks actually grow!
wink.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif

see ya around
wink.gif

-Spec

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ July 17 2003,01:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow! I'm glad your plants are OK! Try raising the humidity for your pinguicula, it should help the stalks actually grow!
wink.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif

see ya around
wink.gif

-Spec[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oh! Super Thanks Spec! When everyone said they COULD grow just fine without a terrarium I totally forgot to ask if they did better with higher humidity *doh*. I'll move it into a terrarium and see what happens. I just hope it didn't already burn out trying all those other times
tounge.gif

Update:
Today I set my october seedlings in a terrarium of water (no lid, plastic fish tank type) and set in the sun. They are the first of what I hope to eventually be my entire collection to move out side this year because the weather is finally acting stable.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ July 15 2003,11:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mini Mystery:  AHHHH!  Grow DANG IT! ... For those coming in late, these things sprouted in october of 2002 and quickly grew to about 1 cm in diameter.  Then they just stayed their.  You can hardly even see the dang things and my camera can't focus on them, thats how tiney they are.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I can;t be sure w/o a picture, but you may have some pygmy sundews, natives of the austrailian desert which get about as big around as a dime, max (And those are the big species). If you want to know more, there's a whole section on them in The Savage Garden, but suffice to say that microscopic is about as big as they're going to get.

Hiya Cynic! I put a picture and more info on the mystery plant forum. But your right in suspecting a pygmi. I think they might be that too, however one of the weird subspiecies of spatulata is also in question.

Update:
I think I killed my Alicea. Yes, 1 hour in the light and every other plant was happy and showing renewd life... except the alicea which are now brown.... *SUPID DARCIE*(bangs head on desk).

Anyhoo, hopefully they will come back. On the bright size, my mini dews jumped for joy at the extra light so that is pointing more and more twords a high sun loving varient. Maybe if I put them in their own pot and outsize they will grow a bit.

In other news:
My shagnum nursery is growing out of hand and I should move it into pots... but.... I still have a some funky fungi attacking my old sphagnum and I don't want to infect the new batch
tounge.gif

Also:
Every one have recoverd (exclueding the alicea) from the water forgetting thingy two weeks ago. And, Green, my stupid always healf dead flytrap, is actually starting to regularly send up new growth
wow.gif
Unfortunetly, they still have funky mutant traps, but at least it is getting better.

Finally: I get to go to the Gardens again today and hopefully buy a new plant! Yay!

Well, I finally did it, I've killed my Sundews. After making almost every mistake thinkable to these seedlings, now, almost 1 year later I finally screwed up enough to kill them. That little burn last week, well it did more damage then at first seen and now every single sundew (exclueding the mini freaks) is brown. My only hope is that something comes up from the roots. For those who haven't caught on yet, I'm not really a sundew person... or rather, I always seem to learn about them after the fact (despite efforts to know ahead of time). So, my sundew collection has been reduced to 5 mini freaks, 1 Capensis 'alba' and 2 capensis 'typical'. However, I've decided to take the losses in stride and try my best to learn from my mistakes, irronically enough... or hinting at my better knowledge with these plants, the vft living with the now dead sundew did fine and the sphagnum is growing better. Oh well, lets hope I do better with future lots.

Back