What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lazy people have black thumbs or

Jeff, I hope your tounge has stopped bleeding by now!
wink.gif
Watching the ICPS list, you'll see only one person seriously arguing against PFT - and I am quite sure nearly all others do think this forum is very nice for the CP community and serves very well for what it is supposed to! I was also on the way to post my thoughts to the ICPS list, but thinking of whom I should start arguing with, I decided this is not worth my effort (try searching the ICPS archives...) .

In fact I do believe this thread has brought much attention to PFT which at least will have a good outcome for the forum. Those who are interested in sharing their knowledge and thoughts and also those who are looking for cultural advice will do come here and they will enrich the forum even more!

@greenhouse1: Yes I do know the FAQ Jeff and Phill had prior to the server crash and if you read my post carefully, I hope it gets clear why I made this proposal. - Although my mother language is obviously not english and also my cultural background and my style is different from most other members of the forum I do hope it is quite understandable. So, when making such a proposal of course I do implicitly make an offer to help.

Joachim

My take on it is: people are not necessarily to lazy or unknowledgable to use the search, but rather they are interested in extracting the dialog specific to themselves (translation--people like the idea of posting and getting answers). I bet most people find the site to start with through a search feature; although I'm sure there are many referals also.

I travel the web on research issues frequently and this complaint is common on many forums and message boards as newbies continue to ask the same questions; and I'd lay money that many of them do search first. They still post the question because they either did not understand what the read or they want personal confirmation of what they read.

We are all newbies at some point, and Tamlin this is not a slam at your post, I understand where you are coming from and the help you are giving, I just think it is a moot point. Even the listerserve gets its fair share of begginer questions, but my observation is many of those questions are ignored and not responded to.

Well, that's my dimes worth. :)

Joachim, my apologies to you if my reply seemed negative toward your comments. I assure you it was not. I saw no criticism in your post. I only wanted forum members to know the FAQ will hopefully be back here soon as it was a good feature.
Your command of the english language is excellent and easily understood. I only wish I had your language skills! Also your writing style and cultural diversity make this forum a more interesting place to be.
Bravo to you for offering to help...that is indeed kind of you!

Back