What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lazy people have black thumbs or

Recent posts on the CP listserve were in regard to some of our members reliance on spoon fed advice, when, with a little effort the information can be had from a good websearch;  these comments about "lazy" newbies have made me a little wroth. (Wroth is the pleasant way of saying *moderated by Tamlin*)  So, I hope that since the whole world is watching our conduct here at PFT, that new growers ("newbies") will demonstrate that this is not the case.

I did a little pondering, and I think some of those comments were sometimes on the mark.  The information is out there in cyberspace, but, not everyone is skilled at websearching.  This is a suggestion for a method that will let you often answer your own questions as to how to grow a particular plant.  That answer is always tied up with how a particular plant grows, and where!

Personally, I would not accept a species into my stewardship and care that I did not already research.  I like learning about the climate and place where the plants grow, it helps me tailor conditions as closely as possible to the plants habitat and preferance.  Little things make big differences in the culture of these plants!

This is one method I use.  Say I want to grow a species of Drosera that I have never grown.  Lets take an example.....Drosera burkeana will do, but this works for any genera.  My first stop is to visit the accurate and up to date CP database at:

http://www2.labs.agilent.com/bot/cp_home

Then I type in the Genus and species name.  If you get a "No match found" it means 1 or 2 things: either you typed the name mis-spelled, or the name is not a legitimate species.

The most recent published account is listed in boldface.
The reference tells you where the description is published, and more importantly for growers, where the type plant was collected.  In this case we see Magaliesberg as one of the stations where the plant was found.

Going to google search, I now type in "Magaliesberg climate",  I check the "travelouges" under "climate" and quickly get a view of the plants world: in this case Magaliesberg proves to be mountainous, and this tells me nights there have a good temperature drop.  I like to take it as far as I can, so I would also research the other location sites, and see if they all have similar elevations: if so, the temperature drop may well be a requirement, not an option and vs vs.

A plus to this, is you will find that you pick up a lot of the global picture in this research process.  The geography, climate and commerce of South Africa in this example.  Pretty soon you get to feeling like a world traveller!

So, by visiting the CP data base and then typing the collection site ____ and adding the one word "climate", you can access the habitats of almost any species of CP.  Often many species are rare or difficult in cultivation, only because the habitat factors were overlooked.
Knowledge is power.

Next step is to run a general search on "Drosera burkeana cultivation" and explore the links generated by this.  Eventually you will find Archives where the very questions you have asked were already answered, possibly by many different growers.

I encourage members here to check this out.  Many of us will never set foot anywhere near to many of these habitats, and this just adds another fascinating dimension to growing these plants with a green, not a black, thumb.

biggrin.gif
sorry
biggrin.gif

i thought you were angry at us for asking stupid questions
biggrin.gif

cool thing i found the Edit.

Joel

hmm, im a new comer here, and from my internet experience i can tell you, theres a lot of bogus websites out there, thats why i kinda feel more comfortable asking questions here, because the people here are tried and true, like you for instance, we just got a good source of information from you that will help a lot, less gamble coming from you because, 1. your a moderator, and 2. your living experience, not a gambling bogus website search, so your info, just knocked down a lot of searching for a lot of people, i think the " stupid questions" has led to this bit of information, the real topic i think is, if you dont ask questions, your only as smart as you can learn, or as limited as your tongue, just my opinion, one of a newbie, thats all, oh yeah, we were all newbies at one time or another, about everything
smile.gif

ccrider

HI Ccrider,

You're most definitely right in your post. We are or were all newbies... which makes this forum great! I dont' think there's really anywhere else you can go and get the information you get here as a beginner.

I think Tamlin makes a good point though. I saw the topics in which he refers to in the ICPS list serv. They're a bit harsh but not far off from reality.

WE get a lot of people in here that if they took even 10 seconds to search THIS site, they'd find the information that they're looking for. And if they don't ... certainly ask!
smile.gif
But it is true. We get repeat questions all the time, which can get annoying, when you know the info is in the archives... and the search button is at the top of EVERY page.

So, yes... some people are lazy. Some people just need to learn to dig a bit... but if you have a question, don't be discouraged... ask away!
smile.gif

Just a note I did not see the search function till about a week ago.
biggrin.gif
You really should feel sorry for those people who are hoplessly lost in their own little worlds, we are people too ya know:D
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
they are pleasant places most of the time but hard to get out of.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

so true, people should read up here more, i spend about 20 minutes a day here now! lol. but, i think it would take days just for me to read through here. im learning a lot, but have so much to ask
biggrin.gif
i think its a lot like lets say, an electronics store, if 20 people come in and ask about the new sony recievers out on their shelves and reps help them, they keep coming back, because the customers are saying to themselves, oooo, nice! warm! cozy! oooo! and they come back for more products, thats my favorite place for electronics, they will always be there to help! now instead, same scenario, but!, reps say, tsk! dont be so lazy! look on the box! check the sales papers! call sony!, i think i would, and so would most people, go to another store, those reps are rude! mean! viscious! lol, well, not that bad, lol, thats why i love this place, petflytrap, has the help, and the warmth, and the, oooooooo, cozy! feeling, that makes you comfortable, and want to come back, for info, and plants, and acc. thats why i rate this site #1 its not the quantity of plants, its the quality of this site, its A #1! maybe a newbe forum page is in order? put all beginner question stuff there? knocks a lot of the tension out of the air!
tounge.gif
just another thought, until my plant needs more fresh souls...mwahahahaaa

ccrider

ccrider1016,
Be kinda hard though to keep the newbies seperated from the old bees. As you pointed out, we were/are all newbies at one time.  I consider myself an old hand at growing VFTs.  I have never had trouble growing them (once I quit useing tap water).  But sundews and Sarracenia are new to me this year.  So with them I'm a newbie and having to learn them and their preferences.  It's nice to have the forums to get answers quickly.
 Maybe Phil and Jeff can light up that search button to make it more visible.  It took me a couple days to find/notice it, too.  Just when I gave up, there it was in plain sight
wow.gif

biggrin.gif

Ok guys
smile.gif
You got it.

I'll work on getting the search more visibility... and making a few efforts to get people to serarch first for basic questions
smile.gif

I too have been reading the listserv and keeping up with the latest debate. While I think some comments were unnecessarily harsh they do raise a very good point. We are all capable of typing a few words into a search engine and finding some of this info ourselves. Remember, these guys aren't paid to do this.. they do it in their free time and out of their kindness and concern for the plants and their future. How many times can we expect them to answer the same questions? How many ways can you tell some one not to use tap water? Or why their VFT's traps are turning black? Do some research.. search this site.. search the  Carnivorous Plant FAQ Show the more experienced growers that we newbies can do some of the work ourselves and meet them halfway!
smile.gif

If you need advice on where to search.. ask! Read Tamlin's post above and search the site you're at right now. There's tons of wonderful information right here on petflytrap.com..
Just my two cents
biggrin.gif

No. I am not angry, far from it: I enjoy helping. This is more in the line of "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he can feed himself." I just want you all to make an effort to learn, because it enriches you and adds dimension to this hobby. If the answers are hard to find, I may know them, and of course will share. Or, perhaps you will teach me. I don't know it all by a longshot. The more research that is done, the better all way around.

I do not favor a section for newbies only. Newbie is a generalization and as such is automatically meaningless. We are all newbies, and as we learn, we all have something to teach. I am very much a newbie with most CP species. My expertise lies with Drosera species and Utricularia species. With Pings and Neps I keep my lips zipped and my ears open.

CCRider: you can get freeze dried souls in the shoe department of your local walk in freezer. Keep them in plasticine envelopes until needed. Not as good as fresh souls, but.........

nice addition to point out the search button
biggrin.gif

William,

before taking the criticism of petflytrap to serious, please do think of whom is posting them - and now I do follow your mothers advice...

Being a moderator of the german CP-forum I can tell you, that we do also have lots of people not searching our forum or the web prior to posting their questions. First I did not understand why this happened, but when you do see youngsters starting aged 10 years or even younger with CP and also being new to the internet - well they simply haven't got the chance to learn how to do this right. This is not true for all those youngsters, of course and yes there are much older ones, still not knowing how to do it. But I do think it is totally up to us to show them, how to gather information they are looking for without asking 'silly' questions!

From what we learned a good FAQ does cover most of the absolute beginner-problems and does help very much. What I would think of being very nice for this forum would be a FAQ-section in every category (i.e. as fixed first thread) which should be regularly updated by the moderators, the experts in their field - and with the help of the members of course. This would make it easy for new members to check out their questions in there, because they know the information is right and they know it will be easy to find. (This is in no way a critic on Jeff's and Phil's approach to create a FAQ! - But I do think this will be just too much work for them.)

Joachim Danz

do the freeze dried souls come super thrive induced, or are they el natural?
tounge.gif

Joachim,

Point taken, mom's are always right, Lol. (My distress was momentary). I guess I just have a soft spot for newbies because I remember very well starting out myself. I completely agree with you, teaching the skills needed to find the answers is what is needed, not discouraging comments about questions being "stupid" or people being "lazy".

The concept of a FAQ is a good one, and as the members of PFT continue to grow, it will probably become a necessity. Fortunately, for right now there is still room for more personal contact. I like the personal contact: it shows the world to be a friendly place, a fact easily distorted by political and media agendas.

CC Rider: what do the C.C. stand for? Always wanted to know that. As to the freeze dried, super thrived souls: just check the label (written in latin to avoid confusion).

i used to be in a motorcycle club, that was my nickname for them, just kinda stuck since then, lol, also, it goes into ref. of that ol elvis
smile.gif

ccrider

(its also the first initials of my name, how that all worked out i dont know, ironic&#33
wink.gif

oh yeah, bout the souls, LOL!

I do not understand what the point is of this topic? I do not want to be rude. I have no problem with new people posting questions that repeat. Why? New people come to this forum everyday with new ideas.

As for FAQ's it is really nice but not every one is going to check it (example me).  I realize it is a great tool but when I was new to the forum I really never looked at it (sorry). My thought was here is a forum in which you ask questions. It is nice as a guideline once you become formulize with the setup.

I also use search engines to further my knowledge on cps before I ask a question. But sometimes it is good to ask a question even though it has been answered by other websites. Of course I can not think of a good question right now (not good for my defense
wink.gif
) If you want me to come up with an example say so and I will.

I have reviewed the topic over and I am still confused  
confused.gif
? Sorry. I am here to help - weather I answer the same question 10 million times - at least that means I helped 10 million people and I am happy
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

travis
smile.gif

I think the point of this post was just what Tamlin said it was to teach a man to Fish. He was not telling people to stop even asking stupid questions he was puting afishin pole in the peoples hands so they can contribute more and ask less.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I guess I just do not understand? I will just bow out
smile.gif
. No hard feelings if any.
smile.gif
wink.gif

travis
smile.gif

Guys/Gals ( can't you tell I am from Texas
smile.gif
)

The whole point of this topic is in response to something that was started by some ICPS memebers on their listserv.

It was in reference to PFT.com and the people that inhabit this place.

Tamlin's post is 'a challenge' to people, to prove that what 'they' are saying about us isn't true.

I will not get into detail about what has been said....My thoughts aren't nice.
smile.gif

I have bitten my tounge so hard, it has started to bleed!

Just know, that nothing here will change. Things that have gone on will continue to do so.

No one be afriad to ask something...but also just note what is being said.

I hope it makes sense and I am sorry about being vague.
confused.gif

We used to have an FAQ section here on the site until they unexpectedly lost their server and had to change to a new one. They simply haven't had the time to reinput all the information for the FAQ again. I know they are working on getting it reestablished and we all look forward to that. So for now we'll just have to do the best we can and encourage new members to browse the forum for previous questions similar to theirs that may have the answers they need..and give them whatever assistance we can to help them find their way in the search engine world. Often they are just looking for some direction in their quest.

Back