What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi Everyone

If you are in the area, set aside the following date: Saturday, October 11, for The First Annual New England Carnivorous Plant Society Show!!! It will be at Roger Williams Park Greenhouse in Providence, Rhode Island. 11 am to 8pm, $3.00. And BE SURE TO STICK AROUND UNTIL IT GETS DARK, because...

It also happens to be opening weekend for the nationally acclaimed Haunted Pumpkin Trail at The Roger Williams Park Zoo. This is a 3 acre trail with over 5,000 professionally carved illuminated pumpkins. Check out http://www.rwpzoo.org/jackolantern/code/spectacular.html:

But getting back to OUR show:

We will have:
Plant raffles, including a drawing open to anyone who votes in the "Best Plant" nomination.
Carnivorous plants for sale, by both vendors and NECPS members who have donated plants. A great way to get some unusual things for you collections.
A feeding station, with regularly scheduled VFT feedings on VideoCamera.
A sneak-peak at Jim Miller's CP DVD project!!!
FREE seminars
If you live far away, we are trying to get a block of rooms at a local hotel.

Also:
Meet renowned Cephalotus grower Jeff Matteson, who's ceph photos and tips were just published in The Austarlian CP Newsletter.
Meet PFT moderator "Schloaty", and check out his Nepenthes including the prized baby Nepenthes aristochoides!
See some of John Phillips' amazing Nepenthes too - he'll have to rent a Uhaul just to get them all to the show.
Check out some of the biggest flytraps you have ever seen (Nathan, can you post a picture?
confused.gif
?)
Meet and pick the brain of tissue culture expert Ken Uhnak - this guy got a Doctorate working with Carnivorous plants!!!!!
Matt Opel, of The University of Connecticut, will bring his award winning, dragonfly catching, Roridula dentata and other amazing plants too. Rumor has it he's donating some VERY nice things to the NECPS sale table. Last spring I got an "Amorphophallus konjac" bulb from him that - I kid you not - was as big as a football! Right now, the plant is nearly 6 feet tall.....woe to the neighborhood next spring!
Kirk Martin will have on display his stunning award winning Sarracenia that he, "..doesn't do anything to..." Ya, right, Kirk.

There will be plenty of other members and plants. Everyone is welcome. We would love to meet you and answer any questions you may have. If you come and ask me nicely, I might just let you in on my Venus Flytrap cookie recipe.......

Wild Bill

An Enthusiastic New England Carnivorous Plant Society member.
www.NECPS.org
wow.gif

Awesome! Send that plane ticket to me and I'll gladly come to the show!
tounge.gif
And if i CAN come, schloaty's gonna have to teach me some karate!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Hmmmmmm..

I know Southwest Airlines goes in to TF Green Airport in Providence.

WildBill

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Meet PFT moderator "Schloaty", and check out his Nepenthes including the prized baby Nepenthes aristochoides!
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, you're soooo gonna get it!
tounge.gif

The NECPS webpage has more info on the show.  Everyone in the vicinity, please try to make it, because a good showing this first show will make it much easier to get support in the future.  There will be several vendors there - save on shipping and avoid travel shock for that rare CP you always wanted!

Oh yes, and anyone who doesn't come will miss out on the excellent posters Bill made (complete with beautiful illustrations) demonstrating the trapping mechanism of different CPs.

See you soon!

PS There's a poster you can download on the page to print out and post up around town, if you feel so inclined.
wink.gif

PPS Bill: photos coming soon, but those who are impatient can look through the gallery - there are photos gallore.

Ugh Rhode Island? Make it Albany or Watertown NY and I'll be there. But no go to RI!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ugh Rhode Island? Make it Albany or Watertown NY and I'll be there. But no go to RI![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Come on, man! Make a weekend of it!! Bring the familiy! Visit all of historic Providence!
tounge.gif

Here are some photos from last Saturday's meeting:

20030920-NECPS-%238-CP-display-OPA-Bill%20Matthews-D.muscipula.jpg

A big ol' flytrap. I call this planting, "The Bug Boneyard"

20030920-NECPS-%238-Wild%20Bill%27s%20VFT%20cookies.jpg

My VFT cookies

20030920-NECPS-%238-silent%20auction-N.pilosa,N.ephippiata,N.rafflesiana,N.truncata,N.sanguinea,D.muscipula%20%27akai%20ryu%27,D.adelae,etc..jpg

Silent Auction items

20030920-NECPS-%238-CP-Charles%20H.%20Smitt%20Greenhouses-bog%20garden-Nepenthes,%20blueberry%20and%20cranberry%20(Vaccinium),%20Sarracenia,%20Drosera-John%20Phillip,Frank%20Meglio,Jeff%20Matteson.jpg

Working on the bog in the greenhouse

Thank you Nathan (NECPS webmaster) for the great pictures.

Wild Bill

You forgot one, Bill...
20030920-NECPS-%238-Wild%20Bill%20and%20his%20VFT%20cookie.jpg

I don't even want to know what's inside that cookie, Bill...

Heh heh

Awwww...I wanna go!
confused.gif

Great pics.
smile.gif
But I see those lumps in the VFT cookies...I wanna know what's in them! Hmmmmmm??

Hi Plant a Kiss -

Inside them?? Something crunchy, something chewy!

I just saw the initial list of things NECPS members are donating for sale! I may throw in a rooted Nep khasiana x ventricosa too.

WildBill

Growin growin growin....let's get those planties growing, boy that seed pod's swollen, CP'S!

12 days and counting.....
biggrin.gif

Holy Smokes!!!!!!!!!

An Aaaamazing somebody who you all know from these forums just offered to donate plants for sale at the show!!!! I think I will let them make the official announcement......

I'm gonna have to start collecting cans, etc., to scrape up every bit of extra cash I can.

WildBill

PS: anyone going to the show want to start setting up trades??

Awww man, now I really have to figure out how i'm doing everything.
tounge.gif

There are at least two confirmed vendors coming to the show, plus many plants contributed by various kind individuals - this is THE CP event to make it to in the NE this year.  C'mon, make a road trip of it!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lithops care info:  If you take care of it, it will die. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Vertigo, now i understand why i never could keep those alive. *sigh*

More incentive everyone -

Tony Paroubek is donating a box of plants for sale at the show!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Tony!!!!!!!!!

I just can't wait until the 11th! With the concurrent event going on at Meadowview, I'd say it's going to be a fabulous day for CPers.

WildBill

Little heads up for folks going to the show...

Plants on the way for the society fundraiser include:
Ceph. follicularis
H. minor Auyan Tepui
N. ephippiata
N. diatas meadow form
N. muluensis
N. fusca Sarawak form
N. veitchii Hose mountain highland, gold peristome
N. spectabilis x veitchii

Tony

WOW! I wish I could drive all the way across the country to get a shot at those plants. That's amazing!

SF

Tony, you rock!  Those are all amazing species, and i hope i can pull together enough green to go home with one!

The hamata i got from you will be on display, as it has perked up nicely now.  

I'm so excited!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SnowyFalcon @ Oct. 08 2003,07:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WOW!  I wish I could drive all the way across the country to get a shot at those plants.  That's amazing!

SF[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I wish i could drive over 1000 miles of ocean! LOL

Have fun on saturday!
biggrin.gif

Back