What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet another english lesson

I have seen quite a few run-on sentences here, and it gets annoying and confusing after a while, example:
hello i like sarracenia they grow good but there is a bug i am scared what do i do they r 2 inches long, etc
tounge.gif

correction:
tounge.gif
:p
Hello, I like Sarracenia, they grow good for me, but there is a bug. I don't know what it is, I am scared, what should I do, they are 2 inches long.
r is not a word, use our, not r or are, when describing something that belongs to you and several other people.
everyone else please add on to this list.
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif

Even better:
Hello, I like Sarracenia. They grow well for me, but there is a bug. I don't know what it is and I am scared. What should I do? It is two inches long.

Note: good=adjective used to describe nouns
well=adverb used to describe verbs
Use question marks and periods:)
Sentences can be run-on even with commas...

I agree with spec, using punctuation and conjunctions is important to understanding a sentence. I know this is the internet, and we tend to slack off some, but try to use that comma key. For example, try to interpret the following sentence without puncuation:
-That that is is that that is no is not-
anybody want to take a guess as to how it should be written?

Dose = a measured amount of something.  As in a dose of medicine.

Does = 3rd person singular, present tense of Do (I love my dictionary.  It has lots of pretty pictures:D ).  Does anyone have a Pinguicula for trade?

"wanna" instead of "want to", "gonna" instead of "going to", etc.  The occasional use doesn't bother me.  It's when they are repeated several times in a post.

I'll treat you well, NOT: I'll treat you good... *ahem* *stares at little boyband N*Sync*...

And...

Question marks are for questions.... "Guess What," is not a question. watch out for that!!! Pet Peeve. Hehe...

That that is, is, that that is not, is not. ??

The written word is one of the most powerful tools developed by man.  Like the sword, it has an edge that can cut both ways.  Used improperly it can ruin a person.  When used properly, it can elevate him in the eyes of his peers.  Now and in the future.  Which way do you want it to cut for you?

edit @ 5:25, March 14, 2003

Sorry, I got a little wound up
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
!

Back