What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant names?

Ok I would like to do a little survey here...
biggrin.gif
Some of these cp names are really long/oddly worded/and hard are to pronounce (I believe most are Latin names that is why). How many of you can actually type the whole name with out looking at the correct spelling? The second part is would you be able to pronounce them correctly enough to use them in a conversation? "Yes this is my Nepenthes bicalcarata and Cephalotus follicularis which are my best plants. Now if you look over here you will see my Sarracenia leucophylla."
wink.gif

Now, I truly would not be able to even spell them with out a little thing called copy and paste and let alone pronounce them correctly enough to use in a conversation. So how many of you can say them in a conversation and spell most them correctly with no reference?

Travis

Not me! I can get most of the spelling, but pronunciation is a pain!

SF

I just name all my plants 'Bob'.  Makes it so much easier to type and pronounce.
wink.gif

I can usually type the correct name after about the third to fifth try. Pronunciation is a whole different ball of wax, I pronounce it as I think it should sound but the closest I ahev come to Latin is Spanish and so there is a slight skew to how I pronounce. So while I pronounce it as Pin-gwick-you-la sigh-klo-sec-ta others might call it Pin-goo-i-cool-a sick-lo-sect-a. 95% of the time other know what I am talking about though

I took plant taxonomy in college, with a professor who was a real stickler for latin names. I don't really have a problem with any of them. Once you hear them, and see them over and over for awhile, it becomes easy to at least make an educated guess how something should be pronounced or spelled.

I can pronounce them all perfectly,(;) ) with the exception of 2 nepenthes species. i can even spell nepenthes infundubuluformis and say it right, it is actually pretty easy
smile.gif
Funny thing is, i dont remember the regular spelling of nepenthes infundubuluformis, i think it was eymai? the other one i have trouble with is nepenthes xphioiodes, heh. i can spell an dpronounce any other species, just not those ones. if i got those ones right, I can spell almost all species, 'cept maybe species i haven't heard of
wink.gif

Cephalotus follicularis is easy to spell, they all are. just say it slow-ly
foll-i-cu-lar-is. once you know the pronounciation they are pretty easy to spell
smile.gif

Oh, and travis- Every species of living thing in the world has a scientific name (latin name) f you take a few weeks of latin lessons, and just learn a few root words, you'd be surprised at how easyer it seems to pronounce and spell them
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">nepenthes infundubuluformis [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yeeeah!
rolleyes.gif
Well I never took latin but I can speak fluently in BS.
wink.gif
tee hee

Travis

I took latin but even so, I'm not sure a lot of the time. The "ae" combination can be "ay", "ee" or "eye". I've noticed many people pronounce things differently. Being southern, I say "flah-va" where some say "flay-va" (ven-trah-ta vs. ven-tray-ta"). I would like to know what pronounciation is correct though. But who knows?

I think a lot of the people you THINK would know what's correct are winging it just as much as anybody else.
smile.gif
wink.gif

Maybe Dr. Schlauer should produce a taxonomic pronounciation key for the layperson.
smile.gif

I can do both! (at least with my family's roots so strongly Italian, I have no accent, nor does my dad, but I pronounce a few words differently, so it comes easily!!  
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

I can spell and pronounce every cp name the proper way.

By the way the correct way to say flava is flahhhvu

And I'm lying, I'm probably the worst at spelling and saying the latin names
biggrin.gif
 If it wasn't for cut and paste I would look like a complete idiot.

I'm also not very good with the pronunciation of the genus and species names. I have ways that they sound when I say them in my head, but when I try to say them out loud they don't come out right.

I can spell most or some of them usually, but I use the cut and paste quite a bit too
smile.gif

i'm quite good at writing and saying the names of most cps but sometimes i do it too fast that it soundes a bit emssed up . i don't use cut and paste though .

Hmmm, I am pretty familiar with most of the Drosera species, and how to spell them: but when it comes to the others I rely heavily on spelling listed on Bob Ziemer's website at:

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

Bob draws his information (including spelling) from Dr. Schlauer's CP Database and this makes for a fine central reference: sort of like a Webster's of CP. Keeps me looking good (thanks Bob&#33
wink.gif
:) If it isn't listed on Bob's page, the name is botanically illegitimate. The International Congress of Botanical Nomenclature monitors and maintains all legitimate scientific names, and only the legitimate names will be found there. Just click a Genus, scroll down alphabetically and there you have it.

So, there are a lot of names, and sometimes they become illegitimate and are renamed: it gets pretty thick. I doubt anyone has a handle on the whole show. I certainly don't. Probably Dr. Schlauer does, LOL. A good handy reference is always a good idea though.

I take a lot of pride in this aspect of the hobby. I like to have my information and spellings correct. It does take some effort, but I feel it is worthwhile to appear intelligent: <snort> I got 'em all snowed. >:)

Still, I have taken extensive taxonomy courses in my college years (passed them too&#33
wink.gif
, was raised Roman Catholic in my formative years, and my grandparents came from Italy, so the Latin comes pretty easily. Taxonomy Profs. tend to be pretty fussy about that stuff. For me, the name itself carries a lot of information regarding form and color, location, and significant other data that I might not otherwise have internalized. In the stated case of Nepenthes infundibuluiformis (an invalid species I believe), there is the suffix -formis: i.e. "shaped like..." the prefix: infundibulu/o means "shaped like an infundibulum", or "funnel shaped". So, by the name I can understand the nature of this species without ever having met it, formally speaking.

I want to say a word about common names too. These are the names used by "just folk". Names like "round leaved sundew" or "scented sundew" "bridal veil sundew" were used for many generations by many people. This "homegrown" knowledge was taught and handed down for so many years, and now these names are being forgotten (untaught) in favor of the Latin binomials. It seems a shame and a waste that this should happen, so I encourage everyone to try to keep the old folky names going as well as the new fangeled scienteeefic 'uns. They both have their place I guess.

"What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet!"

----William Shakespear

Hi Tamlin and everyone!

Speaking of local "folksy" names, some of the Sundews have great common names, for example:

D.nitidula = "Shining Sundew"
D.pulchella = "Pretty Sundew"
D.leucoblasta = "Wheel Sundew"
D.pycnoblasta = "Pearly Sundew"
D.scorpioides = "Shaggy Sundew"
D.dichrosepala = "Rusty Sundew"
D.macrantha = "Bridal Sundew"
D.neesii = "Jewel Rainbow Sundew"
D.heterophylla = "Swamp Rainbow Sundew"
D.erythrorhiza = "Red Ink Sundew" (it's tubers were used to make ink)
D.macrophylla = "Snowy Sundew"
          :
          :
         etc ( many more 'Common Names' )...

But for me, the ultimate has to be:

D.intermedia = "Love Nest Sundew" !!

Does anyone know the origin of that name? Could be very interesting!!  
wink.gif

By the way, I found all these names in the book "Insect-Eating Plants - & how to grow them" by Adrian Slack.

wow.gif
6--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (droseraholic @ Oct. 01 2003,8
wow.gif
6)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the way, I found all these names in the book "Insect-Eating Plants - & how to grow them" by Adrian Slack.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
That book you have is like ultra rare to find. I can not believe you have it. You are sooooo lucky. For about 2 years I have been looking for it. It is out of print right now and I do not think they are going to do a 2nd or 3rd edition. I would believe that book goes over a hundred dollars if it is in good condition.  
wow.gif

Travis

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It does take some effort, but I feel it is worthwhile to appear intelligent: <snort> I got 'em all snowed. >:)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

LMAO
smile.gif
tounge.gif

Back