What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant wars

Has anyone ever made their plants fight? maybe having a vft close onto a sudew leaf?

Welcome to the forums Captain Drosera! Anyway, I think that that idea of yours is kind of cruel to carnivorous plants, I mean making them eat each other isn't very helpful to their survival.
sad.gif

they may be plants but they don't brains or feelings but its still cruel like illegal fights between pitbulls or betta fish . i've had venus flytraps close there traps on eachother but they never digested eachother . it would'nt harm them like making the whole plant die , it'll probably make a leaf rot off but thats pretty much it .

Guys,
Your anthropomorphizing (sp?) your plants too much.
rolleyes.gif

I think the most that will happen is that one or the other or both leaves will be damaged. And that is assuming that you can get the VFT trap to stay closed and seal.

alien.gif

I think nothing would happen at all. If I had to guess, both plants secrete similiar compounds and are probably immune to those compounds (otherwise they'd digest themselves). Additionally those componds are probably only targetted toward animal cells not plants cells.

I could be wrong however, as it is possible some of the cells aren't immune to the chemicals.

Nothing would happen. It takes movement to activate the digestive process in cp's. Plus cp growth is to slow to activate any digestive juices. I have had vft traps grow over each other and nothing happens. The same thing with sundew leaves touching each other.

Travis

Now I'm wonder if carnivorous plants can digest other plant material, I would really like to get rid of some weeds growing on some of my pots.

The winner in any 'contest' is easy....

Nepenthes

Have you ever spilt the acid on yourself? It hurts and I've literally got a scare on my knuckle from spilling a bit on it some 5 weeks ago. You do not want to get that stuff in your eyes  
wow.gif

Nepenthes fluid is very nasty. Particulary as N. truncata was to me. I got some on my cheek a while ago while "sloshing" some prey around to drown, then and a little drop shot up and landed on my cheek...I thought nothing of it and continued to swirl the pitcher....minutes later my cheek was itchy and burning...next thing I know I had a red spot. I'd hate to get that in your eyes if it did that to my cheek! If N. truncata did that think of what N. rajah would do!
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Hmm....maybe we could sell it as face wash?
biggrin.gif
"Works in minutes to clear up that dirty face!"

Is it really that bad? Haven't some of us drank nep fluid?
wink.gif

nepenthes gracilis, what species of nep are you talking about? the fluid in my neps never hurt me, its like water. i wish i can have a nep that can create enzymes like that, better to feed bugs to
biggrin.gif
alien.gif
biggrin.gif
. Zongyi

oh, wait, i reread your post. its a truncata. sorry
wink.gif
Zongyi

I drank fluids from a N. ampullaria pitcher before, but the pitcher was unopened. As you can see, I am still alive, I think...

That's an UN-opened pitcher with no acidic activity yet. It didn't really hurt me just left an irritation like I stated earlier. The skin on your face is quite sensitive so it didn't surprize me. Went away within a few hours tho. I would highly suggest don't get it in your eye tho. I measured the pH of some digestive juices and ym meter was reading around 3-4 pH. So it looks pretty nasty to me.

Ive read that some people have drank the fluids from Nep pitchers well after opening, bugs and all
tounge.gif
*gag* I dont grow Neps myself so I dont have any experience with their fluid, its interesting to know its that volitile though. Learn something new every day
smile.gif
gotta love the forums hehe.

Steve

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vft guy in SJ @ Oct. 16 2003,02:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ive read that some people have drank the fluids from Nep pitchers well after opening, bugs and all
tounge.gif
*gag* I dont grow Neps myself so I dont have any experience with their fluid, its interesting to know its that volitile though. Learn something new every day
smile.gif

Steve[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Wonder if it taste like chicken broth?
tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wonder if it taste like chicken broth? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Mine probably tastes more like ant stew!
tounge.gif

SF

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Oct. 15 2003,17:55)]Ive read that some people have drank the fluids from Nep pitchers well after opening, bugs and all
tounge.gif
smile.gif

Steve
true , this only happens when people are desperate to find water and are lsot in these swamps so if i was starnded on a island full of neps with no water except of the water collected in the pitchers , then bon appetite .

Back