What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium

G

I have a 36" by 12" aquarium I'd let to set up for CPs but I'm not sure how to top it. Seems like if I just set a shop light on it the humidity and condensation would cause problems with the light.. And an aquarium hood doesn't provide enough light..
Does anybody have any good plans for a terrarium hood? Preferably affordable ones.. suitable for a poor college student
biggrin.gif

ive seen this in a cooler at a grocery store, you jsut need a simple plastic case on the bottom of the light, so evaportating air doesnt hit it, and youll be ok with the light

Purple,

I have a 55 gallon tank, injected with CO2 (as of last night) 2 48" double light strips on top... (encased in a wood canopy) and you wanna know what my high-tech top is made upof?

smile.gif

Saran Wrap with tape.
smile.gif
(Any plastic wrap will do.)

Won't the heat from the lights melt the saran wrap?
Also, does anyone know where I can buy shop-light light fixtures to fit a 36" terrarium? I can find 36" bulbs at our local stores but nobody sells 3' fixtures
sad.gif

I would go ahead and buy a 4' shoplight or two and then buy a ten galllon tank to put under the extra foot. This is probably cheaper then buying 3' fixtures and bulbs.

I should have figured that one out
biggrin.gif

Oh well, thank you for the good idea. Now I have an excuse to get more plants as well!
tounge.gif

Top for Terrarium:
Have your local plate and glass shop cut a thin piece of plexy-glass to the specifics of the inside rim of your aquarium tank (my ten-gallon was 9.5 by 19.75 inches). Then drill some holes for a handle. I did this myself, and got a 90% humidity in return. The plexy is cleanable, won't melt, and easily removable. For more air circulation, take some plexy off the ends. Good luck

I have used the saran wrap for well over a year now with never a melt in sight, I get well over 90% humidity, and the best part, is it is so thin, I don't lose as much light (wave lengths) as if I used a plexi glass or glass top.

read a post while back about people complain about writin new posts about the samae stuff, BUT
im gonna ask u guys every little detail on help with my terrarium as soon as my leucophylla start growin
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back