What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Hello,
I live in PA. I have bought 1 VFT plant from Lowes, after about 2 weeks I went and purchased another. I have the 1 outside the front of my house, which recieves morning and evening sun. It looks to be doing great. The 2nd 1, I just bought, I was going to keep inside on my south facing window sill. I removed the top clear plastic dome from the plant. The next day all the traps were bent over. I placed the dome back on the VFT and it's doing much better. I decided that I'm not going to try to keep it inside, because I do not have enough humidity and will probably die.
This is what I would like to do. Lowes also sells some type of Pitcher Plant and Sundew. I would like to get a large flat (4" high) pot and place the VFT and either a Sundew or Pitcher planted with it. It will recieve full sun all day. I will need either the Sundew or Pitcher plant to have the same requirements as the VFT, like the dormant period. I saw some pictures were pitcher plants look like they can get really big. So 1 thing I worry about is the VFT and pitcher not looking "equal" if the pitcher gets alot bigger. I'm sure it depends on the species, unfortunatly I do not know which one Lowes sells.
Man this is getting long and wordy. I think you can tell what I'm asking from this. All advice will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Lowes sells S. purpureas and S. rubras. The S. purpureas will not get very tall and will look very nice next to your vft's. S. rubras will get a little taller but they won't get extremly tall. They also look very nice with vft's. All three of these plants grow in the wild together so they will require the same care.
I think you'll be happy with either plant you choose.

ozzy pretty much said it all, but the sundew is probably tropical, and can't have dormancy

Back